Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ford Won't Give "Unauthorized Tuners" Access To 2024 Mustang

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Who cares...a few more styling changes and it will be well on it's way to replicating the pudgy 99 Mustang...
It's 1 of the few remaining V8 ice cars available right now.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
It's 1 of the few remaining V8 ice cars available right now.
This is why the cars in your garage are not losing their value.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
Very true. Exactly opposite from last time this happened.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
So now we are seeing the problem with cars becoming more and more like computers and cell phones. What's really scary is the amount of access people knowingly and unknowingly give on their cell phones which they have with them all the time and probably do a lot of their banking and other financial activities with. I personally don't see a problem with this from Ford as long as they still allow aftermarket tuning with the proper equipment.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
It's a nice perk to what were faced with today...my one viper I've had for 25 years...and from day one...I've never been concerned with what my cars or bikes will be worth to the next guy...;)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Very true. Exactly opposite from last time this happened.
Yup..late 70's used..Cuda's.Challengers..RR's Chargers....all for under 2 grand..

Blown7

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Woodstock
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Trackhawk
The SRT engineers said the same thing in 2007.
As long as a chip is used the aftermarket will find a back door in to tune.
It may take a while..but it will happen.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
And now Apple wants to build cars? I don’t think there’ll be a Genius Bar good (or big) enough to take care of that hot mess.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I wonder what sort of unauthorized tuners have had access all along. How many of these guys are actually authorized? I’m thinking Roush, Saleen, and the like are authorized but beyond that…. Not sure who they are going to try to limit.

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
10,R/T12YJKT,15SPS,16 HC,19RE,22 S/S
Whipple is in that group but, if you get one of their blower kits it's locked to the box tune that came with it. So if squeezing every bit out is your game, you may have some issues dialing it in.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
The SRT engineers said the same thing in 2007.
As long as a chip is used the aftermarket will find a back door in to tune.
It may take a while..but it will happen.
I disagree... There is a point at which commercially available computing power will not be practical to attack the entire architecture encryption by brute force attack. If Ford was smart - for example, each vehicle has its own encryption key. If they were stupid (like SRT with the remote fob theft issue), possibly.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whipple is in that group but, if you get one of their blower kits it's locked to the box tune that came with it. So if squeezing every bit out is your game, you may have some issues dialing it in.
Exactly. This is about security (like they said). So joe blow with his street corner tuning will be out - what will get the pass are long term, verified businesses, credentialed and without a history of flouting laws.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Exactly. This is about security (like they said). So joe blow with his street corner tuning will be out - what will get the pass are long term, verified businesses, credentialed and without a history of flouting laws.
Chevy said the same with the E99 deal. While it has been cracked to a point, its still a real pain in the ass.
And they said they will pick the winners and losers. To my knowledge, they haven't picked any winners. Maybe Calloway?

At this point, just buy an aftermarket ECU and have at it. When those giant screens on the mustang take a shit, people will swap in a Holley/Fuel Tech etc and keep on trucking.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Chevy said the same with the E99 deal. While it has been cracked to a point, its still a real pain in the ass.
And they said they will pick the winners and losers. To my knowledge, they haven't picked any winners. Maybe Calloway?

At this point, just buy an aftermarket ECU and have at it. When those giant screens on the mustang take a shit, people will swap in a Holley/Fuel Tech etc and keep on trucking.
It's about avoiding liability. If a crash happens bc someone hacked the cars systems, the lawsuit will name Ford as a defendant. Corporate doesn't care about the rest. Legal liability is driving every bit of this.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
It's about avoiding liability. If a crash happens bc someone hacked the cars systems, the lawsuit will name Ford as a defendant. Corporate doesn't care about the rest. Legal liability is driving every bit of this.
Then an expert like me will write an opinion that Ford is innocent because the owner modified the vehicle purposely without authorization from Ford. Done, argue with me.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Won't stand up in court. The encryption is to prevent folks taking control of the cars systems remotely and causing it to do things injurious to the owner / passengers. Has nothing to do w what the owner is doing. Bulk of cars are never modifies at all, this is not directed at the tuning market (which is tiny in any case compared to the auto market as a whole anyway). Tuners are only a secondary effect of the need for security for the cars OEM integrated systems. The fact that OEM is even working w aftermarket at all to insure some access for trusted tuners is pretty considerate as they get nothing out of that really.

Hope that helps a little. It's not about the aftermarket at all, it's about the danger of hacked integrated systems in the cars; impact.to tuners is purely secondary.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Won't stand up in court. The encryption is to prevent folks taking control of the cars systems remotely and causing it to do things injurious to the owner / passengers. Has nothing to do w what the owner is doing. Bulk of cars are never modifies at all, this is not directed at the tuning market (which is tiny in any case compared to the auto market as a whole anyway). Tuners are only a secondary effect of the need for security for the cars OEM integrated systems. The fact that OEM is even working w aftermarket at all to insure some access for trusted tuners is pretty considerate as they get nothing out of that really.

Hope that helps a little. It's not about the aftermarket at all, it's about the danger of hacked integrated systems in the cars; impact.to tuners is purely secondary.
You are not the first attorney who is wrong. I would gladly consult for the defense (Ford).

You frosted yourself quickly …”The encryption is to prevent folks taking control of the cars systems remotely and causing it to do things injurious to the owner / passengers”

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'm just laying out ford's (and other manufacturers) concerns which are driving the changes, not saying whether I agree w them or not. This is all progressing toward the end point, being a secure integrated whole car system that is as safe as can be possible against remotely taking over the car and killing folks.

If you feel that is not what is causing companies to do this (all major manufacturers have similar programs) please share what you think that is? There are other areas this benefits companies as well, but the key driver is, as always, the potential liabilities.