Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Another Day, Another Comparison Video

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody

This actually felt like the most balanced and unbiased review yet - other than being a sponsored video for a car give away. In fact, Pobst actually highlighted the significance of the pedestrian street tires on the Redeye versus the race spec tires on the GT500 and ZL1 1LE, so for the RE to come in 5-ish seconds behind the other two cars on street tires speaks loads to its potential. Much of that understeer and snap oversteer experienced in the RE would be erased by wider, stickier, rubber.

Also, those lap times were put down by a professional race car driver - the talent disparity in the average owners of those cars lands on a very broad spectrum. So don't get hung up on the numbers if you don't have any relevant experience. Go to a driving school, learn your car, run it at the limit and then complain Dodge let you down. In other words: Don't be a Demon owner.

Last edited:

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I look at it like this- The GT500 and ZL1 are purpose built road course cars. The Challenger is a muscle car GT car. FCA slapped brakes and wider wheels on Hellcats. Hellcats are not designed to be road course cars they never were. FCA didn't try to make this car a road course beast. So not even trying to be a road course car Hellcats are doing pretty good on crappy tires against two cars that are all about the road course.

Last edited:

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Muscle cars are not track cars! Unless it’s a drag strip.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
In the real world, we have seen Challengers with suspension mods, and good street tires keep up and/or go around 1LE's and C7's of various types. I'll second @motorhead, a lot depends on the drivers experience. Big factor FYI. Also the track will make a big difference. None of us are going to do real well on a tight short course. However, again I will use the BIR big configuration or a Daytona or Indy road courses for example. Give us some breathing room with significant straights and big sweepers and we can have big fun among about anything. Buried right now, I'll watch this new one later and probably post back. Thanks for sharing!

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Meh

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Thread Starter #6

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
I think that time is fair when comparing a purpose built drag car to track warriors. It's all a drivers game. I've seen a YouTube vid of a guy in a charger hellcat passing porsches on the track.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
You know guys us road racers support all the drag racing etc and don’t ever talk down your threads. Why do you guys fault us for showing we have a car that will also turn left and right? I just don’t get it!