Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

HPtuners Question and Answer Thread

Trader history for ostmike (0)

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
I realize we do not post here often but have been thinking about how to support this community that has supported us over the last 15 years.
I decided to start this thread and make an attempt to monitor it first thing each morning between the time I do my remote tuning and and before heading to the shop.
I will make my best effort to answer any HPtuners (VCMEditor/VCMScanner) related questions that you may have or any basic tuning questions that come up.

I do not consider myself to be the only one able to answer questions here even though if it is in our vendor forum.
If another tuner or individual feels comfortable responding please do so.
Just keep in mind that there is more than one way "to skin a cat" so response may differ and many may be correct.

Ask away!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Sub'd I'll be collecting my questions and posting them up.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
So Ive learned a lot from what your tunes have taught me, my research on the HP Tuners and the great wisdom in these forums. Is there a set of topics you won’t discuss? I realize and hope everyone else realizes at the end of the day you are a shop that makes money from your knowledge so if there is secret sauce I understand and we appreciate your support. Gathering my questions as well.

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
OK ill start
#1 is there a hp version that doesn't have to be on the internet to program the pcm?
#2 my friend has a mpvi2+ that wont Bluetooth to my iphone or his android anymore, any ideas

OP
ostmike

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
So Ive learned a lot from what your tunes have taught me, my research on the HP Tuners and the great wisdom in these forums. Is there a set of topics you won’t discuss? I realize and hope everyone else realizes at the end of the day you are a shop that makes money from your knowledge so if there is secret sauce I understand and we appreciate your support. Gathering my questions as well.
For the most part there is not too much that I would not share.
I appreciate your understanding that we are a business and have devoted many man hours troubleshooting and resolving various issues experienced when modifying the Gen3 Hemi platform.
An example of the type of information I would be hesitant to post would be something similar to when the 4.5 Whipple SC was released for the Hellcats there was an issue with "Limp Mode". I had an inordinate amount of time (too many days) on the dyno and street developing a resolution. In the past I would often receive emails stating "My car is already tuned by another tuner and runs great with the exception that it goes into limp mode all the time. I don't want to pay for another tune, can you tell my tuner how to fix the limp mode issue?". I offer the resolution when you purchase a tune from me. I believe most tuners now how to resolve this issue now but you get the idea.

OP
ostmike

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
OK ill start
#1 is there a hp version that doesn't have to be on the internet to program the pcm?
#2 my friend has a mpvi2+ that wont Bluetooth to my iphone or his android anymore, any ideas
I do not believe the requirement for internet connectivity is based on the version of the HPTuners software.
My experience is that it is related to the model year of the vehicle.
I believe that 2018 and newer FCA vehicles require actual internet connectivity to write a tune file and 2019 and newer GM's.
The "Internet" line may appear on 2017 and older FCA vehicles when attempting a write but you can write without internet connectivity.

Unfortunately I am too old school and prefer a hard wire.
I have not attempted a bluetooth connection from an MPVI device to my phone and probably never will.
With a car on the dyno or making a pass at the track the data is too critical for me to risk losing it.
Sorry that I can't help with this one.

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
OK ill start
I do not believe the requirement for internet connectivity is based on the version of the HPTuners software.
My experience is that it is related to the model year of the vehicle.
I believe that 2018 and newer FCA vehicles require actual internet connectivity to write a tune file and 2019 and newer GM's.
The "Internet" line may appear on 2017 and older FCA vehicles when attempting a write but you can write without internet connectivity.

Unfortunately I am too old school and prefer a hard wire.
I have not attempted a bluetooth connection from an MPVI device to my phone and probably never will.
With a car on the dyno or making a pass at the track the data is too critical for me to risk losing it.
Sorry that I can't help with this one.
I would recommend a Bluetooth update through the tdn app. It’s under tools.
If that doesn’t work you can reset factory reset the device. I forget how off the top of my head. I’ll have to look.
Also I have seen a phone update required in some cases

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I would recommend a Bluetooth update through the tdn app. It’s under tools.
If that doesn’t work you can reset factory reset the device. I forget how off the top of my head. I’ll have to look.
Also I have seen a phone update required in some cases
I was experiecing a bluethooth connection issue after an iphone update. @Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC recommended the bluethooth update via the TDN app and it resolved my issue immediately. Good luck.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Have used the TDN app/Bluetooth connection with the MPVi2+ device and my I-Phone. The phone has used its cellular connection to the internet (HP Tuner server for authorization etc.) and has loaded several different tunes right at the track.

Yes, it is all very particular that all the Phone and HP Tuner updates and sync are rock solid and current.

Great thread @ostmike

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'd be nervous trusting a tune write over bluetooth. If something goes wrong you could brick the pcm and be stuck.

I tried logging with Bluetooth and it would drop data.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
My big question is how do you see your run data when using the RTD ?

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I'd be nervous trusting a tune write over bluetooth. If something goes wrong you could brick the pcm and be stuck.

I tried logging with Bluetooth and it would drop data.
It does not do a write over Bluetooth. The rtd or mpvi has built in storage. From your phone you send the package to the rtd or mpvi. The device extracts it and then writes the data.
My big question is how do you see your run data when using the RTD ?
Rtd has its own program called rtd flasher and you can write tunes from a laptop

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
What does the table 44387 "Desired Throttle Large Range" do? Mike you made an adjustment to this when we were dialing in the 2.7L supercharger and it seemed to really smooth out the throttle unless it was my imagination.

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Another question. I have a diablo suspension controller, and after the second tune flash it started with the active damper issue. Tried to connect and would not communicate. Sent it back to diablo and they sent me a new one. On their diagnostic form it said corrupted software. Should this be unplugged during a tune change, or is a big coincidence?

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Another question. I have a diablo suspension controller, and after the second tune flash it started with the active damper issue. Tried to connect and would not communicate. Sent it back to diablo and they sent me a new one. On their diagnostic form it said corrupted software. Should this be unplugged during a tune change, or is a big coincidence?
I have the Diablo suspension controller in both of my cars. I’ve never had a issue loading Diablo or HP tunes.

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
I have the Diablo suspension controller in both of my cars. I’ve never had a issue loading Diablo or HP tunes.
Controller was 14 months old, They took care of it no charge. I just dont want this to happen again. Thanks

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Now just one thing that may cause pause with regard to that suspension controller. Love it, but twice last year mine needed replaced. First time they said it was the trickle charger all winter, okay. Then for no reason late in the season after I flipped tunes a few times, and nothing else, it went bye-bye again. I probably will not let it sit connected to the car during tune writing anymore. Since it is just a quick change out, I’m using the Mopar controller during any PCM/TCM writes. The new one rests peacefully in its box until the car is on the road soon, I hope. That is going to be a PIA at the track if I change my tune, but it is a PIA without it and sending one back and forth to DS. It would suck if it blows at a track weekend! Because it has great benefits to controlling that suspension better and different. I like it a lot!

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Controller was 14 months old, They took care of it no charge. I just dont want this to happen again. Thanks
I was one of the first customers to buy the controller and so far no issues. Are you getting some visual indication of a failure?

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
I was one of the first customers to buy the controller and so far no issues. Are you getting some visual indication of a failure?
No, it worked great for 14 months, had my pcm unlocked and installed a tune. Next morning went out to the car and service active damper was on the dash. Would not change settings. I think Im with DGatzby on this one. Im gonna unplug it on a write

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
No, it worked great for 14 months, had my pcm unlocked and installed a tune. Next morning went out to the car and service active damper was on the dash. Would not change settings. I think Im with DGatzby on this one. Im gonna unplug it on a write
Thanks for sharing.