Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How Many Veterans Have Had A Bad Experience With The Veterans Administration: Tell Us Your Story

Bkuz

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
In the past few years I have had multiple severe health issues arise related to my military service. I decided to apply for extra disability from the Veterans Administration. The first one of my many medical appointments at the VA resulted in a cancellation. I live 50 miles away from the Tampa VA Compensation and Pension Office. The ride takes about 75 to 80 minutes in good traffic. If there is traffic or an accident it could take up to 120 minutes.

So, I am on my way to my appointment that is 8:00 AM. I have been driving for 80 minutes due to traffic. At 7:45 AM, I am about 5 minutes away from the Office, I get a phone call telling me that my appointment is cancelled. I was furious, I got up early and drove for 85 minutes. I still went to the VA Office and told them off. I also demanded travel pay. The attitude of the personnel at the Office was that it was no big deal that my appointment was cancelled. The VA treats veterans like shit and it makes it difficult to file claims and get benefits.

BKuz

Last edited:

Markp

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nobleton, Ontario
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
No good deed goes unpunished...:confused:

DGatzby

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Oh my. So 10-15 years ago I worked “downtown” and thought of commuting on our express bus service. They offer free rides to Disabled Veterans. But, you need the “card” they said from the VA. Okay, it was time for me to go to the big VA Center for the first time since my discharge etc. to get the “card”. Yep, sure! Let’s make this short.

1. They told me their “computer” here in Minneapolis at the VA Hospital/Center did not even contain my name in its database! Don’t matter I guess, that I get a letter from the VA each year and receive a check every month, huh?

2. About three hours later I departed the facility with a 12 page application that included everything about me including everything concerning my finances. I was told to bring that back for a consult after I completed it with one of their “doctors”.

Short story; screw that, I drove myself downtown for years. I have never returned to the VA Center in Minneapolis since. I enjoy my disability compensation check every month, even if I am not in their database! Can you believe that shit?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Olympia
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Hellcat
I only attempted to utilize the VA one time that was enough for me as I didn't want to have an episode and make all the media outlets going on a spree..... you'd figure with 22 years service and 7 years 22 days of combat time as a trigger puller you'd be treated with some respect an dignity...... not so in the Liberal PNW. It's truly fucked up Serving your country and knowing that you have to purchase outside healthcare just to feel at ease with your care and actually being treated as someone actually cares about your wellbeing both mentally an physically!!!!!!!

06SRT10NR

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Knobnation
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat M6
VA used to be excellent around here, when Strom Thurmond was still around. VA and local Army Med Center administrators were scared shitless, paranoid, not knowing who the senator might talk to while wandering the halls when he was in town. Never took more than two weeks for routine appointments. Now, six months if you're lucky, and quality of service is in the shitter
And just to make matters a bit more annoying, one or more of our congress critters snuck a change into the latest defense authorization bill, requiring us to pay a monthly fee for Tricare starting the end of this year [just got the letter yesterday - 9/11]