Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Garage Interior Wall Paint

1971demon

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I do hate it with a passion. I bought one of these for my next project just so I don't have to pick up a brush or roller.

Not this exact model
View attachment 38184
Funny I find it relaxing...when I have to do it...(every nine years)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
OP
A

AeroF16

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #23
Damn, you do nice work for an Air Force pilot.
Ha good enough! Here are the before pics. I had just put down the new floor, the rest still needed work...
20180118_222005.jpg

OP
A

AeroF16

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #24
Funny I find it relaxing...when I have to do it...(every nine years)
I always drink beer while I paint. I get a lot done but have to wake up the next day and touch some spots up hahaha.

1971demon

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

1971demon

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Relaxing like bamboo shoots under my fingernails...
Not close...Iv'e had the equivalent done...even morphine didn't help...painting is painless

OP
A

AeroF16

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #27
Wow...what an amazing transformation...(y)
Thanks, it turned out pretty good for what we were going for. That real estate market was strange, you could either buy a $200k fixer upper or a $400k+ house that wasn't very impressive. We chose the fixer upper. You gotta be careful not to price yourself out of the market though putting money into a house. We bought that one for $220 and sold for $275k 3.5 years later.

That was a 1900 sq ft house though. Now I have a 3400 sq ft house and the wife wants me to do the same. Not looking forward to it. I told myself I'd never paint cabinets again but I am pretty sure I will paint the ones in my current house. That backsplash was glass tile, I'll probably never do that again. Lots of glass splinters.

1971demon

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thanks, it turned out pretty good for what we were going for. That real estate market was strange, you could either buy a $200k fixer upper or a $400k+ house that wasn't very impressive. We chose the fixer upper. You gotta be careful not to price yourself out of the market though putting money into a house. We bought that one for $220 and sold for $275k 3.5 years later.

That was a 1900 sq ft house though. Now I have a 3400 sq ft house and the wife wants me to do the same. Not looking forward to it. I told myself I'd never paint cabinets again but I am pretty sure I will paint the ones in my current house. That backsplash was glass tile, I'll probably never do that again. Lots of glass splinters.
Nice return for 3.5 years...had a total make over of our kitchen done 8 years ago...awesome craftsman...but crazy expensive...I can paint flat walls...that's it..

OP
A

AeroF16

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #29
This was all Behr Marquee (one coat) paint. Cut the first coat in, let it dry, then rolled a second coat lightly without cutting it in to touch up some spots. Turned out great and only like 1.5 gallons of paint.

Basement.jpg

OP
A

AeroF16

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #30
Nice return for 3.5 years...had a total make over of our kitchen done 8 years ago...awesome craftsman...but crazy expensive...I can paint flat walls...that's it..
That labor in Northern MN was crazy expensive too...which was the only reason I decided to do it myself. Even after buying tools/equipment/material, I could do it for about 1/3rd the quote price from a contractor. Saved a ton of money that way but spent a lot of time doing it.

1971demon

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
That labor in Northern MN was crazy expensive too...which was the only reason I decided to do it myself. Even after buying tools/equipment/material, I could do it for about 1/3rd the quote price from a contractor. Saved a ton of money that way but spent a lot of time doing it.
I get it...I have neither the patience..or the expertise....alot of my friends have done it...way above my pay grade though..

1971demon

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
This was all Behr Marquee (one coat) paint. Cut the first coat in, let it dry, then rolled a second coat lightly without cutting it in to touch up some spots. Turned out great and only like 1.5 gallons of paint.

View attachment 38191
great color contrast...very nice indeed

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle

View attachment 38191

**** you!!! You did not put paint on all of that square footage and only use 1.5gals of paint!

**** you!
**** you!
**** you!
**** you!
**** you!
**** you!

Wait for it...

**** you!

pant pant pant....

**** you!

:(

;)

OP
A

AeroF16

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #34
**** you!!! You did not put paint on all of that square footage and only use 1.5gals of paint!

**** you!
**** you!
**** you!
**** you!
**** you!
**** you!

Wait for it...

**** you!

pant pant pant....

**** you!

:(

;)
You got me. It might have been 2 gallons...

For the dark gray color that is.

Speedy!

2000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Here's what I did. Less worried about paint brand other than good quality. Think about light reflection and clean up. Red takes a TON of coats :)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Here's what I did. Less worried about paint brand other than good quality. Think about light reflection and clean up. Red takes a TON of coats :)

I was going to tag you into the thread and reference your garage, but you beat me to it.

Magnified

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC
OP,

Two of my companies do construction and remodeling. I recommend looking at Consumer Reports and checking out their paint ratings and buying guide (I always read the details / testing log). Pick the best for your usage and desired cost. They test yearly and I have seen paints that performed well one year tank the next. Assuming that it is the manufacturer changing base suppliers (probably all Chinese) and getting shitty materials. It's not the brand that matters, in my experience no one manufacturer has the best product in every category.

Last edited:
OP
A

AeroF16

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #38
OP,

Two of my companies do construction and remodeling. I recommend looking at Consumer Reports and checking out their paint ratings and buying guide (I always read the details / testing log). Pick the best for your usage and desired cost. They test yearly and I have seen paints that performed well one year tank the next. Assuming that it is the manufacturer changing base suppliers (probably all Chinese) and getting shitting materials. It's not the brand that matters, in my experience no one manufacturer has the best product in every category.
Thanks for the input. I usually double check CR for most things (though some things they are a little out of touch on, IMO).

Just checked them online - seems that they agree that Behr is the top paint right now, with HGTV taking up the 2nd place spot and Benjamin Moore following up. I used both Benjamin Moore and Behr quite a bit over the past few years. For interior walls, I think Behr is the best. Easy to apply, only takes 2 (though they claim 1) coat w/ no priming, and it's $40/gal.

I tried the very expensive Benjamin Moore interior paint (think it was $80 or $90/gal) because I thought, if this stuff is this expensive, it must be amazing! It was good paint but it just prices itself out of the market when it's twice as much as Behr. Benjamin Moore had most of the colors we liked but HD was able to mix those colors in Behr paint no problem.

I will say some products work better than others for different applications. For example, Benjamin Moore Advanced is great for cabinets and others areas you may not want brush marks. It has a long dry time but it's self level properties are pretty amazing - worth paying for.

Jack_Toepfer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Does the product choice have any impact on how you may be applying it?
I have a Wagner power roller, and I was looking at the Wagner Power Tank... some people said they need to dilute their paint before they can push it through the sprayer...
Any experience there?

OP
A

AeroF16

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #40
Does the product choice have any impact on how you may be applying it?
I have a Wagner power roller, and I was looking at the Wagner Power Tank... some people said they need to dilute their paint before they can push it through the sprayer...
Any experience there?
It should be fine for most paints. Just look on the label of the paint, I think I remember seeing recommended nozzle sizes and pressures on the label but it's been a while. You could always thin it with a product like flowatrol which also tends to help with the self leveling.

I spray some stuff but haven't sprayed interior walls. It's tough to contain overspray (it somehow gets everywhere) and I think most painters have someone spray with someone back rolling behind them anyway to help hide the spray pattern marks. And, depending on how much paint the tank will hold, you might find yourself refilling it way more often than you'd like.

For me, I can cut in a wall and roll it pretty quick. I don't use painters tape anymore either (except for very few situations). I find it's faster and less frustrating to just take my time cutting in the wall. I cut in like 5 feet, then roll it, cut in another 5 feet, then roll, etc and it works pretty well. Basically, I don't want the paint from where I cut in with a brush to start drying before I hit it with a roller while rolling that section of the wall, or it will start pulling that drying paint up and make a mess.