Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Cat is Out of the Bag - 2.85 Upgrade

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I decided to finally do a 2.85 TBA Machine pulley ( Thanks to Todd owner of TBA Machine for a great deal ) , F1 1000cc injectors ( Thanks to Keith owner of Fuel 1 for a great deal ) & have it retuned. After the Track Rental day a couple of weeks ago & my best time was 10.241 on stock boost, I figured that I have just about got the most of stock boost with my set up & I wanted a little more to run 10.0's & maybe high 9.'s so here we are. The install went pretty smooth after watching a lot of different vids on it & @Speedy's vid on his install, good info !
Got the retune yesterday at Peitz Performance , job well done to Alex ( owner & tuner ) & the whole shop !
It's a Mustang Dyno which will show a little lower readings vs a Dynojet Dyno, but it made 732 hp / 688 torq. - 93 octane tune. If we don't get rained out this Friday ? I'm excited to see what # it will run at the track , to me that's what really matters.

Attachments

Last edited:

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I'm excited to see what # it will run at the track , to me that's what really matters.
Isn't it funny the $ we'll spend just to see different #'s on that little piece of paper?

I hope all your upgrading goes smoothly and the car just flat strolls!

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Isn't it funny the $ we'll spend just to see different #'s on that little piece of paper?

I hope all your upgrading goes smoothly and the car just flat strolls!
Thanks , & yes it is , but considering that I did the labor , the total cost was $933 ( pulley , injectors & retune ).
I'm done with it at this point, I don't want to push it any further & will be happy with what it does now.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Look how purty the underside of that S/C lid is... 'Damn near eat off of it...

;)

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Congrats on the upgrade, the install is really pretty simple once you get in there. I've not heard of the TBA pulley but it appears to be decoupler like the Litens?

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
Congrats on the upgrade, the install is really pretty simple once you get in there. I've not heard of the TBA pulley but it appears to be decoupler like the Litens?
Thanks Speedy, the TBA is not a decoupler pulley , it the hub is octagon shape , as well as the pulley & does all of it's driving force with the hub center on the pulley center , the 6 screws just hold the pulley on the hub, hope that made sense. I went with TBA over the Litens or Metco pulley bc of cost , design & I already have my lower stock damper pinned.

Last edited:
OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
Look how purty the underside of that S/C lid is... 'Damn near eat off of it...

;)
It would make a good ice cream bowl. :LOL:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I decided to finally do a 2.85 TBA Machine pulley ( Thanks to Todd owner of TBA Machine for a great deal ) , F1 1000cc injectors ( Thanks to Brian owner of Fuel 1 for a great deal ) & have it retuned. After the Track Rental day a couple of weeks ago & my best time was 10.241 on stock boost, I figured that I have just about got the most of stock boost with my set up & I wanted a little more to run 10.0's & maybe high 9.'s so here we are. The install went pretty smooth after watching a lot of different vids on it & @Speedy's vid on his install, good info !
Got the retune yesterday at Peitz Performance , job well done to Alex ( owner & tuner ) & the whole shop !
It's a Mustang Dyno which will show a little lower readings vs a Dynojet Dyno, but it made 732 hp / 688 torq. - 93 oct. tune. If we don't get rained out this Friday ? I'm excited to see what # it will run at the track , to me that's what really matters.
Really nice looking. That's the factory snout and elbow, just with the new pulley, right?

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Famous last words. Lol

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yep makes sense. I like the decouple setup on the Litens to keep pressure off the blower when you shut the throttle, but lots of folks run fixed pulleys no problem as well. Glad to hear the crank is pinned. Cheap insurance.

9s here you come.

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11
Really nice looking. That's the factory snout and elbow, just with the new pulley, right?
Thanks & that's correct.

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
Yep makes sense. I like the decouple setup on the Litens to keep pressure off the blower when you shut the throttle, but lots of folks run fixed pulleys no problem as well. Glad to hear the crank is pinned. Cheap insurance.

9s here you come.
FYI , I don't know if anyone else has had this issue but the shop that did my tune was showing me they have had several Litens pulley failures , where some snap ring had broke or came out & the pulley would walk back into the snout , so just keep a eye on that ?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I've heard one report about something like that. Litens asked for the pulley back to do an analysis and (from memory) something was done incorrectly during install. Also, they I've seen they now include a spacing washer so I assume some of the blower snouts that are cast aren't all exactly the same. I was told to measure mine after install to make sure I had 2-3mm between the pulley and the snout. Mine was on the close side at 2mm but was good. I bet some hit the snout at install and that might be what the shop was seeing. Mine's been on there a year with LOTS of WOT hits. Probably in the hundreds at this point :sneaky: The pulleys the same design as OEM.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
It’s about time your balls dropped 😂

Last edited:
OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
I've heard one report about something like that. Litens asked for the pulley back to do an analysis and (from memory) something was done incorrectly during install. Also, they I've seen they now include a spacing washer so I assume some of the blower snouts that are cast aren't all exactly the same. I was told to measure mine after install to make sure I had 2-3mm between the pulley and the snout. Mine was on the close side at 2mm but was good. I bet some hit the snout at install and that might be what the shop was seeing. Mine's been on there a year with LOTS of WOT hits. Probably in the hundreds at this point :sneaky: The pulleys the same design as OEM.
OK , good to know that, I haven't heard of issues with Litens pulley until the shop mentioned it, so prob. some difference between each snout or one of those fluke things ?

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Well I guess I am just waiting on you running 9's.
Then I can go out in spring and feel slow.
Great pics. I can't believe how clean the blower looks compared to the one they took off my car.

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #17
It’s about time your balls dropped 😂
Well I guess some drop sooner than others , but as long as they drop we're all good ! :LOL:

I just wanted to see what I could do with stock boost b4 I did any more. I think it might of had a little more in it with low humidity on track day but we hardly ever get low humidity down here on the coast , so it is what it is. ;)

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #18
Well I guess I am just waiting on you running 9's.
Then I can go out in spring and feel slow.
Great pics. I can't believe how clean the blower looks compared to the one they took off my car.
Thanks Jim, maybe with great DA it will run 9's but I don't expect it to be the norm.
It might be so clean bc it only has 6900 miles on it & in March I will have had it 3 years, lol.

Don't forget your still fast too !

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thanks Jim, maybe with great DA it will run 9's but I don't expect it to be the norm.
It might be so clean bc it only has 6900 miles on it & in March I will have had it 3 years, lol.

Don't forget your still fast too !
Everything on mine was coated in oil. Mine had about that on it when they changed the blower. The mechanic had no problem with installing the spacers when he saw them after seeing all that mess. LOL
I just do my thing and have fun.
I have to give my track lots of credit for the fast part. I can line up and confidently nail it 99.99% of the time. The track usually only gives up near the end of the day when they stop keeping up with it.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
OK , good to know that, I haven't heard of issues with Litens pulley until the shop mentioned it, so prob. some difference between each snout or one of those fluke things ?
Not exactly one off but something folks need to be aware of. Cast parts aren't all that precise.