Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Intake Air Temperatures

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
So I'm consistently seeing 140+ on my intake air temp after the car is warmed up or after the first trip of the day, and then it just stays hot. Car still seems to run pretty strong even with that, but one thing I am noticing is my car will not wind all the way to redline, seems to be shifting in the 5700 rpm at WOT most of the time, only occasionally will I see it wind to 6k+. Was going to try 100 octane gas this weekend to see if that will make the knock sensors happier, but do you think it's not giving me full advance on the timing and not all the RPMs due to the car thinking it's drinking 140+ degree air? Outdoor temperatures have been in the 80s the last few days. I drive around a lot in D but use the paddle shifters which is supposed to force the car to shift at redline when you floor it, but not before...I have tried driving in track mode a little and the power chiller does kick in drawing that intake temp down to 115-120 pretty quick, but I hate how it forces the A/C on and blows very hot air into the cabin. Thanks for any help, just had the car 2 1/2 weeks and only have about 700 miles on it so just figuring it out and have been exploring the performance over the past few days...

I am going to try to drag race on Saturday and I want the car to run well, which it does, I just don;t think it's giving me everything. I do live at ~5500 feet and 91 octane Shell is the best pump gas I can get which is all I run.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Eric, when the chiller is on, you will see the S/C coolant temp decrease. It won't effect the intake air temp reading, however as you know when the air passes through the cooler S/C temperature it has a positive effect.

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #3
Ok, will check that S/C temp, so many easter eggs on this car! I just finally set up my own custom drive mode yesterday LOL How do you have yours set up?

Do you get the same intake temps as I do? Like 140+ after you drive, shut it off, and then drive again maybe 30 minutes later??? Once it's hot, it seems like it's stuck up ther efor the rest of the day...

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I usually drive in all defaults. Matter of fact most of my quickest 0-60’s are all just done in defaults. The only things I do on the street is sometimes to play with Sport and Track tranny. I am full Track mode on the road courses. Unless the streets are as smooth as the fastest concrete on earth like BIR that track suspension is a tooth rattler!

That intake temp gets cooler once I go in motion. Unless it is real hot there (maybe it still is there) that should cool off some.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I usually drive in all defaults. Matter of fact most of my quickest 0-60’s are all just done in defaults. The only things I do on the street is sometimes to play with Sport and Track tranny. I am full Track mode on the road courses. Unless the streets are as smooth as the fastest concrete on earth like BIR that track suspension is a tooth rattler!

That intake temp gets cooler once I go in motion. Unless it is real hot there (maybe it still is there) that should cool off some.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Mine runs about 40 degrees over ambient tooling around and can get to as much as 60 degrees above ambient just sitting in traffic still.

IAT has no impact on RPM shift point. In the Redeye the factory shift points are closer to 6400 RPM than 6000, however shift points are sooner in lower gears like 1,2, and 3 so if you've been checking in those areas you won't see redline.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
It should start cooling off there real soon. In take, like mentioned above, will not move much. Here in Fl it want move much of all. Just plane hot. Chiller temp can be played with.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Mine runs about 40 degrees over ambient tooling around and can get to as much as 60 degrees above ambient just sitting in traffic still.

IAT has no impact on RPM shift point. In the Redeye the factory shift points are closer to 6400 RPM than 6000, however shift points are sooner in lower gears like 1,2, and 3 so if you've been checking in those areas you won't see redline.
and checking 4 through 8 on the street will have you reviewing your datalogs with your lawyer.

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
Run a Dyno log from the performance pages, you can review it after. Keeps your eyes on the road and I bet you’ll see it shifting where you want. Make sure you turn on the rpm points.

JDG

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ph
State
AL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
My IAT's are in your range. Had a friend mention a possible air pocket in the S/C coolant and to try to bleed it better. Im going to do that myself to see if it makes a difference. To add some data points, Mine is a aftermarket supercharger with a larger heat exchanger.

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #11

Ok thanks Speedy, gives me some reassurance that my car is behaving and I don’t have a problem. I’m a bit bummed it won’t wind first gear all the way out, I have seen it rip past 6k rpms though when it was hooking really well on the 2-3 shift. I daily drive with drag radials so I can use a lot of the car’s power. It still does spin them but they grab pretty good most of the time.if I’m on good pavement.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #12
Just made a pass, DA is 7800, surface elev is 5350. I’m running in the 11.5 class, car ran great! I have 275/40 R 20s Mickey Thompsons on stock rims. Threw 5 gallons of 100 octane unleaded in it. It weighs 4400 even with a half tank. 700 miles on it.

Attachments

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Now I can say "Congratulations on the new Redeye"...since you didn't break it.
Yet.

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #14
Now I can say "Congratulations on the new Redeye"...since you didn't break it.
Yet.
Being that I can’t make full stock power here at elevation I should not break it...at least that’s what I’m going to tell myself. :)

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You call that measly 5,400 "elevation"???
You really need to come up here and drive a bit. What you lose in power you can make up for with twisty roads.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Wow it’s crazy the density altitude you guys deal with

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Yeah, but on the positive side, it's all downhill from here.

firedude

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
YUMA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

Mine will actually bounce off the limiter 1st to second and a couple times 2nd to third with trans in sport or track. It is not consistent though. I realize it is not supposed to do this. Definitely not going to give it to my dealer to drive the crap out of it and then say they could not get it to do it. One dealer town and I do not trust them with my car.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Eric, you obviously made it back.
What broke? Nothing, I hope, but was expecting an update.

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #20
Eric, you obviously made it back.
What broke? Nothing, I hope, but was expecting an update.
Well I broke out if that's any consellation ;)

1.59 60 foot, 7.2 1/8 mile 11.46 on the brakes! Class I was in was 11.50 and I thought I was going to go rounds...hopefully better next time.

I was down to 95 mph so I think I was on my way to a 11.3 easy, maybe 11.2!

Car was running great at the track, I couldn't watch my shift points but it was winding out real near to...if not at...redline. I was running the same times and speeds as a modded Hellcat with 720 to the wheels!