Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Engine diaper being required......

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I don’t know if this is going to be a trend but... it’s happening. I registered for the Holley sponsored Moparty at Bowling Green (in conjunction with Challengerfest) and the rules for drag racing at that event is that cars running 9.50 and quicker will be required to have a oil retention device (also known as a diaper). A lot of Hellcats running mid to low 9’s these days. If there are any of those here thinking about this event in September, you might want to consider that. I think they will be enforcing the NHRA safety requirements so you would already need to have a cage, and now one more thing added to that list. 9F674040-C9C9-4FB9-BCB0-4C95510AD1D5.jpeg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I would tie some diapers together and call it good. Another reason why I keep thinking on how fast I want to go. Do not want a cage in the car. My track can be hit or miss saying something if you are in the 9's. I know they have said stuff to some but not others

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm curious to know what this look like...

It seems if you breach the block and spill oil, the last thing you would want to do (with "safety" in mind) would be to retain that oil close to the car and therefor the driver???

I understand not wanting to dump it on the track, but that seems to me like a secondary concern to collecting a hot, flammable liquid by the driver. Get as much of it away from the driver as possible???

What am I missing or not understanding?

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I'm curious to know what this look like...

It seems if you breach the block and spill oil, the last thing you would want to do (with "safety" in mind) would be to retain that oil close to the car and therefor the driver???

I understand not wanting to dump it on the track, but that seems to me like a secondary concern to collecting a hot, flammable liquid by the driver. Get as much of it away from the driver as possible???

What am I missing or not understanding?
Flammable? Probably safer to catch and absorb it vs letting it hit your tires and put you into the wall.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Flammable? Probably safer to catch and absorb it vs letting it hit your tires and put you into the wall.

Not quite the same, but jet on fire, keep or jettison fuel tanks? (Never mind Bold faced eject checklist)

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Not quite the same, but jet on fire, keep or jettison fuel tanks? (Never mind Bold faced eject checklist)
Whether or not I jett the tanks depends on whether or not I need to reduce my gross weight and/or drag.

I'm just saying, I don't see engine oil catching fire if contained by a diaper.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Whether or not I jett the tanks depends on whether or not I need to reduce my gross weight and/or drag.

I'm just saying, I don't see engine oil catching fire...

Oh dude!

Hot oil spraying all over Hellcat engines is a KNOWN recall... (oil cooler line failure)

Hot oil burns like a MFer!

But, my point is that I'd rather have that volume flash off than be contained and burning...

Or at least I THINK I would, hence my question above...

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Oh dude!

Hot oil spraying all over Hellcat engines is a KNOWN recall... (oil cooler line failure)

Hot oil burns like a MFer!

But, my point is that I'd rather have that volume flash off than be contained and burning...

Or at least I THINK I would, hence my question above...
I'll edit my earlier post because it sounds dumb without context haha. I meant, it obviously will if it gets on something hot enough like the exhaust but the diaper would contain it, right?

Guess I should leave it to the guys that are at the track all the time to discuss...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I'll edit my earlier post because it sounds dumb without context haha. I meant, it obviously will if it gets on something hot enough like the exhaust but the diaper would contain it, right?

Guess I should leave it to the guys that are at the track all the time to discuss...

Ultimately I guess someone weighed the risks for the scenarios and decided the diaper was the way to go, but it seems strange to me.

Also seems like a thermal barrier where you don't want one, oil leaks aside.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Both Engine diaper or Belly pan is acceptable.

Around 10 years ago we were "Racing for the 8s" in the MSHS series. The use of an engine diaper came up then and also a Trans blanket. There were always those guys that didn't want or think they needed the proper saftey equipment.
There was a a Charger known as the "Blue Bee"
It was 1st in to the 8s ( Pushed by my "Pink car";) and it was 1st to hit the wall, caused by the oil spilling onto the track.
That shook up many and then "engine diapers" were used and also is a PITA because you can not Daily Drive with it on.

Linda :)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

Around 10 years ago we were "Racing for the 8s" in the MSHS series. The use of an engine diaper came up then and also a Trans blanket. There were always those guys that didn't want or think they needed the proper saftey equipment.
It was 1st in to the 8s ( Pushed by my "Pink car";) and it was 1st to hit the wall, caused by the oil spilling onto the track.
That shook up many and then "engine diapers" were used and also is a PITA because you can not Daily Drive with it on.

Is oil on the track the extent of the mentality?

Have they been proven effective?

Aside from not DDing with it, any other significant downsides while racing?

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
They are effective and many times it's just not an oil leak it can also capture debre from engine failure.

Some racers who have race only cars may get lazy and not check the diaper. It could show a small leak that if seen could help with an easy repair vs a blown engine.

Also, Kevlar material is used on some engine diapers which is fire and heat resistant.

Screenshot_20210531-014028_Chrome.jpg

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #13
Good questions 🤔. There are absorbent pads lining the inside of the diaper. This is supposed to contain the oil so the majority of it doesn’t leave the bag. The headers are what is going to ignite oil escaping from the block and these are designed to keep the oil away from the headers. I think the number one reason for this starting to be enforced though is keeping oil off the track. Venting the block will put oil on the track and if this happens down track at speed, the car will likely be in its own oil the instant it happens. Obviously a crash is possible. There is also the down time that haunts drag racing when clean up is necessary. The one I ended up with is also “ballistic”. It will contain the hard parts that might escape. I honestly do not know if one of these would be better or worse with the fire scenario. I’m going to guess keeping it in absorbent material inside the bag vs running over the headers into a spreading pool under the car would be better. I hope I never find out!

Last edited:
OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #14
I’ve been hearing questions about it possibly being required to have one of these for a while now. I have a feeling that it is more about controlling down time than anything else. The Moparty event is the first one where I’ve seen it in place. They also state that the NHRA tech rules will be enforced so this is a event sponsor required thing. I know Beach Bend under normal circumstances doesn’t do that because Speedy is out there running 9’s 🤔.

Last edited:
OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #15
While on the subject..... the NHRA rules that are supposed to be enforced when you run nines, also includes SFI explosion proof shields for the trans and bell housing. Earlier this year one of the built Demons had a trans explosion that was so violent, it set off the airbags at 160 mph. We’re starting to get into a area with these cars that is no joke.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
While on the subject..... the NHRA rules that are supposed to be enforced when you run nines, also includes SFI explosion proof shields for the trans and bell housing. Earlier this year one of the built Demons had a trans explosion that was so violent, it set off the airbags at 160 mph. We’re starting to get into a area with these cars that is no joke.
Yes, many of these cars these days are well past the point of needing the various safety items in them. There is nothing at all unreasonable about requiring a diaper on a 4500 lb 9 second car.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
If you're going to compete in Moparty outside of just having some fun runs, then pay close attention to their rules. Last year I believe the guy that won the Hellcat class was DQ'd for running faster than 10.0 without a cage. I'm not sure how that happened as he'd have had to pass tech to get on the track, but is what it is and a shame to compete all day and win only to be DQ'd for something.

Holley brings in their own team to manage tech and the track at Moparty. It isn't the Beech Bend staff. Lonnie is Holley's main tech guy, good dude and seems to know his stuff.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

I'd wager there are more folks on here daily driving in a diaper than you'd think

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
This. 15 or 20 years ago these cars would have been incredible and generally performing in the realm only modified near race cars could reach. Bc it comes out of the factory and has a three point belt and AC doesn't change the actual performance and safety requirements in my opinion.

And on the other topic anything that speeds up the.process and lessens dead time standing g around d doing nothing while track messes are cleaned up is a winner for me.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Yes, many of these cars these days are well past the point of needing the various safety items in them. There is nothing at all unreasonable about requiring a diaper on a 4500 lb 9 second car.
Yes and no. How often have you seen 9 second cars oil the track? I see way more coolant or rear end fluid then oil on the track from an engine letting go. It's all about safety but doesn't happen very often.
My friend Tim made a pan for under his 8 second car because he is running some events