Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

DR + wheel size advice for street use?

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
So with the WB RE arriving in the next few weeks I'd like to have a plan as far a street set up goes. Not going to the strip, but would like to have something that wont just light em up and embarrass me when some built Mustang or awd import with a garbage can muffler gets frisky. Loving the 18" set up on the Demon and the new Super Stock but with my bigger brakes in the front it would look goofy with 18's rear/20's front (I think). Assuming that's the case just how sticky are the 20" DR's that most people run? Better to just buy some slightly wider replicas with DR's and do that? Or go with smaller wheels and more sidewall...
I did a search and am still trying to decipher all the info. Most people seem to know what theyre after and so I'm trying to even get that far lol.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
For straight ahead use I believe the 18’s on the rear would be the ticket. The 315 Nitto NT05r’s I have on the back with my 11 inch HR5’s certainly are a big help getting the power down but can still break them loose with the M6. Ive also got the DIRS brace back there, and a few other items to improve grip, but I didn't want to sacrifice and lateral performance with a taller, squishy side wall.

OP
Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
For straight ahead use I believe the 18’s on the rear would be the ticket. The 315 Nitto NT05r’s I have on the back with my 11 inch HR5’s certainly are a big help getting the power down but can still break them loose with the M6. Ive also got the DIRS brace back there, and a few other items to improve grip, but I didn't want to sacrifice and lateral performance with a taller, squishy side wall.
Ah, didnt think about the stability loss with taller sidewalls. Hmm. So maybe a hair wider in the rear with some Nitto's mounted would be a good compromise. It's not like I'm going to be racing. Just don't want to get caught out and be sitting there spinning.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Oh I definitely hear ya there, as most other things its a compromise. Just like front skinnys. Save some unsprung weight, but sacrifice turning and braking ability. Others will weigh in. Hardcore go straight guys will say staggered tires, road course guys will say the opposite, square set up with lo profiles on all corners, for the most part. I like both. Its all good.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I loved the 17s on my Charger. Meaty tire and it drove fine.
You’re gonna have to finesse it either way. The 17 might let you use 1st gear on the street. Not sure I’d put a lot of faith in any 18” given the choice.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Ah, didnt think about the stability loss with taller sidewalls. Hmm. So maybe a hair wider in the rear with some Nitto's mounted would be a good compromise. It's not like I'm going to be racing. Just don't want to get caught out and be sitting there spinning.
My idea of a more drag oriented setup would be 18" on the rears like I've seen others running.

If I were only an occasional test n tune type person, just a set of DR's on stock wheels....like 315's or 325's...but you'll still spin if you just hammer it....I would really like a set of custom wheels....maybe 12" wide to mount some 345's on the rear and 315's on the front. 555R's for the rear and 555 Extremes for the front.

Meanwhile....I just hope you didn't order all seasons!!! I have them, and I'm concerned every time I lay into the throttle kinda hard...the all seasons are crap for traction.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Mine came with the all season Pirellis. NG. is putting it mildly. They go back on the car in the off season. My summer tires and rims then reside in the basement until spring.

Last edited:
OP
Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
My idea of a more drag oriented setup would be 18" on the rears like I've seen others running.

If I were only an occasional test n tune type person, just a set of DR's on stock wheels....like 315's or 325's...but you'll still spin if you just hammer it....I would really like a set of custom wheels....maybe 12" wide to mount some 345's on the rear and 315's on the front. 555R's for the rear and 555 Extremes for the front.

Meanwhile....I just hope you didn't order all seasons!!! I have them, and I'm concerned every time I lay into the throttle kinda hard...the all seasons are crap for traction.
So ya - all seasons lol. Was thinking maybe Demon replicas with 345‘s on 18x12-ish in the rear before but what about the front? 18‘s arent going to clear the calipers and it’ll look goofy with the stock 20’s, no? And then what about speedo calibration? Maybe just a set of DR’s on stock wheels would do but i’m kind of getting the itch to practice launching and have a feeling that that car is going to need some sidewall and width to hook, especially not on a prepped surface.
So many questions lol.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I like the idea of Demon replicas with 345‘s on 18x12-ish in the rear. 20’s on the front are not as bad as you may think. They look purposeful to me. I wouldn't swap out our superior 6 piston calipers for Demon 4 pistons ones just to save a few lbs. and the ability to run 18’s. 17’s prob better for traction then though I believe you have to swap out the sway bar end links. Not hard at all, but who needs it?

OP
Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
Ya def not giving up the six pots. And not wanting to start getting into mods other then a sticky tire/wheel setup. Going to need to see a few pics of 18/20’s just to gauge the look.

OP
Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
So why go wider and DR’s in the front anyway? My brain is telling me that would be more rolling resistance.

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger WB M6 Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I have an extra set of WB wheels and had 315 Nitto 555r2's on them and just so awesome for street use. Just make sure Flares ect. are protected.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Pulled from the Weld page. Just do it!

blue-dodge-challenger-redeye-srt-weld-drag-racing-wheels-forged-b.jpg

OP
Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I bought Hellcat reps 20x10.5 and 305 Nitto 555RII for my street set up. For your's I would do the 20x11 with a 315

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
That's hot! Boris I may be wrong so just a question. Did you have a YouTube channel with a Mango HC?
Nope.

I have thought about doing a youtube channel with shit me and my brothers have built but it would be a lot of f-bombs and wrench throwing and entirely too long to complete a project LOL.

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Nope.

I have thought about doing a youtube channel with shit me and my brothers have built but it would be a lot of f-bombs and wrench throwing and entirely too long to complete a project LOL.
That's exactly the Channel I would subscribe to! Do it!

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
That's exactly the Channel I would subscribe to! Do it!
Maybe.

I have 55 chevy 210 on deck and my brother has about 3 chopper projects going on currently.
Pic is a few years old. Getting a rebuild.
55.jpg

My brother's Belvedere. Getting a fairly wild 440 built now. I forget the specs but the goal is easily mid 10s on motor.
Belvedere.jpg

Then the Jet boat.
jb.jpg

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Maybe.

I have 55 chevy 210 on deck and my brother has about 3 chopper projects going on currently.
Pic is a few years old. Getting a rebuild.
View attachment 19618

My brother's Belvedere. Getting a fairly wild 440 built now. I forget the specs but the goal is easily mid 10s on motor.
View attachment 19619

Then the Jet boat.
View attachment 19620
Some good stuff man! Lol @ that boat! Damn! That's whats up!