Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellcat Redeye Horsepower Question

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge CHALLENGER HELLCAT REDEYE WIDEBODY
Hey everybody I hope everyone is doing well. I have a question in regards to the stock horsepower of the Redeye. On the other forum, there is a gentleman who out of the kindness of his own heart creates custom poster board pictures that people can have blown up on a poster board for car shows and such. On the one he did for me it shows two different numbers for horsepower; one states the 797 as the Stock SAE-Rated horsepower and the other shows 812 as the Stock SAE-measured horsepower. Could someone please educate me on what the difference is between the two different numbers. Car Show Poster.jpg

Designflaw

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sadieville
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 WB M6 Cat
Just guessing, but I think the 797 is pump gas, the 812 is race gas. Same as the Demon, 808 pump, 840 race.

OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Just guessing, but I think the 797 is pump gas, the 812 is race gas. Same as the Demon, 808 pump, 840 race.
Maybe but in the footnotes it says they are both with 91 octane.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
SAE horsepower is the actual number the engine produces 797 is the number FCA choose to put down because it sounds better to there marketing team.

OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
SAE horsepower is the actual number the engine produces 797 is the number FCA choose to put down because it sounds better to there marketing team.
Okay, so the measured horsepower is what the car actually makes? How does 797 sound better than 812🤔

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Okay, so the measured horsepower is what the car actually makes? How does 797 sound better than 812🤔
Ask the nerds in the marketing team lol. 797 rolls off of the tongue better I guess. If you go the SAE website you can get the actual dyno printout for the car its about$50 for the simple two page version and from what I remember for $1000 if you want the full breakdown.

Last edited:

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
SAE certified numbers are supposed to keep automakers honest about their power claims. In the past some automakers liked to fudge the numbers or build a 'hero' motor to test with the tightest/best possible tolerances/specs that a regular production engine could never achieve. SAE test engines are supposed to be regular production parts pulled at random and should be the minimum a customer will see in their car. Some customers who end up with an engine that has a more favorable tolerance stack-up could see more power than SAE certification (IE- 'factory freak'). The manufacturer can claim any number they want up to and including the SAE test result number. So anything less is just what the marketing department determined to be 'best' for a particular product. See Redeye/Demon/Super Stock power claims that all share the same engine.

Last edited:
OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
SAE certified numbers are supposed to keep automakers honest about their power claims. In the past some automakers liked to fudge the numbers or build a 'hero' motor to test with the tightest/best possible tolerances/specs that a regular production engine could never achieve. SAE test engines are supposed to be regular production parts pulled at random and should be the minimum a customer will see in their car. Some customers who end up with an engine that has a more favorable tolerance stack-up could see more power than SAE certification (IE- 'factory freak'). The manufacturer can claim any number they want up to and including the SAE test result number. So anything less is just what the marketing department determined to be 'best' for a particular product. See Redeye/Demon/Super Stock power claims that all share the same engine.
That makes sense. So the only way you would know if you have a "factory freak" is if you have your car dynoed.

OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
That makes sense. So the only way you would know if you have a "factory freak" is if you have your car dynoed.
Yep. And even then you're only (educated) guessing. If you use a chassis dyno you have to figure in drivetrain loss, and not all dynos read the same. Only way to really be apples to apples would be to pull your engine and put it through the same SAE tests on an SAE engine dyno.

OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
Awesome, I appreciate the lesson gentleman.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Cool, so because the Redeye, Demon, and SS all have the same engine, the person who made the poster threw up the demon numbers. Can I go to this SAE.org site and pay for a specific report for my motor?
It won't be the motor in your car but a random motor SAE picked to test.

OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #16
It won't be the motor in your car but a random motor SAE picked to test.
Got it

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
1/4 mile trap speed is a good horsepower indicator. A Redeye should go over 130 at lower elevations - there will be of course many variables when you're racing so it's good to make many runs...plus it's fun as hell :)

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Says right in there - the two hp numbers are being measured at a 100rpm difference (6300 vs. 6400). Gotta read the fine print.

OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
Says right in there - the two hp numbers are being measured at a 100rpm difference (6300 vs. 6400). Gotta read the fine print.
I guess that's why I was asking for the education. So does that mean that at the Redeye engine is capable of going to 6500 RPM to make that number or does the Redeye cap out at 6400 RPM? I know that its the exact same motor in all three cars with a different tune, but can a stock Redeye make 812 horsepower at 6500 RPM? I just want to be able to explain myself if anyone were to ever ask why there are two different numbers there.

I app the input.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country