Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

I have found through exhaustive studies

recurveman

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smithton
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat WB
I had driven 3 or 4 MaxWedge that were not a stage 3 and they were very fast. This stage 3 light weight was a monster. I think I remember someone saying it was 13 1/2 comp. It was an auto trans. It shook the ground when it started and when put into gear, it raised up about 3 inches like a cat ready to rumble. The sound was unforgetable. Nasty. I grew up in a magic era ( early '60s ) and we had places to open up these cars. We hung out at hamberger stands and bullshited and raced. Cops didn't bother us that much. I consider myself blessed to have lived that. :cool:
It was amazing how every hamburger joint and drive-in restaurant was the meeting place for everyone who had a car. So many street races originated from these places. And you’re right; not much interference from the law. What great times they were. Couldn’t get away with that today.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Very high strung car for the day, everyone said it was a hand full, Including Tom Hover. I read an article that was by Mr Hemi himself stating in an interview with a car mamazine that he and another engineer had taken out a Max for a street test at Highland park. On return back to engineering he said he nailed it turning from Oakland ave going into the main entrance and kinda lost it, no damage but said it shook him up a bit. If anyone knows of this article please post up. I have previously searched and can’t dig it back up I would probably have to pour through many old mopar magazines to retrieve.That one stuck with me, the Max shaking up Hoover. Kinda like Frankenstein turning on the creator.
This may be of interest: https://www.allpar.com/threads/tom-hoover-the-father-of-the-hemi.229379/

Also: https://www.allpar.com/threads/recollections-of-a-ramcharger-part-one.229232/#post-1085223330

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Thanks for Sharing
All great reading material, I realize our cars have far more power now, but that was a time when style, performance, and racing was at the center of the American love affair with Detroit metal. Win on Sunday sell on Monday was core. Even if you couldn’t afford that twin AFB carb Hemi powered car the base 318 model would sell better, just by win on Sunday.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #44
I drove a Duece and a Half army truck through the 1/4 at 34.9. Think the speed was 42 mph.
That's awesome! - but was it still army property at that point?

recurveman

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smithton
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
One more tidbit. Today there are delays of cars being built becaise of micro processor chip shortages. When I ordered my ‘70 challenger I waited 13 weeks for it because Holley was on strike and they supplied the three deuces for the 440!

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
I had driven 3 or 4 MaxWedge that were not a stage 3 and they were very fast. This stage 3 light weight was a monster. I think I remember someone saying it was 13 1/2 comp. It was an auto trans. It shook the ground when it started and when put into gear, it raised up about 3 inches like a cat ready to rumble. The sound was unforgetable. Nasty. I grew up in a magic era ( early '60s ) and we had places to open up these cars. We hung out at hamberger stands and bullshited and raced. Cops didn't bother us that much. I consider myself blessed to have lived that. :cool:
That unforgettable sound was due to ultra high compression I think in flavors from 11.5:1 up to 13.5:1 some up to 300 + degree duration special cam, with factory Tri Y cast headers good luck if your tying to find a pair of those, very very few left on planet earth, very few made originally. Those were just before production end to usher in the Hemi head over wedge. Oh let’s not forget the square block off plate to make use of quick open headers, Pre electric Zoomies. And for factory lightweight delete radio, heater delete, lexan windows, remove the widow crank regulator, who needs to roll window up and down, delete sound deadening, let’s give the some bitch a acid dip while we are at it to reduce weight.

Some of these cars still race, with a good set of modern slicks, all else factory, those cars can go. Tire technology has improved immensely over the decades. Keep in mind they had about 425 horse, but were about 1,000 lbs lighter than our modern rides, and had great transfer of weight.

Last edited:

recurveman

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smithton
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Some things never change.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
One more tidbit. Today there are delays of cars being built becaise of micro processor chip shortages. When I ordered my ‘70 challenger I waited 13 weeks for it because Holley was on strike and they supplied the three deuces for the 440!
Holley 2300 series, best performance multi cart set up, of 60 and early 70s. The 427tri power vete used it too. Great carb Set up cruise around on. I think a small 350 cfm center carb, put your foot into it and both outboards when opened could supply anther 500 (each) total of 1350 cfm. Totally forgiving for grocery getting or getting down to busines. Lots of people fiddled with the vacume secondary spring rates, it seems they didn’t like the small delay. Very few fiddlers could improve on it.

Bet wait was worth it for a 70 six pack Challenger.

recurveman

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smithton
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Holley 2300 series, best performance multi cart set up, of 60 and early 70s. The 427tri power vete used it too. Great carb Set up cruise around on. I think a small 350 cfm center carb, put your foot into it and both outboards when opened could supply anther 500 (each) total of 1350 cfm. Totally forgiving for grocery getting or getting down to busines. Lots of people fiddled with the vacume secondary spring rates, it seems they didn’t like the small delay. Very few fiddlers could improve on it.

Bet wait was worth it for a 70 six pack Challenger.
Absolutely the wait was worth it. I raced some at Keystone Raceway in Pa but mostly on the street. No one ever beat that car. Yenko Chevy was from the Pittsburgh area and I ran a few of their Prodigies. The Chevy boys were always holier than thou and the Mustang crowd back then always were in third place. The top end Mopars ruled the roost.