Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Does anyone know about plows on 2019+ Ram 1500 DT???

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 HCM6 2022 RENB
I am hoping maybe you guys might know more about Rams than the guys on the Ram forums. I have a 22 Ram 1500 on order and I need a plow for my 2000’ unpaved driveway. I did the last 20 years with a Silverado 1500 and a trip edge Meyer, tempted to keep it but really don’t want to deal with 2 trucks.

The 22 Ram 1500 is a DT model which was introduced in 2019. (The Classic is the DS model.) From what I am hearing from plow vendors is the choices for the new 1500 DT are limited. Most offerings are full trip which I don’t like, Fisher has a trip edge but the local vendor warned me about low ground clearance. He said he installed one last year and the when the guy left the mount scraped the road pretty good as he pulled onto the road.

If anyone had experience/knowledge of plows on the Ram 1500 DT, I would really like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!!!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I was going to say don't put a plow on a 1500...

...but clearly you've done it already...

As long as you take it easy I guess.

; )

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I am hoping maybe you guys might know more about Rams than the guys on the Ram forums. I have a 22 Ram 1500 on order and I need a plow for my 2000’ unpaved driveway. I did the last 20 years with a Silverado 1500 and a trip edge Meyer, tempted to keep it but really don’t want to deal with 2 trucks.

The 22 Ram 1500 is a DT model which was introduced in 2019. (The Classic is the DS model.) From what I am hearing from plow vendors is the choices for the new 1500 DT are limited. Most offerings are full trip which I don’t like, Fisher has a trip edge but the local vendor warned me about low ground clearance. He said he installed one last year and the when the guy left the mount scraped the road pretty good as he pulled onto the road.

If anyone had experience/knowledge of plows on the Ram 1500 DT, I would really like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!!!
There is someone on here who is familiar with plowing…maybe he will comment

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I'm somewhat familiar with the subject, but not with using pickups to do it.

I'd keep the Silverado for plow duty. If it has lasted this long, chances are it'll survive a bit longer.
No need to keep it registered and insured, right?

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 HCM6 2022 RENB
Thread Starter #5
I was going to say don't put a plow on a 1500...
; )
I just need to do my driveway after a storm and I don't want to give up the comfort of the 1/2 ton just for that. Not like I'm doing every driveway and parking lot in town. My first plow truck was an S10 Blazer, it was clearly too light duty for the NH snow!

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 HCM6 2022 RENB
Thread Starter #6
I'm somewhat familiar with the subject, but not with using pickups to do it.

I'd keep the Silverado for plow duty. If it has lasted this long, chances are it'll survive a bit longer.
No need to keep it registered and insured, right?
True, but still have to keep it running. And the more it sits, the harder that is. Besides full insu + reg is only about $400.

If I wasn't worried about the availability of V8 1/2 tons in the future, I'd just keep driving the old truck until is pukes. Koons was still giving 5% under invoice, and I need only one more truck to last the duration so I thought this is the right time.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 HCM6 2022 RENB
Thread Starter #8

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

I have a 21 Ram 1500 limited...(I've been putting plows on Ram 1500's forever)...the stainless Snow Dog..(or equivalent) work fine)...I have only plowed paved surfaces....be advised if you have any transmission issues...the factory will void your warrantee..(ask me how I know)

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Thanks Linda, but nothing there on putting a plow on the DT, really nothing much anywhere. Unusual to have this little info on the web on something I thought would be fairly common. Looks like all the mfr's had to redo everything when the 2019 DT came out.
What does DT mean.

I have to look at what our Ram was prior to our 3500. My husband was buying for towing.
But He did plow with our Ram. I have the plow it's been sitting idle. I'm not sure what brand it is.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
What does DT mean.

I have to look at what our Ram was prior to our 3500. My husband was buying for towing.
But He did plow with our Ram. I have the plow it's been sitting idle. I'm not sure what brand it is.
Yeah I'm not sure what that DT thing is either...

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
I have a 21 Ram 1500 limited...(I've been putting plows on Ram 1500's forever)...the stainless Snow Dog..(or equivalent) work fine)...I have only plowed paved surfaces....be advised if you have any transmission issues...the factory will void your warrantee..(ask me how I know)
@SilverBillet And there he is the forum Snow Plow Guy and Jokester........as you have found out @2ndAmend

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
@SilverBillet And there he is the forum Snow Plow Guy and Jokester........as you have found out @2ndAmend
The stainless plow on a 1500 is great for opening tuna cans and Jeep SUV's....(just don't ask me how I know)

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 HCM6 2022 RENB
Thread Starter #14
DT is the model designation for the Ram 1500 non-Classic, the DS is the Classic. I have the non-Classic (DT) on order. I guess it is easier to write DT instead f "non-Classic", except when people don't know (or when I forget!).

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
DT is the model designation for the Ram 1500 non-Classic, the DS is the Classic. I have the non-Classic (DT) on order. I guess it is easier to write DT instead f "non-Classic", except when people don't know (or when I forget!).
So what is the difference of a non classic:unsure:...undercarriage?...suspension?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
The stainless plow on a 1500 is great for opening tuna cans and Jeep SUV's....(just don't ask me how I know)
So Linda...WTF...when did I become a jokester ?????

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
True, but still have to keep it running. And the more it sits, the harder that is. Besides full insu + reg is only about $400.

If I wasn't worried about the availability of V8 1/2 tons in the future, I'd just keep driving the old truck until is pukes. Koons was still giving 5% under invoice, and I need only one more truck to last the duration so I thought this is the right time.
So I'm going to take a stab in the dark of the value of a 20 year old Chevy Silverado's value would be roughly 5 grand. Why would you continue to carry full coverage on a truck 20 years old ? Instead of spending the money for a new plow for the Dodge. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just keep the Cheby around to do your snow plowing and not tear up the new truck , If you never take it off your property why license it, just pay the annual property property tax and only carry storage insurance on it.

Make that old Chevy like the farm truck it was meant to be when it rolled off the assembly line [ridinghorse]

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 HCM6 2022 RENB
Thread Starter #18
So what is the difference of a non classic:unsure:...undercarriage?...suspension?
the Classic is the 4th gen starting in 2010, they continue to offer it. The "Ram 1500" is the 5th gen, there are mechanical differences, I don't know the details.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 HCM6 2022 RENB
Thread Starter #19
So I'm going to take a stab in the dark of the value of a 20 year old Chevy Silverado's value would be roughly 5 grand. Why would you continue to carry full coverage on a truck 20 years old ? Instead of spending the money for a new plow for the Dodge. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just keep the Cheby around to do your snow plowing and not tear up the new truck , If you never take it off your property why license it, just pay the annual property property tax and only carry storage insurance on it.

Make that old Chevy like the farm truck it was meant to be when it rolled off the assembly line [ridinghorse]
I have gone in circles over exactly that. The last part you missed is that if I keep the old truck, why do I need a new truck! :ROFLMAO:

I figure the truck and plow is closer to $10k, maybe a bit more coming into the season. All the dealer lots are completely empty around here, truck prices are way up. A neighbor recently paid $61k for a new Toyota 4cyl truck!!!!!!!!!

The simple answer is: I'm old. I want to simplify my life and having one less truck is a part of that. I don't need any extra aggravation in my life like farting around with an extra truck to keep it running. A new truck with a new plow will last the rest of my life, hopefully with minimal aggravation, unless the plow/truck combo itself is a cause of aggravation, hence this thread. :)

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

Annual property tax?? WTF is that?