Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

AAD rear upper arms install

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Today I installed the 4 upper arms. I did put the number 4 tabs in to start off with (2 are what they come with) being many have used 4-7. I already have the trailing arms installed and being the factory toe arms are adjustable I don't think I will add those. Do one side at a time. Only things I unhooked were the brake cable on the body, the lower shock bolt and the sway bar links. I did the sway bar so I could rotate it for more room if I needed to so the links for the sway bar you do need to do both sides from the start. I placed a jack under the cradle by the exhaust. Take out both cradle bolts on the side you are working on then lower the jack. I do have cradle lockouts installed so the ones on the other side may have not let it drop as far. The front upper bolt was close to coming out but I did have to use a pry bar to lower the front maybe an inch to get the bolt out. Could also be the Chargers and Challengers are different in that area. Once the arms are swapped out jack it up and install the cradle bolts. Move to the other side and do the same thing. Also by doing a side at a time you can look to other side if you are not sure which way the bolts go. I had to jack up each arm to get the shock bolt and sway bar bolts back in

I was working pretty slow and it took around 3 hours. If you were to install the trailing arms and toe arms add another hour to 90 minutes. You could also drop some time if you had someone helping but I wanted to see how hard it would be doing it myself

This is the video I followed. (he did put the bolt on backwards on the center bar on the outside. The nut should be on the back not the front like the front arm)

Speedy also has a video that may help

20220528_122710.jpg 20220528_123218.jpg 20220528_124026.jpg 20220528_114546.jpg

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #2
If you were to change rear springs, this may be the easiest way to do it. Brake cable bolt, shock bolt and cradle bolts on one side you should be able to get the spring out

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
I started with the 4 tabs and this is what I got. One thing I did think about and did prove out was weight in the car. I was in the ballpark at a 1/2 tank based on where I would normally run the car. I went to the gas station and added 7 gallons when I was done. I noticed my steering wheel was off so I went back so they could fix it. I didn't get a print out then but my left front went from -2.6 to -1.7 so @Speedy! if you went back in again your right which was at -2.4 may have changed. Car has around 3/4 of a tank and the camber had moved to -.3. So I do think it is important to go in with how much gas will be in the tank when you go to the track. @fubar569 said each tab is around .20? Being my next tab is a 6 it looks like I need a 5. I will go back in after I change the tab and have it checked. It is free to check it

20220603_092056.jpg

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I like your rear placements.

Did you buy the FRONT AAD adjustable arms? If so, I would want those two camber readings closer on each side. IMO that don’t matter as much as toe for tire wear. Either they both need to be -2.x or closer or at about -1.0 degree which is about in the center of the MOPAR recommendations. I keep mine full negative camber even in the street. Your toe setting up front is nearly perfect. That is right where my toe is, and my tire edge wear is minimal compared with the balance of the surface. Even with track duty!!

Here, this is how retarded max camber in the front looks compared with a rear that is basically straight up like you drag racers like. I have found for traction, wear and handling, especially with the steam rollers, that works best for both street and track for me too. Track for me is road course duty.

B0EB8E02-E38E-4A92-967B-03B5361DDB0E.png

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I started with the 4 tabs and this is what I got. One thing I did think about and did prove out was weight in the car. I was in the ballpark at a 1/2 tank based on where I would normally run the car. I went to the gas station and added 7 gallons when I was done. I noticed my steering wheel was off so I went back so they could fix it. I didn't get a print out then but my left front went from -2.6 to -1.7 so @Speedy! if you went back in again your right which was at -2.4 may have changed. Car has around 3/4 of a tank and the camber had moved to -.3. So I do think it is important to go in with how much gas will be in the tank when you go to the track. @fubar569 said each tab is around .20? Being my next tab is a 6 it looks like I need a 5. I will go back in after I change the tab and have it checked. It is free to check it

View attachment 72595
Just checked to be sure and the email actually states that each tab increment is roughly .24 degrees more positive...so if you have 4's in the right rear arms right now you could probably get away with the 6's and be 0.0/0.0 L to R or VERY close to it.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
Just checked to be sure and the email actually states that each tab increment is roughly .24 degrees more positive...so if you have 4's in the right rear arms right now you could probably get away with the 6's and be 0.0/0.0 L to R or VERY close to it.
I'm .0 and -.05 so I thought 5s would put me at .20 .15 ? Jon only had 2 5s. The instructions say you can make most adjustments with the long arm so was thinking on putting the 5s in there and leaving the 4s in the front arm

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
I brought Jons new rear wheel setup home. 315 on forgestars so I can get them to fit this weekend. My 315's will not be mounted up until Monday

20220603_221114.jpg

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I'm .0 and -.05 so I thought 5s would put me at .20 .15 ? Jon only had 2 5s. The instructions say you can make most adjustments with the long arm so was thinking on putting the 5s in there and leaving the 4s in the front arm
Current measurements for rear camber look like 0.0 on the left and -0.5 on the right?

If that is accurate you could step up to 6's on the right only and be pretty much zeroed out at race weight. That would be a good place to be.

If you are 0.0 and 0.05 I would leave that alone and send it.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
REMEMBER, this is especially important— check your toe setting after ANY tab change on any of the four lateral “upper” arms. It will change and that is the item that will make that Hellcat get goofy at left and right lurching under power.
Current measurements for rear camber look like 0.0 on the left and -0.5 on the right?

If that is accurate you could step up to 6's on the right only and be pretty much zeroed out at race weight. That would be a good place to be.

He may have an identical setup to mine. 6mm right, 4mm left—-returns as near straight up camber as I can get.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
He may have an identical setup to mine. 6mm right, 4mm left—-returns as near straight up camber as I can get.
Same as I have as well, with +.5 on that bottom toe arm link.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11

I was thinking .05 in my head not .5

Car was close to race weight but I was not sitting in it so that may even it up

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
May just need to run it like this and see what happens. The tires should help a lot also.

I can also go back in with me in the car and recheck it with gas close

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Even a half degree. Run it!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I went for +.25 deg camber on mine...slightly positive to account for me in the car plus squat at launch. Final was +.3 and +.1.

Tech told me even setting an ink pen on the tire would chang it when you get to 1/10 of a degree 🤷‍♂️

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
I sent AAD and email and Parker responded. He said to go +1 more on the driver side and +3 on the passenger side which would be +5 and +7. I'm going to order them and in the mean time throw the +6 in the passenger side so I will be +4 and +6

Have a TNT Friday if rain does not ruin our day again

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
Parker also said each tab will move it .25 degrees

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
.25 for camber....can't remember if toe links are the same?

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #18
.25 for camber....can't remember if toe links are the same?
Yep camber. I don't have the toe links so we didn't talk about that

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
The toe is another story and no the tabs don’t move the toe 25 or even 0.25 degrees. But it is tricky! I had to order supplemental toe tabs to get it dialed in to near zero on mine. Reading in my notes it took 2.5mm tabs to finally get everything right for toe. Reviewing it reminded me every time you change one of those top arm camber tabs it will screw the pooch and throw off the toe.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #20
The toe is another story and no the tabs don’t move the toe 25 or even 0.25 degrees. But it is tricky! I had to order supplemental toe tabs to get it dialed in to near zero on mine. Reading in my notes it took 2.5mm tabs to finally get everything right for toe. Reviewing it reminded me every time you change one of those top arm camber tabs it will screw the pooch and throw off the toe.
After I get the 5s and 7s in I was planning on checking it so we will see how much the toe moved