Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2016 Hellcat Supercharger Bearings

Member ID
Reactions
City
Montreal
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I suppose this has been asked before but I could not find a thread that dealt with it.
My SC seems to be making noise similar to some YouTube videos I've seen.
From my VIN, the month was July, which I'm not sure if this was the build date or production date.
What month in 2016 was it when the updated supercharger was installed.
Thank you

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Even the later revisions have been found to be noisy.

(I'm not sure of what month they started using newer revision s/c.)

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I’ve taken apart a few blowers from 2015 models to 2017 models, everyone had the same Nachi bearings in the front plate at least. I popped seals off all of them, they all looked the same inside, all where C3 clearance, steel cages on steel balls, same color grease. Like Bull said, I don’t think there’s been a model yet that hasn’t had bearing issues, even rebuilt ones with better bearings.

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
I was very involved with the SC bearing failures from the get go. Sadly you are not going to get any definitive answers from any creditable sources on, well anything. Your best answers are going to come from peeps that have been willing to to some digging both hands on, and in my case behind the scenes research.

So what, where this all started for me personally was at just over 2k miles on my 2015, the dreaded SC bearing noise reared it's head. Shortly after my SC was replace by SRT.

Well I had a lot of questions. So my journey began. The short of it was many peeps I had contact with at time with both 2015 and 2016 Hellcats had the same SC problems I had. I'd say roughly 70+%. So when you hear some Mopar bootlicker tell you it was a small pool of peeps with the issue, I'm here to call BullSh@t. And that it with a capital B.

In some cases people I was in contact with had 2 replacements and sometimes even 3!

So I started with SRT and worked my way up the chain as far as I could get, and of course no one of credible stature would give me anything definitive on the record. It was mostly the off the record Corp nonsense responses. Every now and then I'd get an off the record SRT tech peep who would admit that an inferior bearing was being used. ie tolerances not up to spec on what the top RPM of the IHI SC was capable of achieving. (Stock)

So I ended my charge on that front and focused more on real life people. You know, the you and I type scenario. I reached out to as many peeps as possible at the time and found the most common denominator was the last 2 digits on the SC part# was going to be a very good indicator of you likelihood for failure. Not the year of the car or when it was produced. In my case my SC part# ended in AA.

Seems there were a vast amount of IHI SC part #'s in a very short amount of time. "AA-AF". Why, Who, What...I dunno, but that all seemed to come to a screeching halt with part# ending AG. Peeps with an IHI SC part# ending in AG seemed to have the holy grail of SC's and no more failures. If memory serves me correctly I think I only knew of 3 AG SC failures before I stopped my quest in all this SC nonsense.

Before some ignorant forum troll chimes in, I'd like to clarify that "failure" in the sense of bearings, means any kind of grinding, scratching, or other noise/noises coming from from the Bearing/Housing. I'm not talking about some idiot who takes a failed bearing to the point of catastrophic SC failure...ie scatter/fragging, etc of the SC. Any fool who knows anything about bearings knows, any bearing making noise is a "Failed" bearing.

So with all that out of the way, my advise is look at your SC# part number. It should be located at the rear of the SC by the firewall. (Image below)
SC P#.jpg
If you have anything ending AA-AF I'd be concerned. Also please note that I ended my research into all of this mid 2017. So a lot has probably changed since then. Also the only STAR Case info that was available at this time seems to have vanished. Here is how that use to read at the time. (Image)

STC.jpg

So in closing, if you are hearing something out of the norm...chances are your ears are not deceiving you. If you have a 2015-2017 with an IHI SC part number ending in AA-AF I'd be even more concerned. What you choose to do with this info in entirely up to you however. Good luck!

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I’ve taken apart a few blowers from 2015 models to 2017 models, everyone had the same Nachi bearings in the front plate at least. I popped seals off all of them, they all looked the same inside, all where C3 clearance, steel cages on steel balls, same color grease. Like Bull said, I don’t think there’s been a model yet that hasn’t had bearing issues, even rebuilt ones with better bearings.
A word to note to go along with above from Hemi, the units I’ve had apart where all AA-AF units, I’ve never had a AG unit apart.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
@taderater my 2016 was a late build sometime in late August.
My blower was replaced in 2019.
It started sounding like a bad Ford steering pump. I could hear it in the car with the windows up.
Do you have an extended warranty?
I know you haven't had it long but did the original owner have one?

Last edited:

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I had my 2015 sc replaced in 2019 (AG) with about 42k on it under warranty. I wonder if the AG ones simply have a better bearing, SKF or even FAG?

Last edited:

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Crossed fingers here. My ‘15 is an AF, but with only 5.5k it’s still quiet.

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
Crossed fingers here. My ‘15 is an AF, but with only 5.5k it’s still quiet.
At least you have an AF I'm still running with an AB. :mad::rolleyes:o_O:(

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I`ve asked this before but never got a straight answer, which bearing or bearings are prone to failure .............. snout or rotor.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
My September ‘16 build is still is still quiet at 10.5k miles. I did buy an 8 year Powertrain plus extended warranty because of the potential issue, though.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I`ve asked this before but never got a straight answer, which bearing or bearings are prone to failure .............. snout or rotor.
Mine was making noise in the front and back.
So that bit of info should clear things up.😂

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Here’s what a bad front snout bearing sounds like. Go to harbor freight and get a $10 mechanic’s stethoscope and probe around, you’ll most likely pinpoint the issue with it, it worked on this. Put probe on shout bearing bore while idling was so load in the ear piece there was no doubt where the issue was.
https://youtube.com/shorts/VEy-HYKoGWc

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Here’s what a bad front snout bearing sounds like. Go to harbor freight and get a $10 mechanic’s stethoscope and probe around, you’ll most likely pinpoint the issue with it, it worked on this. Put probe on shout bearing bore while idling was so load in the ear piece there was no doubt where the issue was.
https://youtube.com/shorts/VEy-HYKoGWc
Or the Canadian equivalent Princess Auto.
😉

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Now you have me curious what mine is but being on the back of it guess you can't see on the car
Dug through my pics when I had the blower off putting the spacers on and was able to blow up the pic on my phone, it appears to be AF 20200613_125341.jpg

Last edited:

06SRT10NR

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Knobnation
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat M6
I suppose this has been asked before but I could not find a thread that dealt with it.
My SC seems to be making noise similar to some YouTube videos I've seen.
From my VIN, the month was July, which I'm not sure if this was the build date or production date.
What month in 2016 was it when the updated supercharger was installed.
Thank you
you'll find your build date and hour on a tag on the drivers side door, VIN has no relationship to the build date, just the model year
example:
DSCN0030a.jpg
top center is the date of manufacture {when completed, not when started], in this case finished in Jan 2015
below the barcode, you'll find an MDH [month, day, hour], in this case Jan 12 1400hrs

Edit:
this one began life with an AA, replaced at 17k, if I remember correctly with an AE or AF [don't feel like digging up the paperwork], and that one was replaced at 40-somethingK with an AM. extended warranty turned out to be a wise decision

Last edited:

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
This was the before and after replacement's for mine.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I thought they were all the snout bearings when you were hearing noise?

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Mine was making noise in the front and back.
So that bit of info should clear things up.😂
mine is still quiet an if I pull motor next winter, going with wipple gen 5. try an keep up to those other gang members ( you know who) ;)

OP
taderater
Member ID
Reactions
City
Montreal
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #20
you'll find your build date and hour on a tag on the drivers side door, VIN has no relationship to the build date, just the model year
example:
View attachment 40805
top center is the date of manufacture {when completed, not when started], in this case finished in Jan 2015
below the barcode, you'll find an MDH [month, day, hour], in this case Jan 12 1400hrs

Edit:
this one began life with an AA, replaced at 17k, if I remember correctly with an AE or AF [don't feel like digging up the paperwork], and that one was replaced at 40-somethingK with an AM. extended warranty turned out to be a wise decision
Thank you. WOW, learned something today.
example:
View attachment 40805

Edit:
Thank you. WOW, learned something today.