Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Gen 5 whipple supercharger

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
It is rumored that the drag pak is going to have a governor because it will go quicker than 7.50 out of the gate. I don't think the cubes mean shit anymore, the blower on the drag pak just works, efficient boost is the key, cubes is a thing of the past

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Where did you see that time Cole? That's phenomenal.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just a rumor, however, I tend to believe it given that a dyno pull was posted and the drag pak motor made over 1,800 HP at 9,000 rpm. I do believe when they were advertised by Dodge it also stated 7's out of the gate. We will see in a couple of weeks.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
That's what I've been thinking. If the stock engines in these things are good for 850 - 900rwhp, this 3.0L Whipple is likely over kill. People like me who've had "an event" have a different perspective LOL.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
That's what I've been thinking. If the stock engines in these things are good for 850 - 900rwhp, this 3.0L Whipple is likely over kill. People like me who've had "an event" have a different perspective LOL.
Curt and I had a brief talk about upgrading blowers.

Came to the conclusion that at least drop-ins should go first beforehand...or some sort of motor. If not you really won't be able to use the potential.

Those that have experienced a failure of motor/blower or both like you said...likely already have the foundation in place to make the next step.

DMNkilr

Founding Member
Premium Account
Doctor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Highlands Ranch
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
Just a rumor, however, I tend to believe it given that a dyno pull was posted and the drag pak motor made over 1,800 HP at 9,000 rpm. I do believe when they were advertised by Dodge it also stated 7's out of the gate. We will see in a couple of weeks.
I had the pleasure of pitting next to a Drag Pack at the legion of Demons in Houston. It's a really nice ride, and was brand new to the owner, so he was just getting used to it. Pretty strong but has at least a little ways to go to be 1800 HP and 7's kind of strong

Skip the first half of the video, (I'll work on my editing skills) was 8.80 can't remember the mph

https://youtu.be/qL1181o2m2k

Attachments

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
AAF45C62-B71D-4205-A879-9CC5C999A350.jpeg 5932B5B4-74AE-439F-B6D0-86412923D89C.jpeg That’s the old one. New one is a completely different animal.

DMNkilr

Founding Member
Premium Account
Doctor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Highlands Ranch
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
A couple things to know about the new 3.0 Whipple ready to hit the market. 1..... don’t confuse it with the 3.0 DragPak version. There are obviously some differences. The plenum volume on the old 4.5 was extremely compromised (as is performance) in order to fit under the stock hood. That was a marketing decision that was made because it’s hard to sell something that requires you cut or replace the stock hood on the car. Looking at the DragPak version it looks big. Comparing the pictures of those with the ones just released of the new street version, it looks like the volume under the lid may have been reduced some as well. The shape is different and the IC plumbing is different. So basically..... I wouldn’t expect the street 3.0 being released now to have the capabilities of that DragPak (it will fit under the hood however). Inquires by myself and others about using the DragPak 3.0 on our Hellcats ended up with us being told that it can not be done using the OE electronics. The throttle body is manual and a stand alone tuner (Holly EFI) needs to replace the PCM. Personally, I think this new Whipple will doom the modded IHI as the choice for increased performance over stock. Time to sell those while they’re still worth something 😂 27C8E8A4-FFFB-432E-872A-5F9F3C4DEB7F.jpeg 80EFBD6A-E219-449C-9C01-6EB4EA1F1231.jpeg

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
This is what Lethal Performance states

• Over 300HP capacity over Hellaphant 3.0L Supercharger
  • Over 500hp capacity over Hellcat 2.4L supercharger
  • Expensive porting not required to make power
  • Massive, dual pass, dual core intercooler technology for twice the cooling area of any other PD SC for 6.2L
  • Inverted design allows for oversized intercooler, each core is 2.125” thick, dual pass = 4.25” thick core
  • Dual in, dual out intercooler for increased water flow
  • 112mm opening for compatibility with stock TB, 102mm, 105mm and Whipple’s 112mm
  • Billet rotors far superior to cast rotors for high rpm operation
  • ¾ rotor vs 3/5, 33% lower male rotor speed
  • Superior profile with shorter leak path
  • Thrust retaining system for better bearing support
  • Massive air inlet for high flow (porting not required to get power)
  • Optional high flow cold air system
  • Fits stock fuel rail, stock injectors or billet Whipple -8 rails
  • Works with stock belt system and optional balancer options
  • Works with electronic bypass control
  • Works with stock TMAP sensors
  • New over bearing 5-bolt supercharger pulleys
  • Billet bearing plate and oil cover
  • Custom colors available
My stock 2.4 blower makes about 880/900 to the wheels on boost, based on the above, this equates to almost 1,400 at the wheel at 7,000 rpm. Now if I could spin the motor to 9,500 rpm or higher like the drag pak can do, what is the HP? It appears to be very similar to the drag pak performance,

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I just saw a post on Instagram of one of the DragPak 3.0 superchargers being installed. It does not fit under the stock Hellcat hood. They were cutting the underside of the hood in the rear to make room. The new street 3.0 about to hit the market is certainly compromised in volume up top to make it work under the hood. So one shouldn’t hope for the DragPak level of performance out of the street version. Whipple has already stated that the new 3.8 when it comes out is just for big stroker motors looking for max hp. There’s no way that description is fitting under the stock hood!

Hemituner

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bayshore
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
I just saw a post on Instagram of one of the DragPak 3.0 superchargers being installed. It does not fit under the stock Hellcat hood. They were cutting the underside of the hood in the rear to make room. The new street 3.0 about to hit the market is certainly compromised in volume up top to make it work under the hood. So one shouldn’t hope for the DragPak level of performance out of the street version. Whipple has already stated that the new 3.8 when it comes out is just for big stroker motors looking for max hp. There’s no way that description is fitting under the stock hood!
The Dragpak 3.0 will fit under a Hellcat Hood with mods. The DP 3.0 realistically has the capacity for just under 2000 HP out of the box. The 3.8 will be more around 2500HP worth of airflow. I can tell you that the difference between the IHI 2.7 and the Whipple 3.0 was roughly 200 WHP and about 7.5 lbs more boost. The production Whipple 3.0 indeed has the same rotor group as the race blower I fully expect to crack the 1100 WHP range on a 6.2 pretty easily in the Demon.
Hope this helps
AJ

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
The Dragpak 3.0 will fit under a Hellcat Hood with mods. The DP 3.0 realistically has the capacity for just under 2000 HP out of the box. The 3.8 will be more around 2500HP worth of airflow. I can tell you that the difference between the IHI 2.7 and the Whipple 3.0 was roughly 200 WHP and about 7.5 lbs more boost. The production Whipple 3.0 indeed has the same rotor group as the race blower I fully expect to crack the 1100 WHP range on a 6.2 pretty easily in the Demon.
Hope this helps
AJ
Sounds great, thanks for the additional details. Too bad Edelbrock never joined with their 2.65 unit, the more the merrier. The Whipple 3.0 and Edelbrock 2.65 appear to be competitive, at least in the Mustang community.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hope this helps
AJ
AJ,

Thanks for the information, however, that is not what Lethal is claiming, as I posted what they claim. There seems to be a big disparity, 1,400 v. 1,000 WHP. Any comment? Or will it be revealed at the track?

Edit, it is not clear whether Lethal is saying BHP or WHP, so hmmm. In addition, at what rpm are these numbers referencing?

Last edited:

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
AJ,

Help clear up some of my confusion.

1. The 3.0 whipple you are selling right now, is that the DP 3.0?

2. Have heard the 3.0 comes in two different verisions...street (will fit under the hood) and race (might not fit under the hood). Can you confirm? Or is there such a thing, street and race for the 3.0?

As with all new products, so much misinformation out.

Thank you,
Colby

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
The drap pak is shifting over 10,000 RPM, way over, the blower is designed to produce boost at those RPMs, the "street" blower is designed for the lower rpm and, IMO, makes more HP below 6,500 rpm.

Last edited:

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I'll be watching and waiting and let all the dust settle before I decide if I want to dabble.

Needs guys to figure out belt sizes for different applications, what pulley combos make what boost, can you fit it with spacers, are there any other install bugs.
There is always "something" going on.

I'd do a 3.0L with a 112 if it came down to it.

And yes, if you have a stock bottom, I'd say don't bother, can't really take advantage of it in my opinion.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I’m drinking the ripple myself I’ve already placed my order for the hellcat version and @Hemituner is going to tune this new set up 6,000 is a steal in my opinion,I believe the 3.0 is all we will need to go fast fast without nitrous THE DEVIL CAT 😈 is gonna eat well 😁, I believe 8s will be easily achievable in mid summer heat no more waiting for fall weather to show off

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I’m drinking the ripple myself I’ve already placed my order for the hellcat version and @Hemituner is going to tune this new set up 6,000 is a steal in my opinion,I believe the 3.0 is all we will need to go fast fast without nitrous THE DEVIL CAT 😈 is gonna eat well 😁, I believe 8s will be easily achievable in mid summer heat no more waiting for fall weather to show off
Haven't heard anything about Ripple since my college days. That and Boones Farm.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Welcome to the forum!