Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Home Security Cameras

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States
Been a ‘Ring’ user for a while now. $100/year regardless of how many devices. Or amount of data.

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States
B80B0EAE-989E-4390-8F6B-04B793BFBAF0.png

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States
There’s crap everywhere. Stop talking about me behind my back. Tooooo many simultaneous projects.... and storing too many parts and tires. Ack.

DGatzby

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Now hold on speedy. I’m moving to the Lebanon/Mt. Juliet area next year do I gotta be worried about security cameras! I was hoping the AR would be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had lunch there yesterday! We may have a construction opportunity nearby, we thought that area was plenty good!

Again, the best info is right here on the Forum. Thanks @Speedy! for the thread. I am looking for cameras as our set from “Honeywell” are old and simply need updating. Wow, they better not charge much, that Ring deal is a BUNCH less expensive than my current plan with marginal old cameras.

Hpindy

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
For CCTV wireless and battery technology is not up to par yet in my opinion. I test models all the time and there ar still limitations or the cost to beef everything up is outrageous. It comes down to what do you want to see and how much do you want to spend .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

DGatzby

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
@Hpindy, should I hold off on any upgrades yet? The units I have are just adequate, but work. I want better resolution etc. but as with everything, we are evaluating stuff from satellite TV to this stuff to just cut back and tighten up the monthly commitments. A guy needs more tires and brakes and don’t want to work for the rest of his life!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat

Kwalski

Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I run Blue Iris and it is the best software I have ever used. I installed some Amcrest to begin with, great resolution, but the last few have been Reolink and that is now my goto camera. I found a older Dell server on marketplace, purchased and installed a large internal drive as a database storage. It is all on my private network, my private storage and I can see the cameras from anywhere, and have some control by cell phone through the Blue Iris app. I also went the POE route and ran all the cables myself to save money, bulk cable is cheap. I have a few indoor wireless cameras, they just need to be close to a power outlet. You will not be satisfied with battery cameras.
Work level to set it all up is moderate, but the satisfaction level that you get exactly what you want is priceless....and no cloud storage subscriptions. Blue Iris is like $60 first purchase and $40/year or so if you want to update.

Kwalski

Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I'm not completely happy with it, but I'm not aware of anything better.
They have recently started an every Friday online support sesssion. It is so powerful, it can become very confusing. I think they have a new youtube channel to show you how to set it up. I was doing some thing right and some things wrong, but after the new video help and chat sessions, my system is running much better with far fewer false alerts.

Hunter

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
I've been eyeballing a couple security cameras to place around the property. I had been waiting for wireless tech and battery tech to catch up and I think they have with 1 year battery life these days.

What I'm finding is the once free cloud storage is now a monthly service charge. Anyone have experience?
I use LOREX.
Just bought (upgrading to) a 8 camera setup.
No monthly fee. A hard drive that starts overwrites after so many days. Must have wi-fi to monitor thru phone though. Screenshot_20210113-160541.png

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #32
After a ton of reading today, it's sounding like the best bet may be wired power cameras that connect to the home network wirelessly. More research.

Hpindy

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
After a ton of reading today, it's sounding like the best bet may be wired power cameras that connect to the home network wirelessly. More research.
Wired is always best . You get the best quality , and price . Pulling in cables is not that difficult.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle

Like I said above, I was never happy with my wireless cameras. I think you'll be much happier with POE cameras

Hpindy

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
@Hpindy, should I hold off on any upgrades yet? The units I have are just adequate, but work. I want better resolution etc. but as with everything, we are evaluating stuff from satellite TV to this stuff to just cut back and tighten up the monthly commitments. A guy needs more tires and brakes and don’t want to work for the rest of his life!
If you want a wireless system then I would hold off . In my opinion it's just not up to par yet . There is a ton of options for wired cameras .

Hpindy

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Like I said above, I was never happy with my wireless cameras. I think you'll be much happier with POE cameras
POE or HDCVI cameras are a great bang for the buck too .

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
POE or HDCVI cameras are a great bang for the buck too .

I'm not familiar with HDCVI at all, I'll have to read up on them.

Hpindy

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I'm not familiar with HDCVI at all, I'll have to read up on them.
Some people list them as "high definition analog " because they can use Cat cable or coaxial cable but ther are nothing like the old analog stuff . They do need power from an external source . I always use Cat5E cable with Baluns on each end .

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Some people list them as "high definition analog " because they can use Cat cable or coaxial cable but ther are nothing like the old analog stuff . They do need power from an external source . I always use Cat5E cable with Baluns on each end .

You mean I wouldn't have to re-run all of that cable to upgrade?? Wow...

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #40
The ones I'm looking at now are 2.4/5ghz wireless for network and 12V for power. I'm trying to understand how the 12V works, perhaps wiring in a power strip in the attic solves that.

PoE "may" be tricky for me, as I'd have to run the ethernet cables across the attic, down a wall, and into a media closet. Doable, but I'm looking for a simpler solution.

Shot you an email @Hpindy