Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How to get in trunk. Battery disconnected.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
No that will not work when the battery cables are disconnected. Cant jump a battery that isnt there cause a battery with cables detached is the same thing as having no battery there at all.
I don't see why the battery would have to be connected. The goal should be to put power to the electrical system (which can be done through the posts under the hood), not to the dead battery.

If anything, a discharged battery sometimes can't be "jump started" but can somehow absorb all the power. Then it would be much better if the battery was indeed disconnected.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I don't see why the battery would have to be connected. The goal should be to put power to the electrical system (which can be done through the posts under the hood), not to the dead battery.

If anything, a discharged battery sometimes can't be "jump started" but can somehow absorb all the power. Then it would be much better if the battery was indeed disconnected.

Internal resistance has gone through the roof from a dead cell within the battery.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Internal resistance has gone through the roof from a dead cell within the battery.
A couple of years ago I thought the starter in my Peterbilt had died, only getting a click from the solenoid. Somehow I deducted that it was actually battery related and tried jump starting it. Didn't work.

At that time it was running on three Group 31 Optimas out of four, as one had died a year earlier, and load testing them was easier said than done with all the beefy battery cables.in the box.

A friend came over with his HET, equipped with eight Group 31 batteries, and his very meaningful jumper cables. We could hear the 600-something hp diesel lose a few rpm when plugging the cables in, but...the Pete's starter still just clicked.

It turned out to be be one (of three) dead battery, but what we never did figure out is where all that energy went. Nothing got hot. Not the starter, none of the cables, and not the batteries. Best I can tell, a dead battery can become a rather large black hole for energy.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
The cell can literally become an "open", (opposite of a short).

Ten thousand amps into a wire connected to nothing... ...equals nothing...

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I get that, but there was an obvious load on the charging system, so energy was going into something.

The three batteries were in parallel, so I suppose the the two good ones could put a load on the charging system, but then I'd think that the starter would have worked.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Now my battery is dead thanks for jinxing it guys

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Now my battery is dead thanks for jinxing it guys

I got a Battery Tender for the first time since I've had my HC since Dec 2015 for Winter storage.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Youz whooz Unholly Uno. Spend $20 and purrchase a trickle dickle charger. Snot 2 bee confused with Georgez Dickle. Or, Dick Trickle. Butt purrrchase 1.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
M
I got a Battery Tender for the first time since I've had my HC since Dec 2015 for Winter storage.
ine still has the original 2015 battery

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I have one just never use it. Battery died a few weeks ago from leaving burn box and movi2 plugged in. Charged it just enough to start it to pull it outside to wash it and then pulled it back in. Started and pulled it out today but left door open for 5 minutes. Guess that was enough to do it. Guess it’s going to have to stay on the charger smh

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Started and pulled it out today but left door open for 5 minutes. Guess that was enough to do it.
Could've been much worse. Some people could've left three more doors open.