Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Help Pick New Cell Phone (and make fun of me in the process) !

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
For security get an iOS device. Android devices have a larger attack surface. Also easy to use, can blow up text for old eyes (not necessarily needed for you) and will be nice to have that toggle switch on the side so you can turn off all notifications and it actually works, phone is dead silent.

I will not be assimilated!!!

; )

OP
MikeD1

MikeD1

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #42
Have you gleaned anything from all this?[idea]

Not really, I have a camera that takes excellent pics when I need great pics of something.
If I want to watch a movie or show, I have a large plasma TV + SS set-up I spent a ton of $$ on + time picking out & setting up.
I have a fairly powerful PC with a 27" screen & full size keyboard when I want to surf the net & a laptop for backup
There is a phone in every room of the house

Why would I want to pay $100's a month to do any that on some itty bitty screen - seriously - truly do not understand why ??

Also do not understand just what the frack ppl do all the time on these devices (it's like they've become some sort of appendage or addiction).
Couples & families sit down in restaurants and all are staring & swiping on these stupid phones, they barely look up to order & eat - again I truly can't imagine what the hell they are doing ??

To me it's really just a tool I need when I'm away from home to communicate with ppl I'm meeting (usually to get or deliver a dog) on the road.
And texting - I HATE texting - reminds me of all the IM nonsense I had to put up with when I was working (one of the prime motivators to me retiring early).

I did try for a while with the Android (Motorola) phone, but it was a huge PITA. Nothing seemed intuitive and it incessantly nagged me to get a Google acct. It never did sync correctly with the Hellcat or the 'rango even tho many ppl tried to make it work. I eventually just gave up & went back to my $25 Wal-mart flip and tossed the 'smart phone' on the counter. Only use it's had lately is the wife occasionally takes it in case of emergencies since she broke her phone & never bothered to replace it.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Not really, I have a camera that takes excellent pics when I need great pics of something.
If I want to watch a movie or show, I have a large plasma TV + SS set-up I spent a ton of $$ on + time picking out & setting up.
I have a fairly powerful PC with a 27" screen & full size keyboard when I want to surf the net & a laptop for backup

Why would I want to pay $100's a month to do any that on some itty bitty screen - seriously - truly do not understand why ??

Also do not understand just what the frack ppl do all the time on these devices (it's like they've become some sort of appendage or addiction).
Couples & families sit down in restaurants and all are staring & swiping on these stupid phones, they barely look up to order & eat - again I truly can't imagine what the hell they are doing ??

To me it's really just a tool I need when I'm away from home to communicate with ppl I'm meeting (usually to get or deliver a dog) on the road.
And texting - I HATE texting - reminds me of all the IM nonsense I had to put up with when I was working (one of the prime motivators to me retiring early).

I did try for a while with the Android (Motorola) phone, but it was a huge PITA. Nothing seemed intuitive and it incessantly nagged me to get a Google acct. It never did sync correctly with the Hellcat or the 'rango even tho many ppl tried to make it work. I eventually just gave up & went back to my $25 Wal-mart flip and tossed the 'smart phone' on the counter. Only use it's had lately is the wife occasionally takes it in case of emergencies since she broke her phone & never bothered to replace it.

Like I said in the other thread, I hate these damn things.

But they are an evil necessity, once you get integrated with them.

I use mine constantly for various engineering tasks. If I need a quick reference for something, it usually solves the problem. I have several dedicated apps (physics etc.). Pricing on a part while at a job site, etc.

If I want to do real research, I have to go to the big screen on the PC.

If I could get to a point where I could trust it, I wouldn't have an issue.

I do a good job of not getting on it during meals, or other "people" time.

SilverBillet

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk

You may not need it but it’s really not hundreds a month. Other than the cost of the phone you choose, you can probably find a monthly plan for less than you are paying now. I think you were looking to update to something that will work better at home than your current cellphone and service? The new technology is truly amazing. Except maybe for professional photographers, it supersedes the separate digital cameras almost to the extent digital cameras superseded film cameras. Try it, you’ll like it.

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
@MikeD1 ..The $64M question is will I need a Google acct to use it ? Don't even get me started on Google ..................
You don't NEED a Google account, but it runs smoothly with one, similar to what has been said above, the interfaces Google has allow you to capture and store your pics and info so you can retrieve from any device that you can access Google from.(Virtually ANY device.)

Slowpoke387

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I did try for a while with the Android (Motorola) phone, but it was a huge PITA. Nothing seemed intuitive and it incessantly nagged me to get a Google acct. It never did sync correctly with the Hellcat or the 'rango even tho many ppl tried to make it work. I eventually just gave up & went back to my $25 Wal-mart flip and tossed the 'smart phone' on the counter.
Ah. This is why you dont like it. Was way too early and on a POS phone. Things are wwaaay better now. Apple is ridiculously intuitive and links right up with your car easily. I too really mostly only use my phone for calling. But in the end texting is a LOT more convenient than having to call someone unless it’s going to be a long convo. And the camera is better than most older dedicated cameras that most people own so it’s nice to not have to haul a separate camera and bag around. It allows for much more spur of the moment high quality pics without having to set everything up. Again, just a lot more convenient. I def dont live on my phone though. But for hands free calling in the car, texting which is very easy, and quality pics on the run? Cannot beat it. I dont work for Apple lol but your experience wouldve been a LOT different with an iphone, you can do all of the things you currently do but much quicker and easier. There’s a reason why so many people like them. Cmon man, look directly into the light 😂

Idoru99

Premium Account
Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Redeye
@MikeD1 Check out Mint Mobile www.mintmobile.com They have a couple flip phones and their service is very reasonably priced. While you won't be able to keep your AT&T 100/year their cheapest is 15/mo (discount for paying annually). Their flip phones are 4G.

While I'm an Android guy, my wife's an Apply FanGirl, both types work well with Mint. No stores, just online, supposedly making things cheaper for the customers.

Just another data point for you.

Good luck in your search.

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
My kid swears by Mint, he pays 200 for a year of unlimited service, has wifi calling and says no issues with service for over 2 yrs. Almost any newer phone will do what you ask, Android Auto in car works with everything I have had opportunity to hook to it,(phones <2 yrs old)...just depends on what you find and like.

jroyk

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Also check out U.S. Mobile. My techie son (senior software developer for a national insurance co.) tried Mint. He wasn't satisfied and switched to U.S. Mobile. He says he can't tell the difference between it and Verizon. He and his wife pay $30 a month with plenty of data.

Magnified

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC
Consumer Cellular rated very well. Almost went with them last time. If service with the current carrier does not improve, that's where I am going.

OP
MikeD1

MikeD1

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #52
Soooooo, had to run some errands today & decided to stop by the AT&T store + the Spectrum (local cable co.) store which is in the same strip mall.
Not planning to buy anything, rather wanted to get a visual on the phones & some idea on size + what they offered in terms of cost/plans.

No real surprise, but the Spectrum mobile store employees are every bit as rude, lazy & incompetent as their cable counterparts on the phone.
Did glean that the iPhone SE and 12 mini seemed more reasonably sized devices, but cost more than I was really looking to spend ($400 & $750).
Their phones on display were all active, so you could fuss with the menus but calling, texting etc. was disabled. Neither of the 3 bimbo's sitting at their little cages seemed interested in offering assistance & were busy doing whatever on their appendages. I was the only customer in the place [scratch]

Then wandered into the AT& T store, was immediately greeted & asked how they could help.
I ran down what I had and that I was getting the 3G going away messages. She was surprised & said I was suppose to have gotten a text & email with the number to call to get free 4G phones :love: She admitted they would not be great phones, but since they are free, it takes the pressure off & it gives me time to decide if I want something better + allows me to keep my el-cheapo plan. Walked out of the store with the number to call & a smile on my face !

Called when I got home & sure enough, all you have to do is ask & they send out the phone (2 in my case since I have 2 lines).

For now will be getting a 4G flip for the business account and a RADIANT Max 5G (not sure who really makes it). The Max looked like a brick to me & I wish they had offered one of their smaller ones. But, it will satisfy the wife who has been nagging for one since spending a week with her sisters up north last month - she is sure she's missing out on something, but not real sure just what. Will be interesting to watch her struggle with it since she never really mastered my AV remote or her old flip phone :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I may end up drinking the kool-aid & picking up an unlocked SE if I stumble into one for cheap but for now I'll soldier on with my free flip. Figure I saved at least $600 or so, which pretty much gets me a new Sig P320 X Carry which will get much more use ;)

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Soooooo, had to run some errands today & decided to stop by the AT&T store + the Spectrum (local cable co.) store which is in the same strip mall.
Not planning to buy anything, rather wanted to get a visual on the phones & some idea on size + what they offered in terms of cost/plans.

No real surprise, but the Spectrum mobile store employees are every bit as rude, lazy & incompetent as their cable counterparts on the phone.
Did glean that the iPhone SE and 12 mini seemed more reasonably sized devices, but cost more than I was really looking to spend ($400 & $750).
Their phones on display were all active, so you could fuss with the menus but calling, texting etc. was disabled. Neither of the 3 bimbo's sitting at their little cages seemed interested in offering assistance & were busy doing whatever on their appendages. I was the only customer in the place [scratch]

Then wandered into the AT& T store, was immediately greeted & asked how they could help.
I ran down what I had and that I was getting the 3G going away messages. She was surprised & said I was suppose to have gotten a text & email with the number to call to get free 4G phones :love: She admitted they would not be great phones, but since they are free, it takes the pressure off & it gives me time to decide if I want something better + allows me to keep my el-cheapo plan. Walked out of the store with the number to call & a smile on my face !

Called when I got home & sure enough, all you have to do is ask & they send out the phone (2 in my case since I have 2 lines).

For now will be getting a 4G flip for the business account and a RADIANT Max 5G (not sure who really makes it). The Max looked like a brick to me & I wish they had offered one of their smaller ones. But, it will satisfy the wife who has been nagging for one since spending a week with her sisters up north last month - she is sure she's missing out on something, but not real sure just what. Will be interesting to watch her struggle with it since she never really mastered my AV remote or her old flip phone :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I may end up drinking the kool-aid & picking up an unlocked SE if I stumble into one for cheap but for now I'll soldier on with my free flip. Figure I saved at least $600 or so, which pretty much gets me a new Sig P320 X Carry which will get much more use ;)

Screenshot_20210914-232115_Firefox.jpg

Magnified

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC
Sacrilege! There's only one captain...

risk.gif

Whatknot

1000 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ford Mustang GT convertible
I forget who said that its hundreds per month, but I am curious about what phone you have that they charge hundreds a month. Does it walk your dog, cook your meals, clean your house, do the laundry, and jerk you off as well for that sort of money?

OP
MikeD1

MikeD1

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #56
I forget who said that its hundreds per month, but I am curious about what phone you have that they charge hundreds a month. Does it walk your dog, cook your meals, clean your house, do the laundry, and jerk you off as well for that sort of money?
I agree, but according to wifey her sisters were shocked that we had 2 phones for $100/ea per year & when she asked how much they were paying it was all over $100/month. Maybe they have plans with their (now all grown) kids still mooching ?

Shitheads that they are to deal with, Spectrum seems the best deal here - $14/mn for talk/text + 1gb data (whatever that actually gets me) or $45 for unlimited everything, but then you need the phone which is another $30+/mn depending on what you pick.

In the meantime - the new phones are here, the new phones are here - LOL. Both came today, flip looks good enough for me. The Max thing is a fracking brick IMO, no way I'd want to be saddled with that POS. Wifey-poo THINKS she wants it because her sisters convinced she was somehow 'missing out' tho she can't articulate just exactly what that is :rolleyes: It was free, so when it ends up in the junk drawer after she gets frustrated because she cannot work it (and I cannot play tech support), I'll just chuckle quietly & move on. It will be entertaining to see her flail at it rather then admit it was a mistake & she should have just taken the flip they offered ;)

Whatknot

1000 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ford Mustang GT convertible
I have a good plan, and its $59 / month.

Magnified

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC
I have six phones for around 200 a month. Unlimited talk / text / data. Had been a sprint for years, and they merged w t-maybe. Probably going to shift over to consumer cellular after mapping towers and coverage here and in new mexico.

OP
MikeD1

MikeD1

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #59
Coverage has been an issue here for 20 years. When we 1st moved in it was not a big deal & we figured it would improve over time - NOT !
Never got better unfortunately, we are in a thinly populated area that is slightly lower (like a tiny valley) + we are on the fringe of 2 towers. Doubt it will ever be addressed, just does not affect enough ppl.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Coverage has been an issue here for 20 years. When we 1st moved in it was not a big deal & we figured it would improve over time - NOT !
Never got better unfortunately, we are in a thinly populated area that is slightly lower (like a tiny valley) + we are on the fringe of 2 towers. Doubt it will ever be addressed, just does not affect enough ppl.

I'm within "glowing" distance of a cell tower. Doesn't do me squat good... I still have reception issues/dropped calls.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
fumanchu182 Wheels & Tires 22
K Off Topic Chat 21
T_Trahan44 General Automotive Discussions 42
vortecd Performance Tuning 6
rookerrobert Challenger SRT Hellcat Discussions 25
Matt someone with an SRT General Automotive Discussions 67
M Durango SRT Discussions 3
Old Mopar Guy Off Topic Chat 34
Hellcatcfp General Automotive Discussions 11
GBLWRMR Challenger General Discussions 27
AlleyCat Engine Performance 5