Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

HC No Start...

OP
JRabq

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #21
Guys at dealer said duh, we'll give you an appointment...tow it in!

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
The battery in my ‘14 Jeep GC is going to be 8 years old in June. Works like new. Must be QC is in the crapper these days.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
The battery in my ‘14 Jeep GC is going to be 8 years old in June. Works like new. Must be QC is in the crapper these days.
3-4 yrs is about avg for Hellcats I think because they tend to sit a lot more. Most of us dont daily them as much.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Regarding the battery going from "fine" to "dead", that's the way it seems to be going in all of my vehicles. And the bizarre behavior is now the standard and is due to all of the computerization. Gone are the days of points and distributor caps... :(

I've been upgrading to AGM batteries as well, a bit more cranking amps and a little bit more AH. Also better on the deep discharge side of life.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I think it's all the electronics these days that seem to make the battery go like that. If the charge is just a tiny bit below what the computer wants it to be - it cuts out. I've had a number of them go in a matter of hours (started fine & drove to work, wouldn't start at lunch or quitting time). I'd bet $$$ this is some emissions related crap - better to leave someone stranded somewhere than have a 'dirty' start :mad:

As SlowPoke stated, sitting also drains them. Dealer said that was likely what killed mine. Now I throw the trickle charger on if it's going to be sitting for more than 3 or 4 days, so far seems to be doing the trick !

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
How unexpected is for battery to go from no symptoms to full dead overnight? Its very cold here either.
Had mine on my Ram work great going to work ( around the 5 year age) and was dead that afternoon.
Truck wouldn't even take a jump.
New battery, worked great.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
On the old Magnum, I keep the voltage as well as the engine temp permanently up on the center display. I always check it before I start it and if it's dropped to the mid to low 11V's, good sign to consider replacing and I did just that earlier this year (maybe 4 years on this battery). I did buy a battery in the spring and kept it on the shelf as a spare so I had it handy.

The 2017 Charger, so far is still keeping a good charge but more often than not, especially these days I have it always hooked up to a smart charger.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States