Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dumb question for owners that bought a M6 new

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I’m a hard core manual guy since my first car in 1972 but the M6HC has always been a PITA to drive. I installed a 3.90 to make it a bit easier but still. I know GMG installed a lower 1st which is a great idea, but I really don’t want to do a trans job.

Part of the problem is the fly-by-wire throttle, it sometimes has a slight delay so when you hit the throttle and let out the clutch, sometimes the throttle lag combined with the grabby clutch causes a bog and I need to depress the clutch a bit to let it catch up.

Also, the clutch was always very grabby, like Velcro. So if you didn’t have enough throttle when it grabbed you either needed more clutch or you stalled.

Suddenly (it seems) after 2 years and 12k mi, I’d swear that my M6 is much easier to drive! I was driving today and enjoyed the M6 more than at any time in the past! No problems starting off, extremely smooth shifts, it’s just a dream! Like maybe my clutch is finally broken in? (It was 20deg today.)

I would like to hear from you guys that bought a M6 new or replaced a clutch, especially from those with a ’19 or ’20. I am not sure, but I think there was a change at some point. A friend had a ’16 and it had the “elephant” clutch, but my ’20 is completely normal, so I know something big changed.

Thanks for the info and opinions!

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Did you remove the CDV?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
MY16 M6

Swapped in 3.90s

7800 miles

Still occasionally embarrasses me off of line at a normal launch (like say a stop sign)

Other than that, what can I say... 'Still take it over the A8 for anything other than drag racing.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #4
Did you remove the CDV?
No. Never understood the logic on how that would help, not not necessary now.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #5
MY16 M6

Swapped in 3.90s

7800 miles

Still occasionally embarrasses me off of line at a normal launch (like say a stop sign)

Other than that, what can I say... 'Still take it over the A8 for anything other than drag racing.

At that mileage my clutch was still very grabby. I don't know if it is the cold temps or if the clutch is broken in, but it really was a dream to drive today. It was unmistakably more pleasant to drive.

CPRHDSRT

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fork
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HC Challenger
Bought new MY16 has 2900 miles, all stock, no issues but I did swap out the factory fluid for TREMEC high performance fluid which gave it an even more buttery (is that a word) feel.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I’m a hard core manual guy since my first car in 1972 but the M6HC has always been a PITA to drive. I installed a 3.90 to make it a bit easier but still. I know GMG installed a lower 1st which is a great idea, but I really don’t want to do a trans job.

Part of the problem is the fly-by-wire throttle, it sometimes has a slight delay so when you hit the throttle and let out the clutch, sometimes the throttle lag combined with the grabby clutch causes a bog and I need to depress the clutch a bit to let it catch up.

Also, the clutch was always very grabby, like Velcro. So if you didn’t have enough throttle when it grabbed you either needed more clutch or you stalled.

Suddenly (it seems) after 2 years and 12k mi, I’d swear that my M6 is much easier to drive! I was driving today and enjoyed the M6 more than at any time in the past! No problems starting off, extremely smooth shifts, it’s just a dream! Like maybe my clutch is finally broken in? (It was 20deg today.)

I would like to hear from you guys that bought a M6 new or replaced a clutch, especially from those with a ’19 or ’20. I am not sure, but I think there was a change at some point. A friend had a ’16 and it had the “elephant” clutch, but my ’20 is completely normal, so I know something big changed.

I hit 14k on my '16 recently. It does seem easier, now. I figure it's a combination of break-in and my feet/brain adapting to any of the idiosyncrasies.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My biggest problem is that it's not my daily driver.

If it was, I think I'd be much more in tune with it than I am and wouldn't suffer adaptation each time I go from driving the Power Wagon (A6) or the DSRT (A8) to driving a performance, dual-plate clutch.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
My biggest problem is that it's not my daily driver.

If it was, I think I'd be much more in tune with it than I am and wouldn't suffer adaptation each time I go from driving the Power Wagon (A6) or the DSRT (A8) to driving a performance, dual-plate clutch.
Same here;)

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
The only things I could think of would be disc wear but to happen abruptly like a on/off switch is weird and unlike that. The only thing that comes to mind that would be a quick abrupt change would be if one or both of the clutch disc spines was stuck on the trans input shaft spline and finally broke free would be about the only on/off instant change I could think off. Does it feel easier to shift while driving now too? ie not crunchy or hard to get into gear or missing gears before this change happened? Sticking discs on the splines has been a source of clutch issues on these cars. This plagued Multiple disc clutches of many varieties especially those using a fine spline count that has lots of teeth.
Be happy it’s not the other way around!!

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #11
The only things I could think of would be disc wear but to happen abruptly like a on/off switch is weird and unlike that. The only thing that comes to mind that would be a quick abrupt change would be if one or both of the clutch disc spines was stuck on the trans input shaft spline and finally broke free would be about the only on/off instant change I could think off. Does it feel easier to shift while driving now too? ie not crunchy or hard to get into gear or missing gears before this change happened? Sticking discs on the splines has been a source of clutch issues on these cars. This plagued Multiple disc clutches of many varieties especially those using a fine spline count that has lots of teeth.
Be happy it’s not the other way around!!
Sorry if I implied it was a sudden on/off. More like the gabbiness has decreased a lot over the past couple months, at first I wasn't sure but now I am. It is much nicer to drive than it was last spring.

And yes, it is much easier during shifting to let the clutch out smoothly now. Even during spring/summer, I would occasionally let it out more abruptly than intended, not perfect, but yesterday for some reason it felt great, smooth as silk, it really got my attention.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #12
The only gear I had difficulty with is 1st. When it was new, it would be difficult to get it into first, especially at the end of my long driveway where I have to do a 2-1 downshift before pulling out, and many times it felt like it went into first, then would pop out as I let out the clutch. The Barton helped a lot but it still did it occasionally. It slowly wore in and I became more aware to not be occasionally fooled when I felt a first notch and make sure I push more to get it all the way into first. Hasen't done it lately, I'll have to pay more attention now and see if the fake half notch is still there.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Sounds like the clutch was not disengaging fully and disc wear finally gave it some clearance and with the discs being smooth they’re less grabby and engage softer and more predictable feathering them. Glad to hear you like it even better now!! 👍🏻👍🏻

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #14
Thanks. The car was 9mo old when I bought it new in VT Sept '20. It was built in Dec '19 and I think it was exposed to salt spray that winter, there is surface corrosion on the alum under the car. Maybe all that sitting over the winter led to it getting stuck. IMG_5129.JPG IMG_5119.JPG

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
OUCH!! Damn

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks. The car was 9mo old when I bought it new in VT Sept '20. It was built in Dec '19 and I think it was exposed to salt spray that winter, there is surface corrosion on the alum under the car. Maybe all that sitting over the winter led to it getting stuck. View attachment 89643 View attachment 89644
Yea, could be, that’s a pretty lot of guck!!

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger

Wear

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks. The car was 9mo old when I bought it new in VT Sept '20. It was built in Dec '19 and I think it was exposed to salt spray that winter, there is surface corrosion on the alum under the car. Maybe all that sitting over the winter led to it getting stuck. View attachment 89643 View attachment 89644
spray it down with some penetrating oil like Knock-R-Loose and wipe down with a rag. It will look a bit better and stop the corrosion and etching of the aluminum from getting worse.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #19
If this were a pre 1980 car, the leaking oil would have provided a nice protective coating!