Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Auto Transport and Advice requested

Idoru99

Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Springfield
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Redeye WB
Good afternoon,

Has anyone actually put a Challenger Widebody on a U-Haul Auto Transporter (all 4 tires off the ground)? By specs I can find, it looks like the auto transporter is wide enough (barely) but I'm wondering if anyone has actually done it. I assume I'll need race ramps or something to lower the attack angle to get onto the trailer.

Background:
I ordered a widebody from a dealership away from home and need to start thinking of how to get it home.

My first thought was to rent the U-Haul Auto Transporter and trailer it home. Just not sure if it actually fits - according to U-Haul's website, it does.

I can't find anyone around my area (Northern Virginia, just south of D.C.) that rents auto trailers that others here use to great success - if anyone has ideas, please throw it out and I'll look them up.

Next idea would be to fly into Nashville and uber / bus to Bowling Green, KY and drive back home.

Fourth, I could also rent a one-way car and drive the challenger home.

I think I'd rather avoid a 650 mile trip on day one, but I know other's have done it.

Before the "why didn't go with Koon's - you're so close" comments - I felt more comfortable during my talks with Martin Dodge.

I am truly looking for recommendations and advice - not someone to "validate" what I want to do. If anyone has ideas I haven't thought of, I'm happy to see if would work.

Thanks.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
There must be a way to lease a trailer that will fit your car from a regular trailer place. I see the clowns on Shipping Wars do this frequently for loads that are bigger than the trailer they are using.

Or maybe a toy hauler from an RV rental type place.

This place has 8x24 car hauler for rent
https://www.beckleysrvs.com/rentals/cargo-trailer-8x24

This place has multiple types for rent
http://www.blueridgetrailer.com/trailer-rentals/

I just did a google search for trailer rental northen virginia, hope this helps.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Fourth. I rented a Challenger last year and drove from Michigan to Virginia picked up the Hellcat and drove it home 750 miles. Something I will always remember. Wouldn't have been the same towing it home

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I was just going to say drive it, you will thoroughly enjoy it way more than the worry associated with towing it. Fly down. Hopefully there are cheap flights to Nashville. Get the salesman to pick you up and take you back to sign the documents. Drive it home. That’s what I did. I bought mine in NC and drove it back to N.VA. The only bad thing is lot’s of bugs in the air between here and Nashville. Hope you have cool weather but you will enjoy the ride.

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
I would drive it. It will be a memorable adventure with your new car and allow you to break it in day one. 650 miles is perfect. It will arrive home ready to go.

OP
Idoru99

Idoru99

Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Springfield
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Sorry for my delayed response.

@Stormtrooper1320 Thank you! Not sure why those didn't show up in my search, maybe too narrow b y use of my ZIP vice Northern Virginia.

@vortecd , @SilverBillet , @Av8ing1 - Thanks for your thoughts on driving. I hadn't thought about asking the dealership to pick me up...definitely something to think about!

Appreciate everyone's input. I'll let you know what I decide

Snowman

Member ID
Reactions
City
Cranberry Twp
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I would not put it on an open trailer. The rocks thrown up from the tow vehicle will destroy your new car. Luckily I learned with a much less valuable car.

OP
Idoru99

Idoru99

Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Springfield
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
@Snowman - one of the thing's I'm worried about. However, I did tow my wife's Audi last year from Lexington, KY and haven't found any rock hits on it. Could just be very lucky... :oops:

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
More of a chance of stones and pebble damage from driving it than towing it. I towed this car on an open trailer in the 70’s to races and in the 80’s and 90’s to car shows and never had any damage. I did have an incident with another car I was towing in 2005 where I had to go through some fresh line paint that got thrown down the side of it. I bought an enclosed trailer right after that and now don’t have to worry about stones, line paint or possible hail. 858F9B2D-4179-4955-8AE8-B9C99BB8B5EC.jpeg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I would not put it on an open trailer. The rocks thrown up from the tow vehicle will destroy your new car. Luckily I learned with a much less valuable car.
That's not really an open trailer issue, but using a bumper pull, and/or one without a shield on the front.
I have towed much more expensive cars on open trailers without any issues. DSCN2158.JPG

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Brandon Wilkinson is a known for transporting Hellcats Demons all kinds of cars from the known Speedshops. Has an excellent reputation. I saw on FB he was looking for some Eastcoast work.
Josh @ HHP uses him.
Give him a call.(916)745-9681

Linda :)

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
That's not really an open trailer issue, but using a bumper pull, and/or one without a shield on the front.
I have towed much more expensive cars on open trailers without any issues. View attachment 42947
Oh good......I'm glad to see you have it loaded up. Take your time getting here and enjoy the drive.....I don't really need the car until next Saturday

:p

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
It can be successfully done even in the worst of crap. Not a scratch found.
7796A56C-9FC7-48F5-A30A-0CCF130864B6.jpeg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Oh good......I'm glad to see you have it loaded up. Take your time getting here and enjoy the drive.....I don't really need the car until next Saturday

:p
Oh, that was her "old" Turbo S. The one she traded in on an ordered new one...which is the one that made it here before the ordered Redeye arrived.

Then again, the Redeye was ordered two days later than the 911. But then again, again, they both did come from foreign countries.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
I think its interesting that your car would get all dinged up trailering it over actually driving it down the road😜

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I think its interesting that your car would get all dinged up trailering it over actually driving it down the road😜
Depends on how badly you normally tailgate someone, I suppose.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
I want to say drive it, but my cars don't do road trips without PPF. Nothing like a 300 mile road trip with some new paint dings on the front bumper. If it were me, I'd just go and hire an independent insured shipper and have them bring it to the house in a covered trailer. I use Uship for all of my brokered deals and I've always had positive results.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I want to say drive it, but my cars don't do road trips without PPF.
Mine do. But not until broken in properly.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I would one way and drive back, or have it delivered. I paid 300 or 500 or something and had a dealer approved retired couple pick the car up and deliver to my door step. 400 miles one way something g like that. 24 foot power tilt trailer w 4 foot shield up front. Car arrived flawless and I had the sales guy toss a g meter in the back [maybe I am suspicious...] great experience. I was going to drive it w a army buddy of mine but that did not work out, alas. Anyway, I've recommended these folks to 3 people on here. Not heard any one complain.

Good luck.