Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

I think I need a new drivers seat cover on my Redeye

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Headed to work this morning and it's a nice day so I decided to drive Ol' Red. I'm tooling down the 4-lane concrete road in the right lane doing around 60. There's a pickup chillin' on my left flank and we're both coming up on a slow car in my lane. I should just ease back, let the truck go by and fall in behind him.....right? Aw f@(& it, I have much horsepowers so I'll floor it and squirt around the slow car. Easy peasy.

Stand on the gas and instantly the car turns left lol. Not just a little wiggle, I'm talking "back end is passing the front end" kinda coming around turning the car towards the pickup's lane and of course the center wall. .

o_O

Thank God for years of driving Dirt Modifieds. Without even thinking about it, got the ol' girl under control and kept going....but good grief I wasn't expecting that at ALL. The tires on the car today are the stock 305 Pirelli summer tire, but it's 50 degrees out. I'm sure that combined with the extra power the motor is making in this air contributed to the fun, but breaking them loose at 60? I'd have bet against that.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Guess I'll go home and change my shorts lol

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Time for tires! Glad you pulled out of it!

If you think you're gambling on Pirelli Summers at 50 degrees, I've been on their all seasons since I bought the car...talk about useless.

Will be deciding which way to go with tires while my cat hibernates this winter. I will drive on my factory all seasons until they throw salt here in PA. Have to research wheels and tires, decide how wide, then find the right vendor.

I guess you'll be doing the same, HRJ. Keep us posted. And I thought I'd be reading about a Katskinz install ...well, maybe I still will if you were poopeepants :oops::oops::oops:

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Headed to work this morning and it's a nice day so I decided to drive Ol' Red. I'm tooling down the 4-lane concrete road in the right lane doing around 60. There's a pickup chillin' on my left flank and we're both coming up on a slow car in my lane. I should just ease back, let the truck go by and fall in behind him.....right? Aw f@(& it, I have much horsepowers so I'll floor it and squirt around the slow car. Easy peasy.

Stand on the gas and instantly the car turns left lol. Not just a little wiggle, I'm talking "back end is passing the front end" kinda coming around turning the car towards the pickup's lane and of course the center wall. .

o_O

Thank God for years of driving Dirt Modifieds. Without even thinking about it, got the ol' girl under control and kept going....but good grief I wasn't expecting that at ALL. The tires on the car today are the stock 305 Pirelli summer tire, but it's 50 degrees out. I'm sure that combined with the extra power the motor is making in this air contributed to the fun, but breaking them loose at 60? I'd have bet against that.

I’ve broke loose at 80 before did the same thing. It’s pretty scary. Without experience my charger would have bit the dust. Tried going wot through an underpass but didn’t see at the front the Rain runoff from the gutters. Was a big mistake. Fortunately after 3 back and forths with the wheel I got it under control. Right as it was happening I was just literally like.. No F***ing way.. I’m not smashing like this.. heh. Almost sideswiped a guy in a Cherokee a lane to my right. I was in the left.. of course when it broke loose my ass end went left and the front right.. you have to be so on top of it when it happens.. a split second correction timed right makes all the difference between being totaled and/or getting it back under control and carrying on with a lesson learned.

OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #4
This should fix it

0C4EB6F6-79CC-4C5F-A152-177C4E564703.jpeg 02A19969-C97A-4ACE-A234-F2CB8FA6BCF6.jpeg

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

o_O

Yep.
Standard "Cause / Effect" with these awesome vehicles.
Change lanes while stomping gas causes rear of vehicle to try and pass front.

OP
HRJ

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Thread Starter #6
Yep.
Standard "Cause / Effect" with these awesome vehicles.
Change lanes while stomping gas causes rear of vehicle to try and pass front.
I hadn't even tugged the steering wheel left when it happened. Just mashed it.

Edit - I'll also add that this is my 2nd Hellcat and I'm not known to be scared to grab throttle. Tires have less than 7K on them with lots of tread depth.I really think the low temps on those summer tires turned them into hockey pucks.

Last edited:

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
We don't get all that much really cold weather here, but I've found those Pirelli Summers start to get slick when the temp dips under 60.
The Conti Extreme Contacts DW (summer version of the popular DWS) I had on my last car seemed to do much better at least until things dipped below 50.

The Max

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toms River
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Who would have thought that at 60 mph, step on the throttle and go into an oversteer situation. Too much Fun!

Luckily your driving experience saved you from an embarrassing day, and maybe you need depends next time. J/K