Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Drag radials moving on rim balancing

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Had my new M/T drag radials mounted and 1 called for 7.00 and the other 5.00 for balancing. I wonder when mounting new tires with a soft sidewall if they should sit for a day or two before balancing anyway so everything can stretch out? Since it is common for the tire to move on the wheels at the drag strip I decided to not balance them. I put them on the car and went for a drive. Let's just say I went fast enough and to my surprise everything felt fine

One thought I had was if there is a bad shake has anyone tried balancing beads? These may be the ideal thing for tires that are moving on the wheels

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I believe that I read on here that some guys just check the rim for balance without a tire and then mount the tire with no further balancing? The tire can also slip on the rim so what does that do to a fine balancing of the wheel and tire?

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
In my opinion; if you are applying that much power to make the tire move on the wheel = beadlocks to the rescue

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
On stock power with tires mounted dry with the rim sanded. My tires move an inch or two then settle. This year I am using balancing beads. Much better.
Next time I mount tires I will have the rims balanced. Then use beads to compensate for tire movement. I always have one rim that takes quite a bit of weight. So I'm hoping balancing the rim first will clear up the vibrations I do have.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
I'm going to mark my tires and see what they do. I had done it many years ago and there was movement. Others have also noted their's were moving

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I wire wheeled the beads on my rims . Then knurled the beads with a small chisel a bit . I had the mounted the tires dry . Then applied hi tack spray . I also let the tires sit for a couple of weeks aired up to 35 psi . They have not moved yet and I have probably 100 passes and a few 1.4 sixty foots .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Resurrecting this one. At MSHS Michigan my new MT ET Street Rs moved over an inch each pass. I didn't notice any vibrations, but that's too much. Went by DT yesterday and they didn't have any bead adhesive but said if I got something they'd apply it. Had a friend recommend 3M 90 and others Permatex High Tack. Gonna try to get it today so I can get them fixed this week and have time for them to set up before Moparty.

Which one?

MXS67454

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tampa
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge
Aerosol hairspray is an old trick that works well....and it cleans up with water.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Resurrecting this one. At MSHS Michigan my new MT ET Street Rs moved over an inch each pass. I didn't notice any vibrations, but that's too much. Went by DT yesterday and they didn't have any bead adhesive but said if I got something they'd apply it. Had a friend recommend 3M 90 and others Permatex High Tack. Gonna try to get it today so I can get them fixed this week and have time for them to set up before Moparty.

Which one?

@Speedy!

You know this isn't my thing, but I've seen others talk about tire/wheel slip being their "fuseable link"...

:unsure:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Moving this much I worry about the tire breaking the bead and being a safety issue.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Moving this much I worry about the tire breaking the bead and being a safety issue.

My vague recollection of other conversations is that they have substantially more movement - excellent chance I'm wrong though.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
@Speedy!

You know this isn't my thing, but I've seen others talk about tire/wheel slip being their "fuseable link"...

:unsure:
I’ve seen that. I don’t believe it. The minuscule “relief” that a tire slipping a inch on the wheel provides is nothing. More than a inch I would consider a issue and I would be concerned about what the unbalanced wheel vibration does to the transmission under a load. When your trans is ruined… who’s to say that’s not what did it. Beadlocks are there for a reason….. 🤨 46F7C3BB-9125-4BFE-8A5F-C0AD8CFA6DC5.jpeg

Last edited:

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Poor sidewall.. it's just begging for mercy. lol

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Poor sidewall.. it's just begging for mercy. lol
Haha. Yeah that’s not what you want. I would bet that resulted in tire shake. You can only imagine what would happen without a beadlock 😬 High power cars end up ruining the sidewall on radials like that and need to change the tires before they wear down to the wear bars. That’s probably what’s going on there.

Last edited:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Asked about balance beads. I tried them and they're hit and miss. You don't know how much weight to put in.
I went back to force balance.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat

Which one?
Beadlocks, maybe not this season but next are highly recommended.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I balance the rim bare, then put the tire on and balance again. If the tire moved on the rim I move the tire balance weight to match the movement of the tire. I have used a few things to keep tire in place from hair spray to 3M77 to just some rubber cement (tire patch stuff) on the bead which works really well as it’s very slippery when wet which allows the tire to fully bead quick which sticky adhesives some times take allot of tire pressure to get them to seat all the way. Use sparingly on the beads, apply with a finger wipe to the tire bead area just before inflating. Only thing is they are sometimes hard to break the bead years later.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I balance the rim bare, then put the tire on and balance again. If the tire moved on the rim I move the tire balance weight to match the movement of the tire. I have used a few things to keep tire in place from hair spray to 3M77 to just some rubber cement (tire patch stuff) on the bead which works really well as it’s very slippery when wet which allows the tire to fully bead quick which sticky adhesives some times take allot of tire pressure to get them to seat all the way. Use sparingly on the beads, apply with a finger wipe to the tire bead area just before inflating. Only thing is they are sometimes hard to break the bead years later.
I would be nervous about gluing the tire on simply because how hard would it be to get off.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I would be nervous about gluing the tire on simply because how hard would it be to get off.
It’s not called poor man’s bead locks for nothin’ lol 😂

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State