Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellcat Oil Filter

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Saw this as an alternative to the Wix made Viper (white) Mopar oil filter. Along with the Ultra, they make a racing filter that fits the Hellcat. Wonder how these specs compare with the Viper filter?

FHP16_Front.jpg
Screenshot_20220530-074306_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Plan on using Viper filter going forward, but this might be a good one in a pinch?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Sometimes when you read something bad about a product you never use it. There was a filter media comparison years ago and it showed how cheap the frams were. Enough so I will not buy them again. There was a newer one done and it seemed the frams did better

We get things stuck in our minds for different reasons like changing your oil every 3k miles and some can't break that. I know of issues that happened with Pennzoil back in the 80's but for me I will not use it even though what they have now is totally different. I used Castrol for many years when their synthetic came out and I use Valvoline in my Jeep and Challenger and my TAXI uses Amsoil

The fram may be fine and if it doesn't bother you to use it by all means. I will use a Purolator or Wix being that is what is stuck in my mind before a fram. I use the Mopar 899 on the Jeep and Challenger and the Amsoil filter on the TAXI

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Sometimes when you read something bad about a product you never use it. There was a filter media comparison years ago and it showed how cheap the frams were. Enough so I will not buy them again. There was a newer one done and it seemed the frams did better

We get things stuck in our minds for different reasons like changing your oil every 3k miles and some can't break that. I know of issues that happened with Pennzoil back in the 80's but for me I will not use it even though what they have now is totally different. I used Castrol for many years when their synthetic came out and I use Valvoline in my Jeep and Challenger and my TAXI uses Amsoil

The fram may be fine and if it doesn't bother you to use it by all means. I will use a Purolator or Wix being that is what is stuck in my mind before a fram. I use the Mopar 899 on the Jeep and Challenger and the Amsoil filter on the TAXI
Well said. I do remember Fram issues a while ago and the Pennzoil "wax" issue. Good points. You use Amsoil oil and filter in the Taxi? Good info and points.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Well said. I do remember Fram issues a while ago and the Pennzoil "wax" issue. Good points. You use Amsoil oil and filter in the Taxi? Good info and points.
I started doing the once a year oil change with my '13 mustang using Amsoil. After 4 years and nearly 40k miles I took my short block in to get forged rods and pistons put in. My engine builder raved on how good the cylinders looked. This guy tears engines down all the the time and this was something he normally doesn't see. I had a supercharger on it the whole time also.

So when someone asks what makes you think Amsoil is good, that is what I tell them. They sell their own filter and also offer a Wix filter

I did send in my oil to Blackstone this year after running 7600 miles in the TAXI last year. I need to post it and start a thread. This year I'm going to break down my oil change to around 4k since now I'm using e85 and I want to see how it looks.

Last edited:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I use Pennzoil and the Wix filters.

Years ago Fram was the top filter. Apparently not anymore.

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
I use Pennzoil and the Wix filters.

Years ago Fram was the top filter. Apparently not anymore.
Their Ultra line of filters are pretty good from what I hear.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
This is my combo from day one. "Racing" filters were never my thing.

Attachments

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Their Ultra line of filters are pretty good from what I hear.
The older wire-backed synthetic Ultras were as good as it gets. The most recent have been cheapened some but still pretty good by objective measures. (Flow and efficiency)

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
The older wire-backed synthetic Ultras were as good as it gets. The most recent have been cheapened some but still pretty good by objective measures. (Flow and efficiency)
My mistake then. Glad I posted for clarification. Thanks all.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
My mistake then. Glad I posted for clarification. Thanks all.
The new Ultras have a thinner synthetic media backed by cellulose media. Still 99% efficiency @20 microns. Fram claims it’s just as good but the BITOG’ers are skeptical.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
The FRAM racing filters are a solid design, and I have used them for decades on my racing engines. BUT, I bought one HP16 recently for the Hellcat, and low and behold, "made in China." :mad: They had always been made in USA. I sent that POS back from where I bought it. I will NEVER use a Chinese oil filter on any of my engines. The FRAM Ultra-Guard are also a very good filter design for daily type applications, and have been Made in USA up to that last time I bought one. The FRAM business enterprise has undergone a lot of merger/acquisition/divestiture activity over their history, and apparently they have gone the more, if not totally to the cheap Chinese way since my employer divested them several years ago. Buyer beware. Glad I have enough Mopar filters in-stock to the last the rest of my life lol

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
The FRAM racing filters are a solid design, and I have used them for decades on my racing engines. BUT, I bought one HP16 recently for the Hellcat, and low and behold, "made in China." :mad: They had always been made in USA. I sent that POS back from where I bought it. I will NEVER use a Chinese oil filter on any of my engines. The FRAM Ultra-Guard are also a very good filter design for daily type applications, and have been Made in USA up to that last time I bought one. The FRAM business enterprise has undergone a lot of merger/acquisition/divestiture activity over their history, and apparently they have gone the more, if not totally to the cheap Chinese way since my employer divested them several years ago. Buyer beware. Glad I have enough Mopar filters in-stock to the last the rest of my life lol
If I’m not mistaken, the 041 is (or was) made in Poland.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
it is - Wix plant in Poland

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
it is - Wix plant in Poland
Maybe that’s why they’re in short supply. Poland is sending them to Ukraine. :unsure: ;)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
22microns isn't very impressive

12 or less...

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
22microns isn't very impressive

12 or less...
Are there any spec’d at < 20?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Are there any spec’d at < 20?

@rayzazoo recently posted up a spreadsheet with some, let me see if I can find it.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
What's interesting about the "XP" versions of the WIX filters is they "open" them up, presumably to allow for greater flow as they get older???

When I saw that, I stopped using the "XP" versions of WIX filters and went back to the normal versions.