Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Advice on my setup

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Mine is a daily driver and a balance between grip and comfort is needed. Would prefer same size all around. Was considering PS4s all around on OEM wheels. Now, considering 10.5 replicas all around from PK or Triumph and running same size tires all around maybe 305s? What are your thoughts? Might consider tracking someday, but day to day comfort is my goal as it as my daily.

I apologize for another tire thread...but I'm stuck on what are pros and cons of both routes. Thanks everyone.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
If you are running oem wheels, I'd suggest 275s. Some will argue otherwise, that a 305 "fits" oem which it does. However, it also buldges the tire badly which removes road contact surface and can create a safety issue. I'm sure some just do it for the larger tire look.

If you decide on running 10.5s yes a 305 or 315 (depending on tire will fit fine in the rear). I'm not sure how wide you can go in the front without having rubbing issues when you turn the wheel. Most people stagger the tires with the rears being wider.

If it's a daily I'd run either PS4s or Continental extreme sports. If you decide to race, I'd get a tire best suited for whatever racing (road racing or 1/4 mile) that you are doing. No one tire is going to do everything well.

If it was me, and it was my daily, I'd save a bit of money, just buy 10.5s for the rear to fit 305s/315s on, and keep stock size wheel/tire on front. Then depending on how serious you are about racing buy a set of 17' wheels with 305/45R17s MT ET Rs for track only and let her rip! That way you won't wear your rear daily tires at the track too.

Good luck!

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
If you are running oem wheels, I'd suggest 275s. Some will argue otherwise, that a 305 "fits" oem which it does. However, it also buldges the tire badly which removes road contact surface and can create a safety issue. I'm sure some just do it for the larger tire look.

If you decide on running 10.5s yes a 305 or 315 (depending on tire will fit fine in the rear). I'm not sure how wide you can go in the front without having rubbing issues when you turn the wheel. Most people stagger the tires with the rears being wider.

If it's a daily I'd run either PS4s or Continental extreme sports. If you decide to race, I'd get a tire best suited for whatever racing (road racing or 1/4 mile) that you are doing. No one tire is going to do everything well.

If it was me, and it was my daily, I'd save a bit of money, just buy 10.5s for the rear to fit 305s/315s on, and keep stock size wheel/tire on front. Then depending on how serious you are about racing buy a set of 17' wheels with 305/45R17s MT ET Rs for track only and let her rip! That way you won't wear your rear daily tires at the track too.

Good luck!
Thank you. I appreciate it.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
To each their own, but looks wise, i do like the extra beef of wider out back, and then thats where you need the extra meat anyway. I chose to keep stock 9.5s up front, PKAD HR5 10.5s in back. Continental ECS 275 front, 305 rear. Balance and grip feels great. Got a spot downpour with puddles coming home from work today, not a single wiggle driving sanely.

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
To each their own, but looks wise, i do like the extra beef of wider out back, and then thats where you need the extra meat anyway. I chose to keep stock 9.5s up front, PKAD HR5 10.5s in back. Continental ECS 275 front, 305 rear. Balance and grip feels great. Got a spot downpour with puddles coming home from work today, not a single wiggle driving sanely.
Thanks...I like the look as well on rear. I guess my only concern is not being able to rotate tires. Perhaps tire life isn't jeopardized too much in not being rotated? How long are yours lasting?

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
The HCs need more rear rubber, not so sure bout fronts. Many experienced people here have chosen the asymmetric setup with good results, so I went that. No rotation, oh well...performance over economy! As far as wear, I'm still early. Inside 2000 miles so far, but minimal wear so far. These tires have markings to denote remaining tread suitable for wet or dry. Grooves still look 20190903_231448.jpg sharp edged like new.

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Have PS4's all around. The most disappointing tire I have had.
NITTO 555's have (to me) given me the best grip.
My PS4's in the back are 335/30's (on 20 x 11.5 Wheels) and they spin just as bad as the stock 9.5 Pirellis.
Just my .02

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
My PS4's in the back are 335/30's (on 20 x 11.5 Wheels) and they spin just as bad as the stock 9.5 Pirellis.
Just my .02
Agreed. If it was me (granted I don't daily my Redeye) I'd choose the Nitto 555R as well. Imo it is the best balance between comfort and grip that you can get. You can also track them reasonably well, but they need a good deal of heat to do so. The average person is getting 6,000-10,000 miles on them (IIRC) depending on how often you track. The Nitto 555R is about as much in the middle between grip/comfort than you can get. It's not awesome at one specific thing, but it's good at everything. If the OP needs more mileage, a true street tire is a must PS4/Conti. OP, you will not get big diff improvements until you jump into a drag radial tire. The Nitto 555R is a street/strip drag radial that is a good entry tire, especially if you don't drag race much at all.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I disagree with my two good buddies above. Sorry. They probably even took my advice and got the PS4S's, which makes me feel bad. @Hunter what are those streets made of down there, that just don't sound right.

BUT, on both the road course, in a regular body and now with larger PS4S on my WB, I cannot be more happy. My RE is running absolutely correct and hooks its rear 345/30's each and every time I stomp on it. My previous regular body hooked its 295/35's each and every time I stomped on it also. My RE can regularly blow off 3.5-3.6 second 0-60's on the street. They also work well on the road course. Matter of fact, I'll damn near give the shit Toyo's r888r's away they are so noisey and did nothing to hold my car on the hard pavement, that I have used once on my Redeye on course. My car never has had four wheels off the pavement until I tried them, IMO they suck worse than a 555r drag radial for going forward! I will be returning to using some type of a Michlien tire for my road course enjoyment in the future. I will use the PS4S tires or other Michlien's on the street until they make better.

IMO get the 10.5" rears, get 275/35's front on 9.5" and get the new size 305/35's for the rear. Enjoy!

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Just my .02
That's good to know as I have been seriously considering PS4's. Are you talking about 555 G2 or 555R

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I enjoy my Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s... I wanted a cheap tire to do burnouts on, and the overall performance of the tire is pretty great.
I'm running 275s all around on my stock HC.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
That's good to know as I have been seriously considering PS4's. Are you talking about 555 G2 or 555R
I believe he is talking about the 555R. Great tire. Run the 555R on the rear and G2 on the front. IF you and only IF you don't mind getting 10k or less out of your tires. They are a drag radial. If you daily drive a ton of miles yearly, then I'd stick to the PS4 or Conti Extreme Sport. Most I've talked to love either, with Conti's being the cheaper option. Pretty much anything is better than the stock tires! You are trying to control 707hp, lots of power on tap. Which is why the Nitto 555R would be my choice for low mileage users, and the PS4 for higher mileage DDs.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I believe he is talking about the 555R. Great tire. Run the 555R on the rear and G2 on the front. IF you and only IF you don't mind getting 10k or less out of your tires. They are a drag radial. If you daily drive a ton of miles yearly, then I'd stick to the PS4 or Conti Extreme Sport. Most I've talked to love either, with Conti's being the cheaper option. Pretty much anything is better than the stock tires! You are trying to control 707hp, lots of power on tap. Which is why the Nitto 555R would be my choice for low mileage users, and the PS4 for higher mileage DDs.
Not a DD but worried about the 555r in the rain. It rains a lot in the summer down here

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
555R.
But get with @DGatzby and see exactly what he has.
My michelins scare the crud out of me every time I hit it.

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Not a DD but worried about the 555r in the rain. It rains a lot in the summer down here
Rains a lot year round here. With the 555R, you definitely have to be cautious while driving, but can be done (never tried on interstate with them though)

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Make sure and understand the difference between the PS4 and PS4S tire. I’m pretty sure that they ARE different compounds. I think a lot of people confuse the two, understandably.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Sylmar
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Challenger
The 4S has more A/S3+ all season compound in it then the PS4 tires.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
@DGatzby , if you still want to give away those R888R tires I'm your guy. ;)

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
I also used to run the 555R in a 305/35 on a 11in rear wheel. I loved the tires. I even autoxed on them. They were quiet and rode well and stuck pretty darn good.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Schaumburg
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I was going to ask a question about tire set up as well so I will jump in here. I have the stock tires/wheels on the 2016 I just bought. For now I was just considering buying a larger Pzero set of rear tires, maybe 295/40 and leave the stock size tires on front. Mine is mostly a daily driver and stored in the winters. No immediate plans to race or anything so not concerned with Max grip. I like the tire brands to match, otherwise I'd go with the Extreme Conti's in a 295. Anyone else running 295 on the rears? Pics? Thanks