Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Air inlet modification

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Could I ask what you are referring to as DIPS?
I have removed my PS headlight cap to add extra air circulation into the engine bay. I do not drive in the rain...on purpose...so I figure any extra air flow can hurt. I have ordered Merrick grill inserts for both side to Help keep anything out that could cause damage.
https://merrickmotorsports.com/prod...dard-style-rear-mount-headlight-intake-grille
Basically, a FOD screen.

OP
Tape

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
Thread Starter #22
I am very impressed with my Hellcat's daily drive-ability and how easy/relatively inexpensive it is to work on.
you haven't changed the spark plugs yet have you?

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
you haven't changed the spark plugs yet have you?
As long as you don't have to remove the motor to do it, I'm good.

When the hood design changed in 2019 to the dual snorkel style, was anything else changed to account for the deletion of the heat extracting vents in the 2015-2018 style hood? Or did SRT do something else to address engine bay temps? Or did they just decided it didn't really matter?

OP
Tape

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
Thread Starter #24
As long as you don't have to remove the motor to do it, I'm good.
I'm told you damn near have to, to get the two rear plugs, (both sides) I'm really not looking forward to that part.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Taking the head light insert is next. But I retired the plate that covers the CAI K & N plate that covers it up. the one attached to the hood. And yes, you have to keep it handi for rain. Find an over pass and 2 screws off you go. I did make the mistake of forgetting and it got soaked. Sucked it up like a sponge. But what a difference. Now the head light insert can't get any dirter than the rad e ate her. Power blast.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Hard to purchase a DIP when they are closed,,, scaret.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Hickstah wants to know any otha non scart suppliers open. Ready to spen d sum money on both cats.

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I'm told you damn near have to, to get the two rear plugs, (both sides) I'm really not looking forward to that part.
Totally agree with you there. I just installed a BT catch can and was looking at the coil locations and thinking the plugs will be a bugger to change out.

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Be careful as some of those inlet incerts are a little bit smaller in diameter than the factory setup.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Now, if you guys just give me your thoughts on Gray Zone Warfare and Hybrid Competition, especially regarding Russia/China/Iran/Lebanon, I can get this damn essay done.

And let the hijack begin. @Tape, sorry not sorry.
I don't have time to go into that... but those are great topics. There are some great white papers out there.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I believe this has been addressed, someone correct me if I am wrong. I think SRT's official stance is, from a performance standpoint, you're better off without the belly pan.
Kindly elaborate. I know on the Charger at least it was part of the overall aero design to keep the car properly planted at 200+. 2017 they raised the rear wing one centimeter after further testing. They actually put some engineering into it. like the ancient 928 - the original rear wing was adjustable (how cool is that on a production car) but they fixed next years at the factory because so few owners were actually adjusting them. Testing makes a difference; unlike the wings on the old Trans Ams and such

Last edited:

SDREDEYE

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Octane Red HC WB Redeye
Pic for reference. I don’t have to drive the car in the rain because I have other options. To that end, maybe it provides a bit of air cooling but as others have said, why design it this way? Why not make both nostrils functional on the 19/20 hoods? I don’t think the rear of the hood is tall enough to create a cooling vacuum that has a real impact but one thing is for sure is my Redeye is damn hot under the hood after an easy drive let alone a spirited one.
Does it just twist off or does it need to be “modified”? C2B6D7B8-DE07-481C-9D89-3A4B2149F91C.jpeg

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
AeroF16, if you want a good recent discussion from a think tank on the topics you mentioned, hit up the CSIS for the most recent by Cordesman. This is like 2.5 weeks old. While I do not necessarily agree with all the conclusions, the raw data (like economic comparisons by PPP instead of legal exchange rate and R&D and STEM graduate levels). Check it if you like.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
LOL. If not, we probably need to start one.

CPRHDSRT

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fork
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HC Challenger
Thanks for the reminder to pop-out the PS blocker cap on my 2016. Found another BB easter egg was I was in there. 25 second mod and a flash back to good times with BB lol.