Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Heat and overheating issue?

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
My car randomly takes a while to heat up, the heat quits working and the coolant temps will get to around 240 for a few minutes while driving before falling off. I first noticed this while sitting in a drive thru for longer than normal and shut the car off. As soon as I started the car it immediately cooled off to 180's and stayed that way. On my way to work this morning it the heat quit working and the car heated up to around 240 for about 5 minutes and immediately cooled off with no issues the rest of the way to work. It did the same on the way home and I stopped and bought a 180' thermostat thinking it might be the thermostat. Whats your thoughts and are there any tricks to bleeding the coolant system or a need too?

I believe all 3 times I have had an issue the heat has been on

Last edited:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Sounds like it could use a system full of coolant (no air), not a lower temp thermostat.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
180 thermostats do fail a lot. I have a milodon I used for years on my Daytona and it has been on my Hellcat this year. The other thing, is the fan working?

OP
C

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
180 thermostats do fail a lot. I have a milodon I used for years on my Daytona and it has been on my Hellcat this year. The other thing, is the fan working?
Yes I have heard the fan running a few times when outside temps were in the 90's and thought nothing of it. I did not hear the fans today and outside temps were in the 40's so the heater was on and i was driving when it heated up then cooled off. I was watching the temps and ready to pull over and call a buddy for help. I have no idea what temp thermostat is in the car now. It came tuned and I took the tune off because I do not trust canned tunes. I asked the previous owner about other mods before removing the tune. I might need to get a different temp thermostat but in a quick read of the forum this morning before I went into work I read where someone mentioned installing a 180* stat as soon as he bought the car so I just bought one on the way home

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If you are not tuned for a 180 you will probably get a cel if it doesn't warm up fast enough

OP
C

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
I will go get a oem temp thermostat and some coolant now. I am already working on the car tomorrow morning so I will change the thermostat in case thats the problem and top off the coolant.

Thanks for all of the replies and if there is anymore information you believe I might need let me know.

OP
C

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
I replaced the thermostat and added some coolant which was quite low and bled everything. I will see if that helps in the next day or so I am sure. I have not had any issues today but the issue is usually when the car is first started and not once the car has been up to temp.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Do you have a sense as to where/why you lost the coolant?

OP
C

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Do you have a sense as to where/why you lost the coolant?
No visible leaks so I am not sure. Hopefully its not a blown head gasket. The engine oil looks fine though and was recently changed

OP
C

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
I have no knowledge of how these cars work but wonder if the car wasn't losing coolant through the cap because there was a decent amount of air in the system before I changed the thermostat this morning. The thermostat looked fine but I changed it anyway since the cost wasn't much

OP
C

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
The coolant level dropped once I let the car cool down to about 3 inches below the cold fill line. I cannot see any leaks anywhere can barely smell coolant which could has always been present when the car is warm and the oil still looks good. I refilled the overflow tank and bled the coolant again. I am no expert on bleeding the coolant but did not notice any air bleeding out. Only coolant bled out

any suggestions other than a visit to the local dealership?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I have swapped out the thermostat a few times and just refilled it with no issues

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
The coolant level dropped once I let the car cool down to about 3 inches below the cold fill line. I cannot see any leaks anywhere can barely smell coolant which could has always been present when the car is warm and the oil still looks good. I refilled the overflow tank and bled the coolant again. I am no expert on bleeding the coolant but did not notice any air bleeding out. Only coolant bled out

any suggestions other than a visit to the local dealership?

You said oil "looked" good, are you also paying close attention to the level?

Aside from a horribly aerated coolant system (which obviously doesn't just happen on its own), your coolant level shouldn't continue to drop after filling it.

One top-off is normal, a second small top-off sometimes, anymore than that seems like you've got something going on, especially if it's more than a small amount.

Anybody else agree or disagree?

OP
C

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
You said oil "looked" good, are you also paying close attention to the level?

Aside from a horribly aerated coolant system (which obviously doesn't just happen on its own), your coolant level shouldn't continue to drop after filling it.

One top-off is normal, a second small top-off sometimes, anymore than that seems like you've got something going on, especially if it's more than a small amount.

Anybody else agree or disagree?

Oil level is good also. I agree that I have an issue with coolant levels dropping. I just don't know the reason and I am asking for suggestions. I will keep a good watch on it the next couple of days and if the problem continues I will be taking it to the dealership to get checked out. I cannot visually see any leaks so I have no way of figuring out he issue on my own

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I cannot visually see any leaks so I have no way of figuring out he issue on my own
They make simple tools for that purpose. Basically a radiator cap with a pump and a gauge on it.
Pressurize the system, then look for the leak. Hopefully it's external.

OP
C

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #16
No changes in coolant levels today. I will continue to keep a watch on the levels and hope whatever the issue was is fixed.

Thanks for the replies!!

OP
C

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
No changes in fluid levels in a week and the coolant temp has only reached 200* once in the whole week and that was at a long wait in a traffic jam. The car seems to be good for now

Thank you everybody Hellcatforum.org members for letting me waste your time. Have a good weekend

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
No changes in fluid levels in a week and the coolant temp has only reached 200* once in the whole week and that was at a long wait in a traffic jam. The car seems to be good for now

Thank you everybody Hellcatforum.org members for letting me waste your time. Have a good weekend
Your avatar bears a striking resemblance to CC...but not sure CC's eyes are set that far apart:unsure::unsure:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

A chance for everyone to learn from the experience...

; )

OP
C

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
Your avatar bears a striking resemblance to CC...but not sure CC's eyes are set that far apart:unsure::unsure:
I am not sure who CC is but I hope they do not look like Chunky. I would change the avatar to my Challenger if I had taken a good photo of it. I haven't been anywhere worth taking a picture when the car was clean and dd it now so it stays dirty. I added a different picture of my dog for now

Last edited: