Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

GT500 vs Redeye at the drag strip

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Interesting video. All the mustang guys are complaining about the GT500s tires and wheels being on 20s. 18s likely will help some, but I still believe the stock DCT is what's holding it back the most. Both cars needed better tires imo. They both were spinning, but still a good comparison for both stock on tire. None of the mustang guys mentioned that the GT500 owner took off a hood piece for better airflow though, imo that shouldn't have been allowed. Would be interesting to see them both run on MT ET Rs.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Why are these guys doing john force burnouts passed the tree?

I was never worried. I have said many many times I can't wait for a GT500 to line up with me at the track because it will loose every time. The GT500 will never 60 like the Redeye. Put whatever tire you want on the GT500 right now 1.406 60 and 10.15 is the best time for a stock redeye with wheel and tire swap.

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Interesting video. All the mustang guys are complaining about the GT500s tires and wheels being on 20s. 18s likely will help some, but I still believe the stock DCT is what's holding it back the most. Both cars needed better tires imo. They both were spinning, but still a good comparison for both stock on tire. None of the mustang guys mentioned that the GT500 owner took off a hood piece for better airflow though, imo that shouldn't have been allowed. Would be interesting to see them both run on MT ET Rs.

Looks like with these 2...its allways gonna be about the driver...

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I agree but same driver in both cars and same track Redeye will always win.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Something totally off topic...and not relevant to anything...but after watching this video...and that Demon video...whats with all the beards...why is everyone tryin to look like Abe F^ckin Lincoln...

OP
MaxCarnage

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #6

I was never worried. I have said many many times I can't wait for a GT500 to line up with me at the track because it will loose every time. The GT500 will never 60 like the Redeye. Put whatever tire you want on the GT500 right now 1.406 60 and 10.15 is the best time for a stock redeye with wheel and tire swap.
Out of the box stock I agree the GT500 won't 60ft as well on tire as ours cars do on tire. However, with trans tuning and DCT upgrades that likely will change. Of course the owner will have to sink money into their GT500 (whereas Redeye owners don't have to), and void their warranties to 60ft better. I doubt we will see many GT500 owners do transmission upgrades and void warranties early on, but some will for sure.

For drag racing the Redeye is the better option imo. I'd much rather tires be something we need to change vs trans tuning/upgraded DCT clutches.

Once the cars were both rolling ,they both seemed to keep the same pace with neither pulling on each other. Someone might have been slightly pulling but it was tough to tell. GT500 is clearly at a disadvantage from a dig stock to stock.

OP
MaxCarnage

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #7
Something totally off topic...and not relevant to anything...but after watching this video...and that Demon video...whats with all the beards...why is everyone tryin to look like Abe F^ckin Lincoln...
I can't speak for them, but I can't grow hair on my head, so I grow it where ever I can! :LOL:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Because Youtube

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
"Completely stock except for the tire." Well, shit, that won't make any difference at all!

fake smile.gif

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
By the time they back up and stage there tires have lost most of the heat.

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I will still say this - it's pretty awesome that we're bullshitting about factory cars running in the tens (and that are completely streetable DD-material). In the days of my youth, you'd have been smoking crack talking like that.

Nevertheless, the Red Eye running 555Rs is a bit of let down for me. Or maybe I missed them saying the GT500 was on DRs too?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I can't speak for them, but I can't grow hair on my head, so I grow it where ever I can! :LOL:
neither can I...and I would trade my Demon heads up (no pun intended)..for a full head of hair back...

OP
MaxCarnage

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #13
I will still say this - it's pretty awesome that we're bullshitting about factory cars running in the tens (and that are completely streetable DD-material). In the days of my youth, you'd have been smoking crack talking like that.

Nevertheless, the Red Eye running 555Rs is a bit of let down for me. Or maybe I missed them saying the GT500 was on DRs too?
Redeye was on Nitto NT05s and GT500 was on Toyo 888R. Neither was running a stock tire (from my understanding the GT500 comes stock with PS4s). Both of those tires were R compound tires. Both cars despite having better than factory tires were spinning too. Imo they both should have put better tires on. Both should have ran MT S/S tires on 20s or MT ET Rs (Preferably) on 17/18 wheels. Factory stock tires, the GT500 will do better, because it comes with better factory tires. Put them on the exact same drag tire and the Redeye will outperform it.

The limiting factor will be the DCT for the GT500, not the tires. That said hopefully we will see a same tire comparison video in the future.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I thought the tires held up pretty well, but then a gain my last name is not Bad to the Bone Year or Yoto. In the future I will marry a tire queen. Hickster/ yoto/ year/ Tito/ Muchlan.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
But wait. I thought according to the 'World's greatest drag race' by those automotive journalists of great authority, the RE runs 11.77 ? :unsure: . I mean as soon as I read that I turned my RE in and ordered a new GT500.:sick:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
But wait. I thought according to the 'World's greatest drag race' by those automotive journalists of great authority, the RE runs 11.77 ? :unsure: . I mean as soon as I read that I turned my RE in and ordered a new GT500.:sick:
How much did they give you for your trade? lol