Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Break-In for 392; what’s the real?

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I change oil way more than is recommended....always have....relatively speaking, it's cheap.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Lot of different views of how to break in the engine what about the views on changing the oil? ... at breaking miles or right after it ? and you change it by dealer or is it OK anywhere where is reputable?
Thanks
5 to 10 hours, do it yourself.
No body is going to care about your stuff as much as you do. And while under there its a good opportunity to have a close look at everything. I hate anyone else working on my stuff. Bought myself a tire changer and balancer so I don't even have to let some gorilla scratch my rims, or hammer on my wheel nuts with an impact. I criss cross pattern torque them, go for a 5 minute drive, and recheck.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Yeah changing the oil on a 392 is very easy, usually took me 30-45 minutes taking my time.

OP
G
Member ID
Reactions
City
New York
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango 392
Thread Starter #24
Yeah, that’s the way to do it change yourself but that’s if you have the Lyft or space where to do it. I’m a big city dweller so I’m kind of limited with that good stuff😒

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Lot of different views of how to break in the engine what about the views on changing the oil? ... at breaking miles or right after it ? and you change it by dealer or is it OK anywhere where is reputable?
Thanks
For a factory motor I would still look at about 3K miles or less for the first oil change - I like to do it myself so I can give it the once over. I like to check for leaks, wear and damage etc. I usually do a short oil change interval on a normal basis - normally around 3 - 5K on a daily driver or once a year on the low mileage vehicles...

Member ID
Reactions
City
Coatesville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 DDSRT

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Ya'll take this brake in stuff too seriously. What I do first is raise the car and make sure everything is tight on the suspension. That's where I found a lot of problems. Loose A arms, loose brake rotors, and all kinds of loose bolts. Engine and trans will do just fine as long as the factory didn't screw up. Watch the oil consumption and drive it the way you want.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Basically just dont hammer it and dont force hard shifts. Try to avoid shocking the drivetrain and try not to drone along at the same rpm for too long. I always use the shifter in M mode and just vary my rpm‘s frequently. Ive never stuck exactly to the book, just no hammering down for 500 miles. Had three of these now with no issues.
That advice is reminiscent of what they told newlyweds on the honeymoon back in the early 50's:giggle::giggle:

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
That advice is reminiscent of what they told newlyweds on the honeymoon back in the early 50's:giggle::giggle:
I hammered it....A lot.:love:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I hammered it....A lot.:love:
uhhh...but was it already broke in when you got it..or were you the original owner..(said with all due respect);););)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle