Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

CA to check for non OEM tunes at emissions test?

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
We have lousy governors, but in Michigan you just send in your $ to register and no front plates.

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
I am no expert on the Montana Registration but here is what the google research engine says. In essence you are a business in Montana under a LLC business structure.

Here's how it works: You hire a Montana law firm, they set up an LLC for you, they charge you a fee, and then they register your vehicles in Montana. Not only does this save you money, it also saves you time and aggravation, since the Montana business goes to the DMV for you.
No need to hire a law firm, LegalZoom and Parasec provide entity creation services for a reasonable price.

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
10,R/T12YJKT,15SPS,16 HC,19RE,22 S/S
California guys get your nuts in a rut if you reside in the state so many days a month or year you are required to get registered in Cali sounds stupid but it's true look it up. That state thinks up the most screwed-up thing just to shove it up your prostate pocket.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
California needs to break away from the United States and sink into the ocean and hopefully it will take all them bottom feeders along with it EPA DOES THAT SHIT TO JUST GET YOUR FUCKING MONEY

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
We have lousy governors, but in Michigan you just send in your $ to register and no front plates.
I like the no front plates, they keep talking about it here in TX. but nothing yet.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Can you just purchase an additional engine computer. One with stock tune and one with aftermarket? Swap in the stock tune ECM and drive a bit for readiness code to be set then get smogged?

I hear Montana is easy to get cars registered...see a lot of Montana plates on nice cars in SoCal. Need to look into that.

I'd love to not pay registration every year to these bastards. Its over $700.
Look into South Dakota. I was just looking into it a few days ago. My friends that are retired and living in Mexico have their vehicles registered in South Dakota. That is very much the option I'll be interested in doing in a few years.

https://americasmailbox.com/tips_and_tricks/27/Vehicle-Registration

https://www.keloland.com/keloland-c...-here-and-you-can-be-a-south-dakota-resident/

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I am no expert on the Montana Registration but here is what the google research engine says. In essence you are a business in Montana under a LLC business structure.

Here's how it works: You hire a Montana law firm, they set up an LLC for you, they charge you a fee, and then they register your vehicles in Montana. Not only does this save you money, it also saves you time and aggravation, since the Montana business goes to the DMV for you.
DONT DO THIS! Calif knows about and aggressively investigates the Montana LLC deal that you’re talking about. You’ll be sitting down with one of their auditors being asked to show how that LLC is more than sham to avoid Calif registration fees and taxes. This was a big deal in the RV world to avoid sales tax and fees on expensive motor homes in costly blue states. People actually went to jail. The legal way to do it is a South Dakota private mailbox that gets you a legal residence in that state. This is actually supported by the State of South Dakota (not just some attorney telling what you want to hear). When you travel the country in a motor coach (I did it for 10 years) you will see that many of the high end coaches have SD plates. I did.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I like the no front plates, they keep talking about it here in TX. but nothing yet.
It really is silly. When I lived in Denver I had a Mopar plate on the front of my Dart and got pulled over. How times have changed. I see cars almost daily in Michigan with no plates. I'm also driving on the back roads not even in the city so I'm sure it is even worse then what I'm seeing

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I think the article I read was about South Dakota. I was thinking one of the states in that area

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I think the article I read was about South Dakota. I was thinking one of the states in that area
It could've been about Montana too. I just watched a bunch of videos on vehicle registration there a few nights ago when I was looking up the South Dakota stuff.

South Dakota seems the easier and better way to go.