Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ford Wants To Sell You Cars Online

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #41
Mine was a 2008.....and it wouldn't surprise me. Seems that lots of wiring these days has a soy based covering, which also seems to be attractive to rodents.
That series of E classes weren't very good. 2001 and back were the goodies in my opinion.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
That series of E classes weren't very good. 2001 and back were the goodies in my opinion.
Oh sure.....

make me feel worse why dontcha'

:p

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Mine was a 2008.....and it wouldn't surprise me. Seems that lots of wiring these days has a soy based covering, which also seems to be attractive to rodents.
Infiniti's have that same problem, ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
My 2001 S class was a tank. Rear ended by f150. F250 immobilized. One tail light cracked and small dent in trunk for me.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #45
My 2001 S class was a tank. Rear ended by f150. F250 immobilized. One tail light cracked and small dent in trunk for me.
The 2001 that we had I had to replace the taillights because they went bad and it kept rusting out around the sunroof. After 2 repairs I just let it go. Other than that it was a tank.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Agreed.

My Benz had a certain electrical issue that the dealer never could fix (there's no code)......so they just kept shotgunning the same part in and after the 4th one I told them to "find" the problem. Of course...they couldn't. And after the 8th time of replacing the same part and telling me that the car was about to be out of warranty, and that I would have to pay out of pocket for future repairs, I told them "watch and see".

I called Mercedes Lack of Customer Service Dept. and got nowhere, so I fixed the problem myself......by trading the car in.

My 2014 Ram had electrical problems too. Fixed that problem the same way after 7 times to the dealership and shotgunning the same part over and over.

My Challenger kept getting that Uconnect death screen. There's another one that I "fixed" after several times.
Do you by chance park your cars outside during a storm with the windows down?

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Only thing I ever rode German was several women. It was a hell of a ride each time. ;)

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
The 2001 that we had I had to replace the taillights because they went bad and it kept rusting out around the sunroof. After 2 repairs I just let it go. Other than that it was a tank.
I guess it's good I didn't make Florida my final stop. I freak out over a little dust. You guys do have a Governor that is the boss.

Attachments

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Do you by chance park your cars outside during a storm with the windows down?
No....but I would've if it would've fixed those problems.

It seems that automotive "technicians" these days can't troubleshoot problems anymore. It seems that they can only plug the scanner in and do what it tells them and if it's not labeled out there for them to do, then they don't know what to do next.

If there isn't a "code" they don't have any idea of how the system is supposed to work and then try narrowing down the problem. I saw the same thing in aviation with the newer techs when they tried working on the "vintage" aircraft. They'd replace the same part 4 times and wonder why the aircraft wasn't fixed. They had no idea how to check wiring, use a multimeter for anything other than a voltage reading, read a system schematic and split the system in half and isolate what was/wasn't happening. They just kept throwing the same part at it.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Only thing I ever rode German was several women. It was a hell of a ride each time. ;)
Oh Schatzi!!!

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #51
I guess it's good I didn't make Florida my final stop. I freak out over a little dust. You guys do have a Governor that is the boss.
You're good in florida just don't live at the beach. I won't even drive the good cars to the beach because they get covered in salt and sand.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #52
I'm married to one.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB

It seems that automotive "technicians" these days can't troubleshoot problems anymore. It seems that they can only plug the scanner in and do what it tells them and if it's not labeled out there for them to do, then they don't know what to do next.

If there isn't a "code" they don't have any idea of how the system is supposed to work and then try narrowing down the problem. I saw the same thing in aviation with the newer techs when they tried working on the "vintage" aircraft. They'd replace the same part 4 times and wonder why the aircraft wasn't fixed. They had no idea how to check wiring, use a multimeter for anything other than a voltage reading, read a system schematic and split the system in half and isolate what was/wasn't happening. They just kept throwing the same part at it.
Kind of like doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. It’s the way they’re trained. Maybe they should You Tube it. 🙄 seems that’s their answer to everything.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer

I understand. Just bustin your balls a little.

But I did do one of those "tech" schools when I didn't want to finish my regular college degree. Let's just say the choice for most of them was Army or Tech school and the Army wasn't interested.

The electronics classes had various degrees of breadboards to diagnose where shorts etc were at. Fucking half the class struggled with some of the basic problems. I had the hardest ones figured out the first day they let us use them.

There are some good ones out there. Most won't cut it.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I had a E320 diesel and that thing had low end grunt like a tank. Many people were surprised when they got jumped by a Benz at a light.

I liked the car overall but that damned electrical issue drove me nuts, and the fact that neither Mercedes nor the dealer seemed to be interested in doing anything other than replacing the same component time after time drove me to my end.
The final kicker for me was when the cps sensor went bad on the highway leaving me stranded, after that no out of warranty german cars for me.

The electrical issues were plenty, alternator was replaced, main battery, secondary battery, etc etc

That thing was a tank tho, my parents hit a deer at 50 mph when the e55 was relatively new and thought they were gonna need a new bumper, they parked it at the hotel overnight and came out to the car have scuff marks near the underside of the bumper, ez $200 paint job and the car looked like nothing happened to it.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
We used the 6 cylinder ones for daily drivers and business. We would run them all to 200K miles.
Very low maintenance costs, good drivers and comfortable.
Never had any issues with the engine or trans, though the 63 N/A amgs had head bolt issues, all the issues had to do with the supporting parts like the cps, battery, alternator, engine/trans mounts, etc etc

Oh and carrying a quart of oil because occasionally the add oil light came on. Can't believe they had no dipsticks back in those E classes 🤣

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #57
Never had any issues with the engine or trans, though the 63 N/A amgs had head bolt issues, all the issues had to do with the supporting parts like the cps, battery, alternator, engine/trans mounts, etc etc
Only bought ones with the AMG Sport pkg. EZ peezy maintenance.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I especially liked the weatherband radio in the S

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I understand. Just bustin your balls a little.

But I did do one of those "tech" schools when I didn't want to finish my regular college degree. Let's just say the choice for most of them was Army or Tech school and the Army wasn't interested.

The electronics classes had various degrees of breadboards to diagnose where shorts etc were at. Fucking half the class struggled with some of the basic problems. I had the hardest ones figured out the first day they let us use them.

There are some good ones out there. Most won't cut it.
I figured.

I'm a veteran of repeated ball bustings :p:p