Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Help with CCW selection !

WhipCat

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
This post from @WhipCat helped my groupings significantly @ my last range outing. I gripped the gun as I had been, fired low & left (as usual). When I looked @ my thumbs, my left was at least 1.5" back from where my right finger was on the other side of the slide. Shifted my grip so they were even & saw an immediate improvement.
It will take more practice to 'naturally' grip the gun this way, but it clearly will pay off + it can be practiced @ home for zero $$ ;)
https://www.hellcatforum.org/threads/help-with-ccw-selection.6354/post-159647
thats great man. I’m glad the tip helped out, grip is very important when shooting. The grip is your bodies connection to the firearm. If it’s not aligned right it can cause all kinds of issues. Make sure to keep checking it all the time. Eventually it will become natural.

WhipCat

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Another exercise you can practice at the range is something I kinda made up. I call it the night stand drill.

start the drill off unloaded until your comfortable.

place the gun on the table in front of you.

out your hands by your sides or up in the surrender position. Doesn’t matter how.

then close your eyes, and insert a stress scenario in your head. Try and make yourself get nervous or increase heart rate.

open eyes, grab the gun off the table as rapidly as possible. And bring it up and shoot one shot.

Since your unloaded in the beginning it’s important to check your grip once the guns into position. If you don’t have proper grip, continue to redo the drill unloaded until you get proper grip. Keep practicing until you grip the weapon and bring to the firing position properly.

work your way up to a 3 shot group.

target should be very close. 10-15 feet max away.

all your shots should be in the grouping size of your fist when your proficient. Or the size of a CD.

practice this drill one handed and 2 handed. Become proficient at both.

this drill is helpful for when you wake up and you have to act fast and reach for the nightstand in an emergency. Or if your in a struggle and your weapon is on the floor and you have to pick it up to fire.

It’s a simple drill you can do at the range and it’s safe to do. And it doesn’t burn up ammo.

Speedy!

2000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
This grip improved my laser deal training as well. Plan to hit the range this weekend to see how it looks live fire.

Dad trained me on some close combat handgun techniques. The main one is from 3 feet away or less. Draw and shoot from the hip. The trick he taught me was to turn the firing hand slightly to like a 45° with the bottom of your firing hand against your side. This will line up the gun with center mass about 3 feet out. Can also practice this as though you have to put your non shooting hand up to hold them off, but I never practiced that with live ammo for obvious reasons.

WhipCat

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
This grip improved my laser deal training as well. Plan to hit the range this weekend to see how it looks live fire.

Dad trained me on some close combat handgun techniques. The main one is from 3 feet away or less. Draw and shoot from the hip. The trick he taught me was to turn the firing hand slightly to like a 45° with the bottom of your firing hand against your side. This will line up the gun with center mass about 3 feet out. Can also practice this as though you have to put your non shooting hand up to hold them off, but I never practiced that with live ammo for obvious reasons.
I have never fired from the hip before with live ammo. Like never all the way at the hip. I’ve fired from the stomach area and higher. But the hip. I think you need outdoors and a good berm to practice. Indoors I would be uncomfortable trying it

landoawd

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hillsborough
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
The local range gets ornery when you shoot their ceilings, walls, and target carriers. (I have not done this)

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Obviously I need more handgun training and practice - I have had a fair amount of range time, but need to work on some techniques such as this (and others mentioned in this thread)
Thanks

Speedy!

2000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Well you're not supposed to miss lol. I've done this several times never hit the ceiling or target hanger etc, but I a bit of dry fire practice before hand.

vortecd

7000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Shot off about 200 rounds today. I did have one hat didn't fire. I reloaded it and again it didn't fire. For me this is the 1st round I have come across. Everything else shot fine
20210224_162957.jpg 20210224_162911.jpg

Speedy!

2000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Pretty rare on a center fire cartridge but can happen. Bad primer more than likely.

22LR happens to me all the time.

WhipCat

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
OP
MikeD1

MikeD1

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #213
Shot off about 200 rounds today. I did have one hat didn't fire. I reloaded it and again it didn't fire. For me this is the 1st round I have come across. Everything else shot fine
I did have regular failures with the ZVS ammo my LGR was selling the beginning of last summer. Pretty much 2 per box were either FTF or FTE. Fortunately, the light loads that caused the FTE's had enough umph to exit the barrel. This happened with both their range guns & my 365. It was also some really dirty shooting ammo & I would never buy it again.

Also had a few FTF's and what looked like light strikes (hard primers ??) with some CCI I picked up on-line around the same time.

Thankfully, all of that is gone and I've had zero issues with the Sig & Federal ammo I've been using.

That would be a riot if there was somewhere you could just go bonkers like that :whistle:. Would need to be outdoors tho, in a building with steel girders like the clip the ricochets would probably kill you (literally !).

Speedy!

2000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Don't buy any Stryker, at least in BO 300. Mine hated it and filthy.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
View attachment 38500 View attachment 38501
If you have another 9mm I would try the round in another gun - I am wondering about a light strike... Just a thought.

vortecd

7000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
how did you shoot?
ok I still need some work. I'm having issues gripping the gun. I don't think I'm holding it tight enough with both hands. I have 4 mags so I normally shot each one at the corners per target

wednesday.jpg

vortecd

7000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If you have another 9mm I would try the round in another gun - I am wondering about a light strike... Just a thought.
I did have 2 with me and thought about it. Only did 4 mags in the 365. Did 11 in the M&P. I like the M&P better

vortecd

7000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Don't buy any Stryker, at least in BO 300. Mine hated it and filthy.
The bad one was in a box of 100 winchester that was bought about 5 years ago

WhipCat

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
ok I still need some work. I'm having issues gripping the gun. I don't think I'm holding it tight enough with both hands. I have 4 mags so I normally shot each one at the corners per target

View attachment 38543
to be honest your grouping are decently together. You only have 10 rounds outside the target zone. And they aren’t far off.

you can hit what your aiming at.

how often do you shoot?

from what I see you just need more trigger time. You might consider an instructor a couple times to watch your technique and give you some pointers. But your consistent which is good. Keep it up

vortecd

7000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
to be honest your grouping are decently together. You only have 10 rounds outside the target zone. And they aren’t far off.

you can hit what your aiming at.

how often do you shoot?

from what I see you just need more trigger time. You might consider an instructor a couple times to watch your technique and give you some pointers. But your consistent which is good. Keep it up
I went out 3 times at the end of January super bowl Sunday and today. I have a 30 day membership that is up Friday.
I have thought about getting an instructor. I want to take some more classes