Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Charger Hellcat slow engine start when heat soaked

Member ID
Reactions
City
Land O lakes
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
I hate to say this out loud...

But this has just a hint of pistons that are too tight in their bores...

See? Now that I've said it out loud, doesn't it sound dumb...?

Battery/starter/alternator sounds MUCH better...
🤫 shhhhh

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Member ID
Reactions
City
Land O lakes
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
No overheat issues
Yeah, I know... but....
Not having any overheat issue. Temps are fine. Not burning any oil and oil is clean.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
No overheat issues

Not having any overheat issue. Temps are fine. Not burning any oil and oil is clean.
Ok, I don't really believe this...

But playing the whatif game...

If the pistons were just on the high side of size tolerance, and you get in that perfect spot where the pistons have fully expanded from heat, but the block has not (cast iron, large, vs aluminum, small)...

Now things are going to be tight....

It wouldn't be the first motor I've seen this in...

OP
Av8ing1

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #25
Not a very happy thought. Hard to believe that production tolerances would be such that this was possible.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Not a very happy thought. Hard to believe that production tolerances would be such that this was possible.

To be super clear, I really don't believe this to be the case, I ONLY bring it up as a remote, distant possibility...

OP
Av8ing1

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #27
I think this issue has expanded beyond the occasional car with a bad battery, so everything is worth consideration.

Would an engine still turn with the starter if the pistons had expanded to the point of contact with the cylinder wall? Would metal be made that could be seen in an oil analysis? Would the tight tolerances change with brake in? Would such tight cars end up being faster... : )

Member ID
Reactions
City
Land O lakes
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I noticed that our engines are manufactured in the USA now. I believe my 2018 was manufactured in Mexico. Maybe some tolerances changed in manufacturing?

Attachments

Member ID
Reactions
City
Land O lakes
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I took mine out for a bit this morning. I haven’t driven it much since picking it up. Shut down and restarted multiple times with no issues now.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
The last time it happened, I had been driving for 2 hours so no issues with piston vs engine block temps. I parked at a restaurant that has wings. LOL. Got out. I noticed I was a bit off center in the parking spot. I jumped in, pushed the start button and the car cranks slow a couple of turns then fires up. As soon as it fired up I turned the wheel, still in park, and the car died. I pushed the start button, car fired right up. I turned the wheel, no issues, put the car in drive, repositioned the car, all done. I came out about an hour later, car started fine no slow crank.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
The last time it happened, I had been driving for 2 hours so no issues with piston vs engine block temps. I parked at a restaurant that has wings. LOL. Got out. I noticed I was a bit off center in the parking spot. I jumped in, pushed the start button and the car cranks slow a couple of turns then fires up. As soon as it fired up I turned the wheel, still in park, and the car died. I pushed the start button, car fired right up. I turned the wheel, no issues, put the car in drive, repositioned the car, all done. I came out about an hour later, car started fine no slow crank.
Hi HTX Hellcat, We certainly understand why this may be concerning. Please follow up with us via DM to provide more details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.
Rob
DodgeCares

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
Maybe they recreated the slow crank problem they had on the 2009s. TSB installed a new (larger) ground cables at the battery and in the engine bay to the transmission. Also a higher capacity battery. Maybe a 6-Sigma cost cutting project recycled after 10 years. o_O

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I noticed that our engines are manufactured in the USA now. I believe my 2018 was manufactured in Mexico. Maybe some tolerances changed in manufacturing?
I suspect the engines are still assembled in Mexico (the origin of the parts is not mexico, origin of the non-union ultra-cheap labor to assemble them is). The rules are real squirrelly around what they can say about what being from where.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Woodland Hills
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Same problem on my 2019 Hellcat. It is that sinking feeling that you are going to be left stranded when it wont crank normally. Or my personal favorite when it cranks repeatedly and does not start. No switching the key to off. Just let it crank its 10-15 second course that feels like a minute and a half. Reported to dealer, got a new battery, did not fix the problem. Going in again with corporate support so we will see what the repair might look like. Definitely more of a known problem as I see more and more posts. Dodge clearly knows about this. Definitely needs a fix. I understand no one has been harmed, but I expect my expensive sled to crank and fire when BRAND NEW! Will advise when repaired.

OP
Av8ing1

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #35
Definitely let us know how it goes. My car no longer worries me, I've got almost 7k miles on her now and since the new AGM non OEM battery replacement, its been somewhat better and never failed to start. Maybe she is broken in good and all loosened up now? Maybe the stock battery just sucks? Maybe a better battery just helps mask some other condition that is the real issue?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Woodland Hills
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Definitely let us know how it goes. My car no longer worries me, I've got almost 7k miles on her now and since the new AGM non OEM battery replacement, its been somewhat better and never failed to start. Maybe she is broken in good and all loosened up now? Maybe the stock battery just sucks? Maybe a better battery just helps mask some other condition that is the real issue?
I will let you know. Still in the shop! Speak soon.