Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Accidentally Over-filled my car with oil. Have a question

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
I don’t know how but I overfilled my engine with oil during the first oil change. So, I used a buddy’s EWK Oil Extractor. It has both the pneumatic and hand pump. So, I used the hand pump. I used the very thin long tube it comes with specifically for the dipstick tube and Unscrewed the oil cap because I seen a couple guys on YouTube do it that way. But left the cap on. Didn’t take it off. Anyways I was able to hand pump the over filled oil. Like 1/3 quart or so.
After my Hellcat was sitting for a few days. Blue smoke came out of the exhaust on start up.

Just wondering if I messed up anything? Pumping the oil extractor created a vacuum through the dipstick tube.

The last time I noticed blue smoke come out of the exhaust was like at 500 miles A couple months ago. And it went away until I used the oil extractor At 1200 miles.
But, It runs and sounds great. Thank God.
‘Obviously next time I’ll be more careful.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
1/3 of a quart overfill should not have caused any problem at all and I would not associate the smoke with the 1/3 quart.

It's not bad that you took it out as well.

OP
22MoparMuscle

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
1/3 of a quart overfill should not have caused any problem at all and I would not associate the smoke with the 1/3 quart.

It's not bad that you took it out as well.
You don’t think the vacuum from the oil extractor messed up anything?
Weird coincidence though. Since it smoked the first time at 500 miles during a cold start. Which is normal from research. I’ve been keeping an eye on it.
‘I’ll put an oil catch can on it too probably next spring because I’m gonna store it away pretty soon.

Last edited:

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I’ve ran mine with 8qts on purpose for track duty, as an oil pressure experiment, pounded on it hard, car didn’t know any different and no blue smoke ever. If you are getting blue smoke when running most likely it’s from valve stem seals not the rings, especially if it’s mostly on startup that your seeing it. But if it’s gone or just comes and goes don’t worry about it, as long as your sure it oil smoke not coolant smoke. Any of your coolants low, like the intercooler loop especially?

OP
22MoparMuscle

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
I’ve ran mine with 8qts on purpose for track duty, as an oil pressure experiment, pounded on it hard, car didn’t know any different and no blue smoke ever. If you are getting blue smoke when running most likely it’s from valve stem seals not the rings, especially if it’s mostly on startup that your seeing it. But if it’s gone or just comes and goes don’t worry about it, as long as your sure it oil smoke not coolant smoke. Any of your coolants low, like the intercooler loop especially?
Thanks for the response. How many miles was on your car when you ran that experiment?

My coolants are not low, they’re fine.
So you don’t think I damaged anything with the oil extractor That would cause blue smoke from burning oil?

And Like I said my car only has 1200 miles on it. The engine isn’t 100% broken in yet either IMO.
Idk. Maybe some oil got into the PCV too

Last edited:

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
There is no way you pulled any real vacuum on your crankcase. You only pulled just enough vacuum to push the oil up the tube. Some race cars run a vacuum pump on the crankcase to help seal the rings. Unless you were pulling near space vacuum, you did not cause any issues with that. My car smokes a bit out of the exhaust at start as well, has since new. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it does not. It used to bother me, but now I have just realized its the nature of the beast. Other guys have seen the same.

OP
22MoparMuscle

22MoparMuscle

Member ID
Reactions
City
Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
There is no way you pulled any real vacuum on your crankcase. You only pulled just enough vacuum to push the oil up the tube. Some race cars run a vacuum pump on the crankcase to help seal the rings. Unless you were pulling near space vacuum, you did not cause any issues with that. My car smokes a bit out of the exhaust at start as well, has since new. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it does not. It used to bother me, but now I have just realized its the nature of the beast. Other guys have seen the same.
Cool. Thanks man.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Especially on a cold restart. Like backing the car out of the garage, shutting it off and then restarting within several minutes.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
You should be fine IMO. My engine builder practices overfilling that much. He swears by it and I’ve not had any adverse affects after around 20K miles on his build.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
It's fine.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Just don't tell Bmason, he will have stroke

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thanks for the response. How many miles was on your car when you ran that experiment?

My coolants are not low, they’re fine.
So you don’t think I damaged anything with the oil extractor That would cause blue smoke from burning oil?

And Like I said my car only has 1200 miles on it. The engine isn’t 100% broken in yet either IMO.
Idk. Maybe some oil got into the PCV too
I don't see how rhe extractor could damage anything. Are you thinking the you torqued on the hand pump so hard that the excessive vac could damage a sensor or something? I'd say normal operating conditions in the crank case would be far beyond what you could produce w the hand pump. Or you think the extractor hose hit and damaged something? I used extractors on MB V8s for years, if the hose is just plastic and you weren't jamming it into the thing like you were stabbing a burglar, I don't see how anything could be damaged.

Last edited:

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Cannot believe you are worried about 1/3 quart of oil @22MoparMuscle? I’m trying to understand. What do you think a little extra oil will do in your engine? How do you know it was an extra 1/3 quart? Did you actually open an 8th bottle and put an extra 1/3 quart in it? That is really nothing to worry about. I guarantee that will not raise the oil level a noticeable amount in your pan enough to cause cavitation.