Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Anyone Tow their HC with a 1/2t?

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #61
No, if you get the correct length there's no need for Race Ramps. I have a set for the toy hauler but have yet to use them. They don't like gravel or uneven surfaces.

Look at what Best Aluminum Ramps has available. Their prices are good, and they made a custom set for a trailer of mine at a very good price. Those had to fit in the trailer's stock compartments.I haven't even checked if the ones I generally use with the 18-foot trailer fits in its compartments. It's quicker to strap them down to the front of the deck. Or you could put them in the bed.

Anyway, you're shooting for 10 degrees or less angle on the ramps, and how long they need to be for that depends on trailer height and whether it's a dovetail or not. Oh, and do get the knife edge version of the ramps.
Thanks! Yeah, 10deg was my measurement. I can fabricate steel in my barn, I figured I could make long ramps if necessary. And for storage, maybe in the middle of the trailer under the car, I can make them as long as the trailer if necessary. I even have an idea for folding rams with a center support... Or long ramps with a folding center support. I do that kind of stuff for fun! Having Solidworks do the FEA helps me make something no heavier than necessary. :)

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #62
You need a trailer for low cars otherwise you'll be jacking it up to get on and off.
Thanks David. Is there a way to know if a trailer is designed for low cars short of putting my car on?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Making things like that is fun...but lifting steel ramps is not. At least not with my back.

The ramps shouldn't need to be any longer than the trailer deck is wide, so storing them under the car seems like extra work to me.

With a normal (non-deckover) trailer the break-over angle shouldn't be an issue, the approach angle is handled by the ramps, and that leaves the fender height.

If memory serves me, my fenders are nine inches tall, and the Challenger has 10 inches to the bottom of the door. When I went to pick mine up I was prepared to remove one fender, but that wasn't needed. Actually, I have yet to have to remove a fender, even with quite low cars on that trailer. Porshes, primarily.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thanks David. Is there a way to know if a trailer is designed for low cars short of putting my car on?
Most will say that they are. Mine had a removable fender but my door cleared it.

It's getting it on and off without rubbing and tearing up the splitter was the main problem for me.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
View attachment 121787
No, that spot is about perfect, it tows very nice. I have towed with a Grand Cherokee remember. I believe there are either Mopar or some after market shocks or springs that make that Durango work.
There are any number of sources for aftermarket Air Springs available. I have them on my Silverado from Rough Country. I have the onboard compressor to keep them aired up correctly.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
View attachment 121787

There are any number of sources for aftermarket Air Springs available. I have them on my Silverado from Rough Country. I have the onboard compressor to keep them aired up correctly.
Good, now I know who to call. Sucks that the set that came with the +$90k vehicle are weak and cheap. That little Grand Cherokee with the air suspension did a better job of at least keeping it level!

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Good, now I know who to call. Sucks that the set that came with the +$90k vehicle are weak and cheap. That little Grand Cherokee with the air suspension did a better job of at least keeping it level!
The 4 corner air suspension is the best for towing. I will not get another truck that I use to tow without it. Especially since I refuse to punish myself daily with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The 4 corner air suspension is the best for towing. I will not get another truck that I use to tow without it. Especially since I refuse to punish myself daily with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
We didn't mind daily driving the Ram 2500 Cummins. The truck itself was starting to have numerous problems at 20K+ miles. Nowhere near as well built as the 1500 Ram.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Nowhere near as well built as the 1500 Ram.
That's interesting. Every one of the ones built in Saltillo (2500s and 3500s) we have or have had have been flawless.

The three 1500s are a different story, with the '14 being the worst (missing interior parts, very misaligned door, etc.). all concentrated around the right rear of the cab.

Panel fit on the '21s is nothing to write home about, but not horrible either. Mechanically they've all been good.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
That's interesting. Every one of the ones built in Saltillo (2500s and 3500s) we have or have had have been flawless.

The three 1500s are a different story, with the '14 being the worst (missing interior parts, very misaligned door, etc.). all concentrated around the right rear of the cab.

Panel fit on the '21s is nothing to write home about, but not horrible either. Mechanically they've all been good.
2500 was a 21. Transmission problems and a bunch of recalls because it might burn down.

Couldn't park inside or next to other vehicles or structures since it could catch them on fire. No estimate on when it could be repaired.

Lost confidence in it. Didn't want to be left somewhere hundreds or thousands of miles from home.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thinking about why the Durango is not offered with it, I am thinking of the darn adjustable SRT shocks! I will get a couple of air bags in the rear springs for starters.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
2500 was a 21. Transmission problems and a bunch of recalls because it might burn down.
Ah, those are easy fixes.

A simple locking dipstick from a parts store would've taken care of the transmission potentially puking, and the grid heater relay could simply be disconnected.

I have my grid heater disconnected and the 6.7 still starts just fine. At least down to -10.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thinking about why the Durango is not offered with it, I am thinking of the darn adjustable SRT shocks! I will get a couple of air bags in the rear springs for starters.
Why not a WD hitch instead, which would help much more than any air spring ever could.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

A simple locking dipstick from a parts store would've taken care of the transmission potentially puking, and the grid heater relay could simply be disconnected.

I have my grid heater disconnected and the 6.7 still starts just fine. At least down to -10.
Fipst

Dipstick was fixed. That was recall #2. #1 was supposedly that electrical relay. #3 no idea and no fix insight.

Truck spent 10 days at the dealer for the transmission. Still shifted poorly. It was a patch job until it completely failed. Half ass warranty coverage.

Fuck Stellantis.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Truck spent 10 days at the dealer for the transmission. Still shifted poorly. It was a patch job until it completely failed. Half ass warranty coverage.
Yeah, the 68RFE isn't the best transmission, but they can be made to work and live. Although maybe not by a dealer.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Why not a WD hitch instead, which would help much more than any air spring ever could.
Thanks, Jimmy, but I don’t like all the extra forces happening and things to dick around with. I’ll get it to work, I don’t tow that much.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thanks, Jimmy, but I don’t like all the extra forces happening and things to dick around with. I’ll get it to work, I don’t tow that much.
I dunno, "...all the extra forces..." are no different than when grabbing the handles of a wheelbarrow, really.
And once adjusted, it's two levers to pull to tension or remove the spring bars.

Not a lot of work for much added safety (handling and braking, mainly.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Rough Country not showing anything for Durango rear.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Rough Country not showing anything for Durango rear.
I'm not surprised. It's not exactly their market.

When needing air springs for something I generally peruse what Firestone has to offer. Their web site has hundreds of springs to pick from, so it's really only a matter of finding the ones that have the correct measurements and load carrying capacity.

Since it's a coil to air swap, installation couldn't be much easier. Then I'd get the height sensing valves and a controller of my liking. Plus a compressor and air tank, of course.

Although, I'd be surprised if there isn't a kit out there already. It's just that I prefer to pick the individual components to get exactly what I want.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Took a quick peak and it looks like the air springs and mounts can be had for $330 (-20%, today anyway).

Also, there seems to be more or less complete kits ranging from a bit under $1,000 to almost $3000.