Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Exterior trunk release button

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Just a PSA, the exterior trunk release button on my son's '17 Daytona collapsed into its hole so we pulled the taillight assembly out to fix it. The metal bracket was so rusted it disintegrated in my hand! Although it is parked outside now, the car was garaged the whole time I owned it (up until May of '20) and has only been driven in 1 winter so far. Pretty disappointed that an exterior part designed to be in the elements failed when the car is only 4 years old and hasn't seen much snow. To top it off, it appears the button can't be purchased separately even though it is totally removable. I can only find the entire trunk light assembly for about $400! If anyone has any ideas or I'm wrong I'd love to hear it. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else or start becoming a common failure. Haven't heard of this happening to anyone else's car here.
20211111_172702.jpg 20211111_173009.jpg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I wondering if it isn't suppose to get wet? You took the tail lights assembly off the trunk? My thought is to find one used maybe even broke you could take that off of

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
OP
Piening2150

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Thread Starter #4
I wondering if it isn't suppose to get wet? You took the tail lights assembly off the trunk? My thought is to find one used maybe even broke you could take that off of
That's what we'll be trying to do. There is no gasket or seal to keep moisture out of the button cavity which is not a good design. The design also prevents you from jamming something behind the switch to keep it pushed forward since that just presses the button.

OP
Piening2150

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Thread Starter #5

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
@DodgeCares

Hey tell Engineering to get it together...

You know, quality control or some such nonsense...

; )

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Dumbshit me didn't even know about the button for the first 2 years I owned mine. LOL

OP
Piening2150

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Thread Starter #8
If your switch is still operational. I would probably just go to the local sheet metal or HVAC shop and have them fold a new bracket out of stainless steel. Just bring the dimensions how you want it folded. Maybe you can revive the switch with some LPS 2 spray and protect it some from the moisture. Before the holidays they are pretty slow and might give you a break on the price if their guys are just standing around,
Good suggestion! My BIL does HVAC, I know they have a water jet machine too. Worth a shot.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
A little salt water on carbon sheet metal is a bad recipe. they should have made it in stainless.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Just a PSA, the exterior trunk release button on my son's '17 Daytona collapsed into its hole so we pulled the taillight assembly out to fix it. The metal bracket was so rusted it disintegrated in my hand! Although it is parked outside now, the car was garaged the whole time I owned it (up until May of '20) and has only been driven in 1 winter so far. Pretty disappointed that an exterior part designed to be in the elements failed when the car is only 4 years old and hasn't seen much snow. To top it off, it appears the button can't be purchased separately even though it is totally removable. I can only find the entire trunk light assembly for about $400! If anyone has any ideas or I'm wrong I'd love to hear it. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else or start becoming a common failure. Haven't heard of this happening to anyone else's car here.
View attachment 57635 View attachment 57636
Damn, that is bad, looks like it's been sitting in salt water.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Salt water based which is the mother to dehunmidificatiion,,,, is performrmed with Sch 80 PV. I think the dead givaway is of the rust and corrision. Water intruscion and sitting still/ A bit of water shield woul work just fine/