Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Do you cover the two air vents on the hood before a car wash?

Hemidayz

Member ID
Reactions
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 WB Hellcat Charger
Do you ever run your car through a touchless car wash and not cover the two side hood air vents? I see that the drivers side air vent gives air to the air filter but not sure if the passenger hood air vent will Just drip water onto the engine. Any advice ??

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
Do you ever run your car through a touchless car wash and not cover the two side hood air vents? I see that the drivers side air vent gives air to the air filter but not sure if the passenger hood air vent will Just drip water onto the engine. Any advice ??
I don't recommend a touchless wash for the simple fact that the stripping chemicals they use can be very hard on your paint. Of course, I don't recommend a touch wash either. If, for a medical reason, you can't wash the vehicle yourself, a touchless won't be bad so long as you remember to hydrate the paint again with a little wax/water. The strippers can damage it pretty badly.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I don't recommend a touchless wash for the simple fact that the stripping chemicals they use can be very hard on your paint. Of course, I don't recommend a touch wash either. If, for a medical reason, you can't wash the vehicle yourself, a touchless won't be bad so long as you remember to hydrate the paint again with a little wax/water. The strippers can damage it pretty badly.
Never run any of my cars through any automated wash...my truck...yes.....once I had a stripper throw a vodka tonic at my truck in the parking lot...but she didn't do any damage...

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Never run any of my cars through any automated wash...my truck...yes.....once I had a stripper throw a vodka tonic at my truck in the parking lot...but she didn't do any damage...
I bet there is a story behind that...bad tipper??? 😅🤣😂🤣😅

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Car wash. What’s that? Haven’t been to one in 20 years.

OP
Hemidayz

Hemidayz

Member ID
Reactions
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 WB Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #6
so how do you cover the two air vents on the hellcat hood when you wash ?

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
No worries I run my cats thru a really nice car wash and the hood vents were designed to have water run thru them otherwise you couldn’t drive in the rain nor let your car sit outside in the rain.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ except I only hand wash mine

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Never use a car wash, always do it by hand, but have looked long & hard for something to cover those vents while washing & no bueno :(

Hmmm, you been hanging out with the Hickster ? Sounds like something he'd say ...................... :unsure::whistle:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Nope... After soap, I do flood out the vents, after washing, I open up the good and detail by hand.

63356.jpeg

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I would never have taken mine through any kind of car wash. I did cut some out of aluminum and used some 1/4” carriage bolts with nuts or wing nuts and washers underneath to keep the water out as much as possible when I hand wash it. They are not water tight so I put a bath towel under each side to help absorb water that leaks through. I also cut one out of a little heavier gauge aluminum with a rubber gasket behind it for the hood scoop to keep bugs and rain out when driving at night or with possible rain in the forecast and on a trip. EA489F55-57E3-4777-A199-47A8A23FCCE3.jpeg

Last edited:

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
They have drains

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
They have drains
I thought we were talking about a Hellcat Charger? There are no drains.

OP
Hemidayz

Hemidayz

Member ID
Reactions
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 WB Hellcat Charger
Thread Starter #14
I thought we were talking about a Hellcat Charger? There are no drains.
yea im Not really seeing any drains

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
yea im Not really seeing any drains
Make a paper pattern and use it to trace on some thin cardboard. Cut and use that to draw the pattern on a piece of thin gauge aluminum sheet that you can cut with tin snips. The right and left side are mirror images (opposite). You can use 3 or 4 carriage bolts and figure out how to line up the holes between the openings in the hood vents.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
This is a very interesting conversation lol I have owned now 2 Hellcat Chargers over the last 4 years and never have had water issues in the vents. To the point I used to only go to the car wash with my first Hellcat and at least 3-4 times a month and it would sit outside in rain and snow as well. And now my second Charger Hellcat I have actually hand washed her more than going to the car wash but same story she sits outside in rain and snow. Summing it up can anyone here show in the owners manual a warning of the hood vents getting water in them and doing damage to the car?
I owned the 2019 Toyota Tacoma Pro with the factory Snorkel and it had a big warning label inside the passengers side to never take her thru a car wash. And I used to detail cars 30 years ago and sell automotive waxes and cleaners and polishes. The Dodge paint is not a prestigious paint and has many flaws in it. If you think taking your car to a really good soft touch car wash is going to ruin the paint well your driving the wrong car lol. Yeah I would not take my Black Bugatti to the car wash lol. And what amazes me about car values they all depreciate the exact same whether you have an incredible pristine clean used car versus a nice clean used car you will not get any more money fir her. Trust me on that one lol I have traded in cars with low mileage and basically brand new and yep KBB value is KBB value no matter how cherry she is. I used to take my Plum Crazy only to the car wash all the time.
75EC0764-153A-4DE8-9799-06A0641C4678.jpeg 1CA00E77-82F0-4887-B8C3-FD16E2C595B6.jpeg 280ED49A-DBC5-4F6C-8031-02704829B3BE.jpeg E44C0F62-673C-4429-ADE0-3883854DB47F.jpeg

Last edited:

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
It’s not a matter of any damage or not. It isn’t that easy to detail your engine compartment and I always like mine to look like new. If you get water and soap in there, it will eventually show it. It may be different if you treat it like a daily driver but I always treated mine just like my classic show car.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
I let the water come in... because then I detail the engine bay. The cat is easy to wash.. the mid engine is a pain in the ass.

WileECoyote

Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prattville
State
AL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I would never have taken mine through any kind of car wash. I did cut some out of aluminum and used some 1/4” carriage bolts with nuts or wing nuts and washers underneath to keep the water out as much as possible when I hand wash it. They are not water tight so I put a bath towel under each side to help absorb water that leaks through. I also cut one out of a little heavier gauge aluminum with a rubber gasket behind it for the hood scoop to keep bugs and rain out when driving at night or with possible rain in the forecast and on a trip. View attachment 25223

Thought about making something like that out of plexiglass or thick rubber mat but didn't want to go buy a scroll saw for a 10 minute job.
Tried to talk Weebz (was making custom vents on the other site) into making something, but he wasn't interested :confused: