Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellcat Trans brake

Member ID
Reactions
City
Nicktown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 hellcat
Does anyone know can a hellcat trans ecu be programmed to make the trans work as if it has a trans brake like the Demon had?

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Im sure its in the software for 2018's and newer. The 1320 also has this feature.
You just need to turn it on somehow.

However, without a 2 step/rev limiter to it, its pretty pointless.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Does anyone know can a hellcat trans ecu be programmed to make the trans work as if it has a trans brake like the Demon had?
That's beyond my pay grade:oops:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I think @Hpindy did this but I dont know anyone who uses the trans brake. Too gimmicky.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I think @Hpindy did this but I dont know anyone who uses the trans brake. Too gimmicky.
Agree...more of a PITA than its worth

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
If he did it and shit canned it, I'd love to hear the details

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
So you need a PCM that can take the firmware flash (this is outside the tune), probably any compatible HC RE PCM will work. Get a demon VIN, get a Wi-Tech 2 pod or a buddy at a chrysler dealership and have him flash it. The transbrake locks first and second, and you don't have your foot on the brake, you use the slappy paddles to make it happen. These are my thoughts on this.

Also since the ABS and other modules are controlled by a BCM probably a compatible one as well. TBH I'd rather have what HP tuners did for the 10r80 mustang guys than the dodge stuff, dodge seems very limited.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?78194-Transbrake-for-hp80/page2&highlight=demon+transbrake

Ricky Racer

U.S. Army Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vancouver
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018, dodge demon
Won’t an aftermarket two-step controller work on demons, 1320’s, RE‘s, hellcat’s? The trans brake on the demon has to many procedures you have to preform flawlessly for it to work and if you screw up on just one of them it will cancel out and put you in limp mode On the starting line. It’s hard to compete with cars with a traditional two-step. I love bracket racing but I feel handicapped foot braking it. It works but it’s not as consistent as a two-step.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Won’t an aftermarket two-step controller work on demons, 1320’s, RE‘s, hellcat’s? The trans brake on the demon has to many procedures you have to preform flawlessly for it to work and if you screw up on just one of them it will cancel out and put you in limp mode On the starting line. It’s hard to compete with cars with a traditional two-step. I love bracket racing but I feel handicapped foot braking it. It works but it’s not as consistent as a two-step.
. I had a 2-step on mine while still using the stock pcm and it worked perfectly. So yes it should work with the Demon transbrake. It basically just controls the rpm to what you set it at and that would be the way to deal with that rpm “window” that makes the Demon transbrake so impractical.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Following.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
. I had a 2-step on mine while still using the stock pcm and it worked perfectly. So yes it should work with the Demon transbrake. It basically just controls the rpm to what you set it at and that would be the way to deal with that rpm “window” that makes the Demon transbrake so impractical.
You use the one from the guys in Jacksonville that works off of the brake pedal?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
You use the one from the guys in Jacksonville that works off of the brake pedal?
No. I was using a Stage6 Motorsports 2Step in conjunction with the transbrake in my T-400. They worked together off the same button but were independent systems. The point being that there wasn’t any issue using that rpm control with the factory pcm. I’m still going to be using that transbrake but the 2-step will be a function of the Holley EFI ECU now. EDE554BF-987C-449C-B90A-96302B1DEF79.jpeg

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
No. I was using a Stage6 Motorsports 2Step in conjunction with the transbrake in my T-400. They worked together off the same button but were independent systems. The point being that there wasn’t any issue using that rpm control with the factory pcm. I’m still going to be using that transbrake but the 2-step will be a function of the Holley EFI ECU now. View attachment 77693
I checked with them and they told me that it only worked with the brake pedal on the Charger. Plus I wanted a lower stall speed than 2K.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I checked with them and they told me that it only worked with the brake pedal on the Charger. Plus I wanted a lower stall speed than 2K.
We’ll the word “only” is not true. They are using that brake electrical signal to activate the switch and that works but I don’t see any point of using one without a transbrake. This combination is way too much all at once for anything but a properly set up drag car that can put a hard launch to the track. Hellcats have a difficult time with that as is.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
We’ll the word “only” is not true. They are using that brake electrical signal to activate the switch and that works but I don’t see any point of using one without a transbrake. This combination is way too much all at once for anything but a properly set up drag car that can put a hard launch to the track. Hellcats have a difficult time with that as is.
I was trying to find an alternative launch method from foot braking because of my lower back issues and my left foot doesn't always cooperate quite as it should.
I finally got it working fairly well but I'm not knocking down the tree.

Ricky Racer

U.S. Army Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vancouver
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018, dodge demon
I will try anything at this point, hate being put out in the first round by a junker S-10 with a small block Chevy and a traditional trans brake who is two seconds slower than me but cuts a better light. Frustrating but I not giving up .

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I will try anything at this point, hate being put out in the first round by a junker S-10 with a small block Chevy and a traditional trans brake who is two seconds slower than me but cuts a better light. Frustrating but I not giving up .
. The main performance advantage in having the 2Step/TB combination is the quick and consistent reaction times on the tree.
I have the 2-Step and plug-n-play harness that simplifies the installation that I no longer need. It worked perfect in my car. Retail on the Stage6 is $425 and the MXA harness is $300. I’ll sell the whole thing for $400 shipped. 2384CB80-1D40-4A4F-82A3-77BC14F82709.jpeg 741E9B04-48D4-47C8-95B2-7318C38735F2.jpeg

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Go on.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
One of the biggest money winners at Byron drag ray had a 13 second Nova with a column shifter.
Fucking car was deadly and he could cut one hell of a light.

And for the faster cars, it was hard to stay patient for 5-6 seconds at times for the tree to drop

Ricky Racer

U.S. Army Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vancouver
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018, dodge demon
I just want to be able to hit the button, floor it, engine rev’s to selected RPM, and when it’s time to go just release button.