Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How would I convince the wife I need a Red Eye?

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I just want to preface this by saying this is just a thought and probably won’t happen as my logical side says don’t do it. Bringing it up to my wife would be sketchy at best.
I have a 2016 Tor Red Challenger Hellcat I bought new. I’m still crazy about the car. It’s still like new with only 7000 miles. I was goofing around on the Dodge sight and built out a Gomango Challenger Red Eye Widebody and figure I may be able to get one for around what I paid for my 16 which was Sticker around $68,000. I’m pretty sure after discounts I may be able to get the new for about the same. Assuming I could get $50 for my near perfect 2016 that would leave $20,000 I would have to come up with. Then over $4000 for tax. We have the money Ir I could make payments. Trying to convince my wife who I will have to say is my greatest asset would be no small feat. She is frugal to say the least. She is someone who gets mad if I buy her anything for her birthday. All she wants is a nice dinner. All of this is just mental masturbation at this point and probably will never happen. I’m just curious how you guys deal with your better half’s? I know she is right in the long run but car enthusiasts are not logical in our decision making.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Your wife sounds exactly like my ex-wife. 😂

I have no words of advice except..."Good Luck". After I bought my C5 in 1998, my wife and I never bought another vehicle together. I bought mine. She bought hers. Obviously we kept each other in the loop, but there were no hard sells or permissions to be asked.

RedEye19FL

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradenton
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 TorRed Challenger RedEye
As the saying goes, "life is short". Just do it and enjoy the monster. I did!!

OP
Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
Your wife sounds exactly like my ex-wife. 😂

I have no words of advice except..."Good Luck". After I bought my C5 in 1998, my wife and I never bought another vehicle together. I bought mine. She bought hers. Obviously we kept each other in the loop, but there were no hard sells or permissions to be asked.
My ex wife would have told me to just do it but we were broke. Now with my current wife of 16 years we are not broke and we are very happy. There is a lot to be said for that.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
You need to get her in what she wants first. In my case that would be a Hellcat Durango. Needless to say its gonna be a while before I'm in a redeye lol. Next up we really are shooting for at least a Durango SRT, she's been wanting one even before they came out. Now that they have the Hellcat Durango, Oh Lord we have some work cut out for us.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
My ex wife would have told me to just do it but we were broke. Now with my current wife of 16 years we are not broke and we are very happy. There is a lot to be said for that.
Tis better to be rich and miserable...than broke and miserable

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Nice posting and your a good husband which I have my challenges to say the least in buying new things lol. And it’s all about our health as we progress and happy wife happy life no doubt. It’s definitely hard to hang out on this site and see all the latest cars and not be tempted. I can tell you honestly the difference in cars since I have owned both and is it worth it. I had the 16 HC Challenger and now the 19 RE and only because of the huge discount. Otherwise I would not have gotten the RE and is the fun factor a huge difference absolutely not. In fact my new Charger HC has in 2 weeks 2k miles and my RE now 6 months old has 2100 miles. My new Charger is a total blast and it ain’t the WB nor more power. The bust loose at any moment is awesome which you lose that with the WB which kinda makes her feel slower since she just hooks and does not slide around ad easily. If it’s all about the looks I understand but at the end of the day what you have is just as bad ass as anything new. And it’s not that radical of a difference to argue over a material object. Summing it up I hope you get what you want and or come to terms of what’s best for you and your wife supports.
Love my Charger
082A3312-4E64-4564-AE65-B6E9F1141A24.jpeg

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
I wish you luck... :)

In my family it's the wife who has the sickness and me who has to keep her under control. She tells me I can buy whatever I want for my car as long as there is one for her car when it arrives. :eek:

OP
Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
Nice posting and your a good husband which I have my challenges to say the least in buying new things lol. And it’s all about our health as we progress and happy wife happy life no doubt. It’s definitely hard to hang out on this site and see all the latest cars and not be tempted. I can tell you honestly the difference in cars since I have owned both and is it worth it. I had the 16 HC Challenger and now the 19 RE and only because of the huge discount. Otherwise I would not have gotten the RE and is the fun factor a huge difference absolutely not. In fact my new Charger HC has in 2 weeks 2k miles and my RE now 6 months old has 2100 miles. My new Charger is a total blast and it ain’t the WB nor more power. The bust loose at any moment is awesome which you lose that with the WB which kinda makes her feel slower since she just hooks and does not slide around ad easily. If it’s all about the looks I understand but at the end of the day what you have is just as bad ass as anything new. And it’s not that radical of a difference to argue over a material object. Summing it up I hope you get what you want and or come to terms of what’s best for you and your wife supports.
Love my Charger
View attachment 11785
That’s very good info and I’m glad to know the difference with the Redeye is not that different. I like the May break loose at anytime aspect of my Hellcat. It’s light having control of your own wild beast without ever having true control of it!

OP
Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
You need to get her in what she wants first. In my case that would be a Hellcat Durango. Needless to say its gonna be a while before I'm in a redeye lol. Next up we really are shooting for at least a Durango SRT, she's been wanting one even before they came out. Now that they have the Hellcat Durango, Oh Lord we have some work cut out for us.
My wife is not a performance enthusiast at all. She is happy just putting along in her Subaru. She has Never been a pedal to the floor type.

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
My wife says if that's what makes you happy then do it. For cars atleast.

Last edited:

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
Same boat here actually. Right down to the perfect 2016 that I love with 7000 miles lol. Been getting that itch again after four yrs. Wife keeps asking why I need another one. Which is when I actually say out loud like a child who saw a toy in the store window, “i dont need one, i want one”. In the end she would be ok with it im sure, but i do feel it would be kind of selfish. We arent loaded and the current Hellcat is a perfect car. Hard to justify it to her considering a RE is not even all that different from the Hellcat in our garage. So far ive resisted.
Your situation sounds similar.
In the end only you know if that itch is getting so bad that you need retail therapy - and forgiveness.

Last edited:

RedEye19FL

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradenton
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 TorRed Challenger RedEye
That’s very good info and I’m glad to know the difference with the Redeye is not that different. I like the May break loose at anytime aspect of my Hellcat. It’s light having control of your own wild beast without ever having true control of it!
I, myself, found a big difference between my '18 Challenger Hellcat NB and my '19 RedEye WB. The handling is better (it feels more solid on the road) and the acceleration is stronger, especially around 70 mph. It is worth it to me!

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
I dont see you getting $50k on trade for your 16. Id say more like $42-45k, but you never know till you try. If selling outright yeah maybe but it will probably take a while. Discuss it with her seriously as if you want it, not like "you were thinking about it" and she where she stands. Then go from there. Cutting her out will just piss her off and then it becomes that much harder if not impossible.

You never know. I traded my (then) wife's 04 Honda Pilot for an 06 Trailblazer SS. She was against it and complained about the truck forever. We divorced 4 years later. 15 years later (now my ex) and she admitted a bit ago that was her favorite vehicle she ever owned and misses it. She just complained because she didnt want to admit she was wrong. Wimmin.....

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
In my world, this is easy, as long as you approach the problem from a "specifications" perspective... (Money, reality and love aside)

The upgrade in components and added tech make for not only a faster car, but also a more RELIABLE car.

Half-shafts stronger
Diff alloy
Driveshaft stronger
Engine internals
Higher rpm
Added tech (chillers, etc)
Power
Tire patch
Interior upgrades
Warranty on a Demon in disguise

You're welcome

;)

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
In my world, this is easy, as long as you approach the problem from a "specifications" perspective... (Money, reality and love aside)

The upgrade in components and added tech make for not only a faster car, but also a more RELIABLE car.

Half-shafts stronger
Diff alloy
Driveshaft stronger
Engine internals
Higher rpm
Added tech (chillers, etc)
Power
Tire patch
Interior upgrades
Warranty on a Demon in disguise

You're welcome

;)
So, are you going to do it Bull? It has me thinking and the wife said keep them both.:love:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
So, are you going to do it Bull? It has me thinking and the wife said keep them both.:love:

Mine said the same exact thing. She doesn't let on much but she loves the Hellcat, and knows I love the M6, so she said keep it.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I just want to preface this by saying this is just a thought and probably won’t happen as my logical side says don’t do it. Bringing it up to my wife would be sketchy at best.
I have a 2016 Tor Red Challenger Hellcat I bought new. I’m still crazy about the car. It’s still like new with only 7000 miles. I was goofing around on the Dodge sight and built out a Gomango Challenger Red Eye Widebody and figure I may be able to get one for around what I paid for my 16 which was Sticker around $68,000. I’m pretty sure after discounts I may be able to get the new for about the same. Assuming I could get $50 for my near perfect 2016 that would leave $20,000 I would have to come up with. Then over $4000 for tax. We have the money Ir I could make payments. Trying to convince my wife who I will have to say is my greatest asset would be no small feat. She is frugal to say the least. She is someone who gets mad if I buy her anything for her birthday. All she wants is a nice dinner. All of this is just mental masturbation at this point and probably will never happen. I’m just curious how you guys deal with your better half’s? I know she is right in the long run but car enthusiasts are not logical in our decision making.
My question is can you really get 50K for the current car? Other than that, I think you're dead on. If you're willing to wiggle on the color and options you could probably get RE for $55,000 at old Koons over there.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I agree with the above statements, you're not getting $50k for your car unless you really overpay for the new one.

Also... I think the real question is to whether or not your wife will know the difference between Tor Red and GoMango...

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
If the above does not work just tell her your girlfriend likes the Redeye better. If you word it right, you may never have to ask permission for anything ever again.