Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How much oil really… track results

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #121
I run E80-85 100% of the time. I send my oil out to Blackstone for analysis and it never comes back with fuel in the oil but I do notice the longer I run the oil my oil pressure drops about 5 psi at WOR, change the oil and it back up to 70-72 psi at WOT (maybe 1000 hard mikes on the oil) Something is thinning it out. Blackstone oil tests do not show a viscosity problem either. This next oil change I’m going to try Mobil 1 15W50 verses the 5W50 Amsoil Signature Synthetic I’ve been running. Mobil 1 15W50 tests very close to Valvoline VR 20W50 at 100 C but has better cold start flow abilities as the VR is like syrup when cold.

View attachment 110508
Yep, it definitely impacts the oil - not quite sure how. That’s why I’m really interested to see the oil/oil change intervals for the demon 170 when they’re released

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #122
The v6 flex fuel cars all call for a heavier weight, and it’s due to the e85

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
My buddy's Trackhawk had the stock fuel system like 99% of the folks out there. He wishes he'd just taken my advice now since it's pretty simple preventative maintenance, but to each their own. It did give him some warning that there was an issue. Kept stalling at red lights. I think he ran E85 straight for 3 years before the issues started.

I ran E85 most of last summer and when I put the 3rd pump in the fuel tank looked crystal clear. The E85 I get looks like water so I'm lucky there.

@Unholy707 I'm gonna have to go check those flex fuel vehicle manuals again. The only thing I saw was to run a tank of 93 at least once every oil change (I think that's what it said) but I didn't notice a variation in oil viscosity recommendation. I'll look that up tomorrow.

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #124
I’ll see if I can find it again, it was mentioned in length for the charger interceptor upfitter package for maintenance. This is from amsoil for the charger flex fuel (factory recommended weight)
IMG_0517.jpeg

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Let me say that he and his mechanic THINK it was the E85 that gummed up the fuel system based on the pictures. I asked him if he'd pissed off a neighbor and maybe someone sugared his gas tank. NO idea what that looks like, but his fuel system kinda pooped out gradually. He shoulda not been still getting on it until they figured it out but is what it is.

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #126
Let me say that he and his mechanic THINK it was the E85 that gummed up the fuel system based on the pictures. I asked him if he'd pissed off a neighbor and maybe someone sugared his gas tank. NO idea what that looks like, but his fuel system kinda pooped out gradually. He shoulda not been still getting on it until they figured it out but is what it is.
I always thought e85 gunk would be green/yellow, never actually seen it. I have been running e85 for about 4 years now, always from the pump - no gas in between. I’ll be pulling my pumps soon to replace the filters and check the fuel level floaters that’s getting hung up, I’ll report back. But I’ve had my rails on and off, swapped rails checked injectors and fuel feed line (all stock lines) and zero buildup of anything, no residue

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #127
The issue is on cold starts with these cars on e85, have to run them real rich in cold environments and that usually washes the cylinders. That and if you never let it get up to temp to burn off any fuel that does make it to the crank case

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #128
I run E80-85 100% of the time. I send my oil out to Blackstone for analysis and it never comes back with fuel in the oil but I do notice the longer I run the oil my oil pressure drops about 5 psi at WOR, change the oil and it back up to 70-72 psi at WOT (maybe 1000 hard mikes on the oil) Something is thinning it out. Blackstone oil tests do not show a viscosity problem either. This next oil change I’m going to try Mobil 1 15W50 verses the 5W50 Amsoil Signature Synthetic I’ve been running. Mobil 1 15W50 tests very close to Valvoline VR 20W50 at 100 C but has better cold start flow abilities as the VR is like syrup when cold.

View attachment 110508
Do you have any with e85 on your stock engine? I bet your ring gaps on the engine you built are a lot better than factory lol

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
People and their E85 fuel problems are full of shit. I have been running e85 back in 2007 same fuel lines on my GNX never changed. I have billet atamizer. Injectors. Never have had a problem Weldon 2345 fuel pump. I have areoquip starlight hose. 2 fuel filters. Again never had a problem. Car sat 3 years getting painted fired right up when I put engine back in.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
People and their E85 fuel problems are full of shit. I have been running e85 back in 2007 same fuel lines on my GNX never changed. I have billet atamizer. Injectors. Never have had a problem Weldon 2345 fuel pump. I have areoquip starlight hose. 2 fuel filters. Again never had a problem. Car sat 3 years getting painted fired right up when I put engine back in.
Agree, good fuel filters are mandatory with E and the key to not having issues. I’m pretty knew to E but Adding that Lucas green colored E85 Stabilizer you suggested a few years back helps to I think to keep fuel fresh as well. I have E99 that’s going to be 3 years old soon, 5 gallon metal cans filled to the brim with Lucas added and stored in a temperature stabile area.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Some people must do something wrong then. I've seen 4 cars personally have fuel system issues that were running E85. I'm not gonna say for certain the E85 caused the issues, but all were gumming up, sludge type problems. One was a twin turbo challenger, my buddy's Trackhawk and two cars at the TX mile a few years ago, one was a Mustang and I watched them fish the fuel socks outta the tank and they were covered in what appeared to be jello.

I've not had any issues what so ever in 3 years myself, but I've been checking things on the regular and running 93 a few times a year as I'm paranoid from what I did see. Like I said the E85 I have available is pristine from the pump brand I chose to buy from. In my testing of various brands around town all others were cloudy so that could be a factor.

I scanned through the Ford F150 owner's manual and can't find anything about changing oil viscosity for flex fuel, but does say run a tank of 93 once an oil change.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_05_2021.pdf

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
for those not able to run 93 due to injector size, you can run a Tank of Ethanol 1 R. This stuff tests as close to pure as you will get. it has amazing cleaning capabilites as well.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
for those not able to run 93 due to injector size, you can run a Tank of Ethanol 1 R. This stuff tests as close to pure as you will get. it has amazing cleaning capabilites as well.
93 Lubricates better than the drum fuel. Not a huge deal for your id1700s but the 2150s FIC says needs some lubrication either from 93 or something like sea foam. I've never tried running 93 through them but now that I make low boost maybe I will try it one day :ROFLMAO:

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #134
93 Lubricates better than the drum fuel. Not a huge deal for your id1700s but the 2150s FIC says needs some lubrication either from 93 or something like sea foam. I've never tried running 93 through them but now that I make low boost maybe I will try it one day :ROFLMAO:
100% correct on the 93, especially when it comes to the valves. I want to try the STP ethanol stabilizer @16GoManGoHC2 used - it’s supposed to have additional detergents in it for lubrication. This is also my theory as to why the 170 has different material for the valve guides - e85 does not lubricate as well as pump gasoline

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I watch this guy sometimes on the treadmill at the gym. He's been playing with pump E85 on a couple builds and called out something he found on engine tear down and related it to needing a solid PCV system to void moisture contamination. He's pretty knowledgeable and OCD with his stuff.

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #136
I watch this guy sometimes on the treadmill at the gym. He's been playing with pump E85 on a couple builds and called out something he found on engine tear down and related it to needing a solid PCV system to void moisture contamination. He's pretty knowledgeable and OCD with his stuff.

Yeah, I use a catch can that has a 1 way check valve. I have a breather with a ball valve. 100% need to keep the system sealed. If you get e85 in the crank case, it will attract moisture. That being said, didn’t have one until this year, had pan off and zero rust in cylinders or on anything, doesn’t mean the oil wasn’t contaminated with moisture, but it will burn off when it gets up to temp. You have to worry about the usual, ethanol floats on top of water, oil floats on top of water. You should run a bottle of heat through your tank to thoroughly mix the moisture in the tank and be able to burn it every now and then

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I was surprised to see his with the milky residue in the valve cover. It's a race truck though so not sure how often it got up to op temp.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I was surprised to see his with the milky residue in the valve cover. It's a race truck though so not sure how often it got up to op temp.
Last spring when it was still cold i was getting some water and milky stuff in the catch can. Once the temps warmed up it stopped

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #139
Last spring when it was still cold i was getting some water and milky stuff in the catch can. Once the temps warmed up it stopped
Pulled my can after 600 miles or so and track passes, had a few drops of oil that’s it, no milky moisture residue. That being said, my car is stored indoors, never sees below freezing. But I chalk it up to the breather on the driver valve cover. Releases any and all crank case pressure