Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Difference In Diesel Fuel - Who Sells The Good Stuff?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
It seems to getting difficult to find quality diesel fuel. Some of the major brands that I've used the truck seems struggle with it and gets lousy fuel economy, especially when pulling the trailer.
I have found that most truckstops seem to have decent quality and a local BP next to my neighborhood.

What is your experience and what do you recommend?

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
It seems to getting difficult to find quality diesel fuel. Some of the major brands that I've used the truck seems struggle with it and gets lousy fuel economy, especially when pulling the trailer.
I have found that most truckstops seem to have decent quality and a local BP next to my neighborhood.

What is your experience and what do you recommend?
I suppose you being in Florida you don`t have to put up with winter diesel or do you.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
I suppose you being in Florida you don`t have to put up with winter diesel or do you.
I don't think so but what happened to the good fuel lately? ⁸

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
we have #1 diesel in the winter which has lower energy in it compared to #2 which is summer grade.
you should find a place that has #2 summer blend for better performance.
I would think the truck stops in your area would have #1 winter because of trucks from up north.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Our commercial fleet truck mileage has dropped 1/2...to 3/4 of a mile per gal in 3rd quarter...may not sound like much...but with each truck averaging 1800/2000 miles a week..it's significant..poor fuel quality..the biggest contributing factor..as far as I can tell...refining short cuts??...who knows...

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Our commercial fleet truck mileage has dropped 1/2...to 3/4 of a mile per gal in 3rd quarter...may not sound like much...but with each truck averaging 1800/2000 miles a week..it's significant..poor fuel quality..the biggest contributing factor..as far as I can tell...refining short cuts??...who knows...
for sure where you live your dealing with #1 winter blend which will not give you the mileage that #2 summer gives compounded with cold weather not helping any.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
I drop anywhere from 2-5 mpg on the shitty fuel. It's hard to know where to get the good stuff?

I put Shell in it on Saturday and it was bad.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
for sure where you live your dealing with #1 winter blend which will not give you the mileage that #2 summer gives compounded with cold weather not helping any.
Not sure when the change over to winter blend exactly takes place...but we monitor these figures quarterly...Jul/Aug/Sept..figures are what I'm referencing...we use a single local provider..trucks are 2018 or newer..automatics w/cruise control..and aero packages so driver variables are minimalized...we are in our 50th year of operation...this past 3rd qtr figures are down from past years...

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
Not sure when the change over to winter blend exactly takes place...but we monitor these figures quarterly...Jul/Aug/Sept..figures are what I'm referencing...we use a single local provider..trucks are 2018 or newer..automatics w/cruise control..and aero packages so driver variables are minimalized...we are in our 50th year of operation...this past 3rd qtr figures are down from past years...
I'm perplexed by the performance and fuel efficiency with this diesel fuel that's out there.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I'm perplexed by the performance and fuel efficiency with this diesel fuel that's out there.
As am I...something is amiss...and even Penske Leasing who provides our trucks has acknowledged this as well...now..try and get an answer from big oil..let me know how that works out..;);)

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I guess like you guys say the quality has gone for a crap. I been driving my wife`s car a lot cause diesel up here is roughly 8-10 bucks a gallon at the moment.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I guess like you guys say the quality has gone for a crap. I been driving my wife`s car a lot cause diesel up here is roughly 8-10 bucks a gallon at the moment.
I have been around trucks my whole adult life..(drove CDL for over 10 yrs. in all kind of weather)..would never own a diesel pickup..a few drops of fuel on the rugs smells forever..gas smell is gone in minutes...

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
I have been around trucks my whole adult life..(drove CDL for over 10 yrs. in all kind of weather)..would never own a diesel pickup..a few drops of fuel on the rugs smells forever..gas smell is gone in minutes...
Diesel gets the job done for me.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Diesel gets the job done for me.
It works for a lot of people...my last P/U MY 2018 was a gas Ram 2500...the ride quality was way too harsh for me..(I log over 40k a year in my trucks),,in 2021 I went back to a Ram 1500 limited...It rides like a Bently...but it's a work truck..we regularly load it with 2500lbs. +...it plows during winter..tows my 20ft enclosed trailer...it gets beat up pretty good...it's been flawless..I get a new Ram every 3 yrs...you would not want one of my trucks when I'm done with it..;););)

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
My 04 Ram 2500 CTD doesn’t seem too picky with the fuel. I use either Conoco, close to house and by far best price. Filled ystrdy for 4.65/g. My other go to is Quick Check as they are on the right side of the street on my way home. Also so far so good, but about .15-.20 more than Conoco.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
It works for a lot of people...my last P/U MY 2018 was a gas Ram 2500...the ride quality was way too harsh for me..(I log over 40k a year in my trucks),,in 2021 I went back to a Ram 1500 limited...It rides like a Bently...but it's a work truck..we regularly load it with 2500lbs. +...it plows during winter..tows my 20ft enclosed trailer...it gets beat up pretty good...it's been flawless..I get a new Ram every 3 yrs...you would not want one of my trucks when I'm done with it..;););)
I sense your brand loyal :) but I challenge you to take a GMC 1500 with the 3.0 turbo diesel for a test drive an let me know what you think:unsure:
you will be very surprised.
I change mine every 3 years as well, just ordered a 23 to replace this one...................I know hell will freeze over before you set your butt in a GMC lol

Attachments

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
DavidKFla, you may want to dive into the rabbit hole of additives.

I generally have to use anti-gel (which shouldn't be an issue for you), as with the limited driving I do, the 74 gallons of fuel often end up being summer blend in the winter and vice versa.

Anyway, some additives do promise higher cetane and improved mileage. Getting between 5 and 12 mpg for the most part, you'd think I'd know which additive to use, but I don't.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
😂😂 He said it plows😂😂. Hell ya it does!😂

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #19
DavidKFla, you may want to dive into the rabbit hole of additives.

I generally have to use anti-gel (which shouldn't be an issue for you), as with the limited driving I do, the 74 gallons of fuel often end up being summer blend in the winter and vice versa.

Anyway, some additives do promise higher cetane and improved mileage. Getting between 5 and 12 mpg for the most part, you'd think I'd know which additive to use, but I don't.
I averaged 13.8 on the way over in heavy stop and go traffic. By the time I got home it was at 11.0. Has to refuel at midpoint of the trip.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I averaged 13.8 on the way over in heavy stop and go traffic. By the time I got home it was at 11.0. Has to refuel at midpoint of the trip.
Ah, sounds like you're going by the Lie-O-Meter, not calculating actual mileage.

That makes it a bit tricky to know what's really going on, as it shows the mpg over the past 200 miles or so, and not necessarily accurately.