Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Chopped Pirelli Tires on My 1-Year Old SRT

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Johns
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango SRT
After just one year and 13k miles, all my tires are badly chopped on the inside corners. Only now noticed the problem because the tires are getting so loud on the highway compared to my wife’s car. Dealer confirmed the alignment was out and realigned but wouldn’t want to do any with the tires, leaving me stuck with a set of loud tires or shell out $3000 to replace! The alignment must have been out since day one when I bought the truck. Called Chrysler and they said they can’t do anything about it and told me to call Pirelli. Pirelli offered 15% off on their new set of tires. I’m just shocked (I know, I shouldn’t) that Chrysler doesn’t step up to do the right thing because it’s clear the chopped tires caused by the misalignment from the factory. So, beware! have your alignment checked if you just bought a new truck. The noise from the damaged tires gradually gets worse so it’s hard to notice until it’s too late.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Those tires can be replaced for MUCH less than $3k!

But personally, I'd replace them with Michelin PS4Ss anyway.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
"Only now noticed...alignment must have been out since day one... it’s clear the chopped tires caused by the misalignment from the factory..." You offer no proof, only suppositions and you can't blame them for not covering a wear item that took you 13,000 miles to notice. Move on.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Oops, I may have misspoke, I was fixated on Challenger/Charger.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
So our MY19 Durango SRT is at 21K and the tires are doing well, but I've also rotated them every 3K miles (they're overdue now...)

I did check on tirerack.com and sure enough, the OE tires are ******* expensive at the moment! Not quite $3K, but maybe close enough.

1644371248719.png

The Summers are more expensive...
1644371315485.png

Non-Runflats...

1644371343520.png

Tough pill to swallow, but it's the price of driving a SRT Durango I guess.

Our turn will probably be coming up next fall.

: (

OP
Ttjax
Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Johns
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango SRT
Thread Starter #6
"Only now noticed...alignment must have been out since day one... it’s clear the chopped tires caused by the misalignment from the factory..." You offer no proof, only suppositions and you can't blame them for not covering a wear item that took you 13,000 miles to notice. Move on.
What else could be the cause?

OP
Ttjax
Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Johns
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango SRT
Thread Starter #7
So our MY19 Durango SRT is at 21K and the tires are doing well, but I've also rotated them every 3K miles (they're overdue now...)

I did check on tirerack.com and sure enough, the OE tires are ******* expensive at the moment! Not quite $3K, but maybe close enough.

View attachment 63326

The Summers are more expensive...
View attachment 63327

Non-Runflats...

View attachment 63328

Tough pill to swallow, but it's the price of driving a SRT Durango I guess.

Our turn will probably be coming up next fall.

: (
I have them rotated and balanced every 5k (so twice now). Will definitely not get Pirelli next time

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I have them rotated and balanced every 5k (so twice now). Will definitely not get Pirelli next time

If the alignment is out (regardless of what the root cause of bad alignment is), it will eat ANY tire...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm also not sure I'd give up on having the tires included in the warranty claim.

You might send dodgecares a PM and see if they can help...

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I don’t know what you mean by chopped? Out of balance or bad shocks will cause them to be cupped all around. Out of line causes them to wear unevenly as does faulty air pressure. It’s hard to understand why you didn’t notice it or why it wasn’t noticed when you cleaned your wheels or bought your car in for rotation and oil changes every 5,000 miles?

Last edited:

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
I'm sure it was the cause. But how do you expect to show up after the tires are ruined (which took a year 13,000 miles) and expect new tires, which are a wear item and aren't covered anyway? What else do you want, reimbursement for reduced gas mileage caused by the bad alignment? And then you blame Pirelli for their tires not holding up to this terrible alignment?

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'm sure it was the cause. But how do you expect to show up after the tires are ruined (which took a year 13,000 miles) and expect new tires, which are a wear item and aren't covered anyway? What else do you want, reimbursement for reduced gas mileage caused by the bad alignment? And then you blame Pirelli for their tires not holding up to this terrible alignment?
It would have been noticed if he actually had his tires rotated and balanced 3,000 miles ago. What do chopped tires look like anyways?[dunno]

OP
Ttjax
Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Johns
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango SRT
Thread Starter #13
W
take a chill pill. I was just trying to warn others of the issue I had. Why did you get so offensive?

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
W

take a chill pill. I was just trying to warn others of the issue I had. Why did you get so offensive?
I really don’t think most guys on here who own a 700+ horsepower/200 mph car need to be warned about how to monitor their tires. The comments are mostly trying to advise you that it’s not Pirelli’s or Dodge’s fault.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Well,, hell, I am sure to hate to hear about that. But in 2018 not knowing the tires and or roads that I wood be abusing them from. I took out an extended warranty and a separate ones for tires and wheels. I am on my last year of so called warranty. I will be taking the car in 2 more times to fix tires and wheels. I am just like every red neck out there. Heat the tires up,, then burn em up. I have 14,000 on mine and have had them rotated every 3,000 miles. If there was sumtin wrong with the front end or a wabble. I wood be in the shop Monday morn. Tires ain't perty but as soft as they are. Can't abuse em either. Tires are as soft as a Trojan.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Oops, I may have misspoke, I was fixated on Challenger/Charger.
And just how long have you had this.. "fixation" with CC o_Oo_Oo_O

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I thi
It would have been noticed if he actually had his tires rotated and balanced 3,000 miles ago. What do chopped tires look like anyways?[dunno]
I think he's referring to a cupped tire...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I don’t know what you mean by chopped? Out of balance or bad shocks will cause them to be cupped all around. Out of line causes them to wear unevenly as does faulty air pressure. It’s hard to understand why you didn’t notice it or why it wasn’t noticed when you cleaned your wheels or bought your car in for rotation and oil changes every 5,000 miles?
I find it a bit strange that all tires have deteriorated...balance issues on all tires?..or bad shocks @ every corner...find it hard to believe that any issues that would cause unusual wear patterns would not have been felt to some degree in !3,000 miles of driving..:unsure:

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
OP. When you get the new tires on I recommend having the alignment checked. The maintenance report generated on the invoice should show the as found condition ie: toe, camber, caster. And then it should show the acceptable as left condition. It would be interesting if you could snap a pick and post the findings. I must agree with Silver Billet on some level, uneven wear is typical an alignment issue. But cupping is usually a wheel loosing partial uneven contact with road surface. This cupping you found would normally be caused by what S.B. Said out of balance issue or bad shocks. I would probably rule out bad shocks being a new vehicle with 13k miles My thought from previous experience doing front end alignments would be its a combination of Alignment and balance. Under certain conditions of parking a vehicle extended periods with certain tire compounds especially if under inflated tire pressures the wheel can become slightly flat on one spot, out of round causing out of balance, and the tire cupping. If out of alignment most likely toe this could give the inboard side this cupping condition. I would think this condition would produce at least a slight shake until tire ran several miles and tire compound warmed then the tire came back into round conformance. Keep us posted.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
W

Thanks, consider us warned not to wait a year and 13,000 miles to have a repair done. Consider us warned that the factory will not replace tires damaged as a result of out failure to act. Consider us warned that Pirellis are lousy tires that will not withstand a year and 13,000 miles of a bad alignment. Do you also have any warnings about answering emails from Nigerian princes or phone calls about warrants on our name that we can settle by buying $300 of Walmart gift cards?