Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Anyone get the factory Mopar Hood pin kit?

BoostedCat

Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Can you post some photos?
hood-pin-kit.jpg

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Yeah, turned out pretty cool don't cha think? LOL
Bad Pins.jpg

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Yeah, turned out pretty cool don't cha think? LOL
View attachment 2660
It's everything I dreamed it would be !!
---- OR -------
This guy has been cornering & stopping so hard his hood pins shifted to the fenders and the fender badging slid forward - now thats racing !!
---- OR ------
A likely outcome of me trying to install hood pins on my own :rolleyes:

El Gato

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarkston
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Super Stock
20190831_194623.jpg 20190918_064151.jpg

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I actually had these on my car with my T/A hood. I think they look real good but I have to say in functionality I don't think they would do anything or near anything if the hood let go at speed. They are on big floppy plates that are attached to a 10mm bolt on one end (that's the head, the shank is less than 1/4")and a plastic pin on front end. If the hood popped at anything over a 100MPH it would act like a parachute and rip the plastic pin and 10mm bolt off IMO. You can literally move the pin bolted to the plate with your hands. I replaced my hood with another T/A hood and never re-installed them. They do have that old muscle car look though.
P.S now I'm stuck with holes in my coffee cup trim panels. LOL

Last edited:

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Over time isn’t the wire going from the car to the pin going to rub paint off of the front of the car? Maybe I’m wrong, but that just looks like potential for damage to the paint.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
More in my build thread.

ea1727af5aff8e625aa777c9c0546f13.0.jpg

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Over time isn’t the wire going from the car to the pin going to rub paint off of the front of the car? Maybe I’m wrong, but that just looks like potential for damage to the paint.
It's got a protective plastic case on it like electrical wiring.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
So what?

Over time your dick is going to stop working - does that mean you should worry about the amount of wear and tear on it from use?

It is just a car - enjoy it. Paint as needed.

Last edited:

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Don’t by them direct from Mopar that price is a ripoff. I bought my black mopar hood pins for 239.00.
Did you guys install the pins your self or did you have a shop do it?
I have a carbon fiber hood so I’m a bit scared to do it my self.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Don’t by them direct from Mopar that price is a ripoff. I bought my black mopar hood pins for 239.00.
Mine were factory installed.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I did it myself. There's a video on YouTube by Steve White motors on how to do it. It's a little simplistic and goofy but it gets to the meat of how to do it. My hood cost me $1750 with shipping + $500 for fresh air kit+ I had it painted satin black. Kinda un-nerving cutting a hole in something that cost you over 2.5G's. Lol. I'm sure the carbon fiber is more. My hood is exactly like a standard hood underneath (It's Mopar factory stamping) so the video applied to my app perfectly. Don't know if the carbon fiber hood is the same.
Tips.
1)Take your time. Let the drill and cutter do work.
2)Use a BRAND NEW hole cutter.
3)Use a SHARP small bit to pre-drill. You DON'T want it to walk.
4)Tape area real well before cut and make sure marks are dead on before drilling.

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
So what?

Over time your dick is going to stop working - does that mean you should worry about the amount of wear and tear on it from use?

It is just a car - enjoy it. Paint as needed.
Well ahhh, thanks for being blunt? It was a simple question. No need to get so fired up about it.

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
I did it myself. There's a video on YouTube by Steve White motors on how to do it. It's a little simplistic and goofy but it gets to the meat of how to do it. My hood cost me $1750 with shipping + $500 for fresh air kit+ I had it painted satin black. Kinda un-nerving cutting a hole in something that cost you over 2.5G's. Lol. I'm sure the carbon fiber is more. My hood is exactly like a standard hood underneath (It's Mopar factory stamping) so the video applied to my app perfectly. Don't know if the carbon fiber hood is the same.
Tips.
1)Take your time. Let the drill and cutter do work.
2)Use a BRAND NEW hole cutter.
3)Use a SHARP small bit to pre-drill. You DON'T want it to walk.
4)Tape area real well before cut and make sure marks are dead on before drilling.
What is a brand new hole cutter?
Lol I don’t know what that is.
Thanks

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
It’s up for gra
Haven't lost your virginity yet eh?
its up for grabs if you want in? Your first in line! We’re do you wanna meet? Motel 6 is best for me.....

Inrfire

Member ID
Reactions
City
Omaha
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I actually had these on my car with my T/A hood. I think they look real good but I have to say in functionality I don't think they would do anything or near anything if the hood let go at speed. They are on big floppy plates that are attached to a 10mm bolt on one end (that's the head, the shank is less than 1/4")and a plastic pin on front end. If the hood popped at anything over a 100MPH it would act like a parachute and rip the plastic pin and 10mm bolt off IMO. You can literally move the pin bolted to the plate with your hands. I replaced my hood with another T/A hood and never re-installed them. They do have that old muscle car look though.
P.S now I'm stuck with holes in my coffee cup trim panels. LOL
I replied to a post on here where someone was saying they were not functional. I even got into the shear strength of one 10mm bolt and supplied that data! lol We had a big back and fourth. So much so the moderator finally jumped in! The guy didn't like what I found after he argued so hard I recon :)

I wanted to know for myself more than anything and to share the information. So I called Dodge, talked to mechanics, and ended up finally calling out to Steve White motors, because of a video I saw of them doing an install! I even had a structural engineer that lives in my neighborhood look at my car, just recently when he came over to see it.

Back to Steve White Motors! So when I got a hold of them, I talked to one of their guys that they said raced and would know the answer I was looking for! I asked him the hood pin questions. We talked for probably 20 mins and he said this guy they did a lot of work for on his car, that races a lot and thats from PA called him and thanked him.

He said this guy told him his hood let go on a run that was well over 100 mph! I am thinking 160 ish if I remember right. He said the hood buckled in the center but it never came past the pins in the front. This is all I know, and I wont argue with anyone again about hood pins. :)

Last edited: