Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

B Woody Heat Shield

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I got mine installed and played around with the 2 heat shields I have. One shields goes under the intake to the coolant tank. The other is blocking the coolant tank. My thoughts are getting some ceramic fiber insulation board to block off coolant tank and the area between the tank and filter. I will also use the heat shields

My tube I run to the airbox (stock charger is really small) was long enough to bend in front of the filter

20210619_110442.jpg 20210619_114939.jpg 20210619_120351.jpg 20210619_124355.jpg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
went out and drove the car. Temp gun towards the back on the outside of heatshield was reading 140 degrees. Pointing it into the air box it was showing 85. When the fan kicked on it just heated everything up. It will need to be sealed towards the front and between the intake and lid

If the fan spun the other way it would help meaning the blades would have to go the other way to push the air towards the passenger side. I don't notice as much heat being blown towards the passenger side. In testing I'm surprised the engineers did pick up on that. Having a shield to block the hot air blowing on the intake would be another fix

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Drove to GR last night and popped the hood after 30 minutes of highway and street driving and took some readings.

3rd pic shows 87 and the dot appears to be on the lid. It was showing around 85 inside the box but moved when I took the pic. All the reading I got inside the box were in the 80's

20210619_180129.jpg 20210619_180138.jpg 20210619_180122.jpg 20210619_180117.jpg 20210619_180134 (1).jpg

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Drove to GR last night and popped the hood after 30 minutes of highway and street driving and took some readings.

3rd pic shows 87 and the dot appears to be on the lid. It was showing around 85 inside the box but moved when I took the pic. All the reading I got inside the box were in the 80's

View attachment 47149 View attachment 47150 View attachment 47151 View attachment 47152 View attachment 47154
nice work!

Bob

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thanks.
Waiting to see what you have. I like the heat shields but want something harder behind them

Been searching but where is the IAT sensor for the 15-16 Hellcats? The following years have the sensor in the air tube. Being the early car are mass air they could be getting the readings from there

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
That is sum perty work dun there by Middleville, Mi 2nd by, don't fer get me Bob from Cali. Hell Bob will modify anything.. Just ask him,,, he will modify while you watch him.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
@Diboblo compare my inlet tube to yours where the erg hole is in comparison to mass air meter sensor. I have looked at many pics of these and they are not all the same. I have my mass air sensor almost hitting the power steering pump because of where the egr tube is. When I first try shutting the hood it hit so I had to rotate it more

Never been a fan of having the egr going to the intake from the engine. I would delete it but being there is a sensor it would through a code. May look into getting rid of it and leaving the sensor plugged in. These cars have the passenger side tube already plus I have a breather on the driver side oil cap

On my Daytona the tube hooks to the air box. When I put the Hellcat airbox on it there was no hook up so it just hung there
Installed that air box on the Challenger R/T and did the same

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
@Diboblo compare my inlet tube to yours where the erg hole is in comparison to mass air meter sensor. I have looked at many pics of these and they are not all the same. I have my mass air sensor almost hitting the power steering pump because of where the egr tube is. When I first try shutting the hood it hit so I had to rotate it more

Never been a fan of having the egr going to the intake from the engine. I would delete it but being there is a sensor it would through a code. May look into getting rid of it and leaving the sensor plugged in. These cars have the passenger side tube already plus I have a breather on the driver side oil cap

On my Daytona the tube hooks to the air box. When I put the Hellcat airbox on it there was no hook up so it just hung there
Installed that air box on the Challenger R/T and did the same
I'm out of town, for a few days. Will report, when I get back.

From memory, my sensor is in line with the grommet hole, about 6" toward the filter. There is a built up rectangle, threaded boss, with a slot, in the middle.

I'll get you pix, in a few days.

Bob

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'm out of town, for a few days. Will report, when I get back.

From memory, my sensor is in line with the grommet hole, about 6" toward the filter. There is a built up rectangle, threaded boss, with a slot, in the middle.

I'll get you pix, in a few days.

Bob
That is the mass air sensor. 17 and later are speed density so they just have the IAT sensor on the tube. That is why I think the mass air sensor may be reading air

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I did the thump,, pp air intake thumpster and it sounded internal insulated to me, but Bob can be wrong.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Haven't studied the stock air box for temps. Since putting the LMI on I have been watching them. Cooler day today. Temps were reading 66 and the IAT started at 77 leaving work. I noticed the IAT will be higher even after the car has sat all night Not much stopping on the way home but I do notice it will raise, I'm sure the stock one does also. Was low 80's when I got home. I hit some area's with my temp gun. The lid was 73, inside the box was in the 70's. The heat shield by the engine was 114-130. The intake tube was in the 80's

I don't think I could be able to get it cooler then what I'm seeing. At the track the shield should keep most of the hot air off of filter

When I was driving around yesterday, it was mid 80's and I had the air off which means the fan is on. Temps were over 100. I do remember looking at the temps with the stock air box and noticed 20 warmer then the outside air

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Is there an outlet store that sells numerous and different filters other than the manufactorer?? K & N are proud of their filters,, but $50 and then the sock that fits over the filter during a ter rentutial down pour. Another $20 if lucky. have to order a new one due to human error. Time for a paul ma granite, strawberry, bannana milk shake. Bottle of shine been sittin for a while,,, in the freezer. Rousch Mustang dude next was going to have me help me tune his exhaust. What to tune. Wide open or wide open. Shine taste pretty good.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Is there an outlet store that sells numerous and different filters other than the manufactorer?? K & N are proud of their filters,, but $50 and then the sock that fits over the filter during a ter rentutial down pour. Another $20 if lucky. have to order a new one due to human error. Time for a paul ma granite, strawberry, bannana milk shake. Bottle of shine been sittin for a while,,, in the freezer. Rousch Mustang dude next was going to have me help me tune his exhaust. What to tune. Wide open or wide open. Shine taste pretty good.
AEM makes some nice filters, brother.

Bob

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Brothah Bob comes thru with info. Thank you my friend. just fer that,, I will celebrate taco Tuesday with 2 fish tacos from Tiquauana Tacos Largo, Fl. Got those free hand dipped nachos and free soda. Trade that in fer a 1/2 milk shake traced with a bit of shine. Al ways appreciate Bob's in put and out going info. The Lightning didn't have much of a problem with their com pod rays last night.
Bob,
To let you know,, with all the health problems lately, I have not had a chance to finish up our light ing project with our low voltage cat heads emblems. My buddy Ed, tower engineer, came by and wants to finish the project. Let me know if you have sumtin else in mind to co- inside with this. I am modifying my CAI, K & N, system to meet OUR expeectations.