Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Jailbroken?

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Maybe, maybe not.
Dodge could be calling the muffler delete Tuning.I think most of us would call it a mod.......ummmmm.....kind of a cheap mod for such an expensive car.

The article also stated “They pulled the computer and clearly see it was a faulty engine lost compression and was their fault. From what Dodge told the dealer yesterday, they said this is not the first 2023 this happened.”

This is like I can't remember his name who had a CAI on and had to prove it didn't blow his engine........and he did.

Being on the forum where Dodge has people watching is a good place to post about it.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
I bought the extended warranty for my 2022 SS and I even have the dealer change the oil for this reason! Goes in every six months regardless of miles for them to do the regular service, it helps I like my dealer.
I’m not changing anything except tires and brakes for 8 years!!

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
Maybe, maybe not.
Dodge could be calling the muffler delete Tuning.I think most of us would call it a mod.......ummmmm.....kind of a cheap mod for such an expensive car.

The article also stated “They pulled the computer and clearly see it was a faulty engine lost compression and was their fault. From what Dodge told the dealer yesterday, they said this is not the first 2023 this happened.”

This is like I can't remember his name who had a CAI on and had to prove it didn't blow his engine........and he did.

Being on the forum where Dodge has people watching is a good place to post about it.
The owner's manual clearly states that altering the emissions system voids the warranty and the exhaust system is part of the emissions system.

OP
HWDan

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
Thread Starter #6
There is a picture of the 'request history' and although his fingers are in the way, you can make out a line "performance calibration installed - vehicle has been tuned". The likely reason for the denial, not the muffler delete.

Probably had that dreaded P1400 code set?

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
If the cost to fix this is truly $36K I’d put a built 426 in it and screw the original engine

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 CHALLENGER HELLCAT TorRed RED / REDEYE
I bought the extended warranty for my 2022 SS and I even have the dealer change the oil for this reason! Goes in every six months regardless of miles for them to do the regular service, it helps I like my dealer.
I’m not changing anything except tires and brakes for 8 years!!
I'm in total agreement with you! I have done the same since 2015, with our first Challenger Hellcat. Now, with our third new Hellcat, 2022 Red/Challenger Redeye, I purchased an 8 year warranty (MAX). The MOPAR warranty is much cheaper if you shop online. The only modification is weather tech car mats and all service is done at a Dodge dealer, lucky they have good coupons. Better safe, than sorry!!!

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
I bought the extended warranty and the dealership was nice enough to send me a check back in full.
They new I started modifying ;)

You Play...... You pay!

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I didn't watch...

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
I did (in addition to reading some [updated] articles). It's tuned, the denial has nothing to do with the muffler delete (which was noted by the dealer), the owner just did that to try to get traction in social media, no doubt thinking that was gonna help his case...

WRONG. If you wanna play you gotta pay and you can't expect a manufacturer to cover the damage caused by a clearly faulty tune; his beef is with his tuner, who I'm sure already told him to pound sand and at this point I'm more interested in who the tuner was actually. And if he tuned it himself which is also a possibility? He can find the guy to blame staring back at him from a mirror.

If he was that amped to get MOAR power and was worried about his warranty, he could have gone with the stage kits from Direct Connection. Make a whole lot less power for a whole lot more money than any of our resident reputable tuners but he'd still have a warranty if that was his concern...

This whole situation reminds me of a LONG time ago on the LXF when Diablosport first came out with their tuners for the 5.7 Hemi. Within a month at least 3 idiots lunched their motors because they (1) turned the knock sensors completely off and (2) cranked the timing up as much as they "thought" they could get away with it. It was comical, but par for the course when you don't know what you're doing I suppose...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
The owner's manual clearly states that altering the emissions system voids the warranty and the exhaust system is part of the emissions system.
This. If you violate the law (removing emissions related items) they manufacturer will generally void the warranty absolutely.

Personally, I think its pretty weak to pull the mid-muffler. Doesn't make sense to me unless you're doing more to it... Unless you're doing it to custom tune your sound. I've done that on other cars - resonators, x-pipes, muffler, glasspacks, etc... I think the fear is that some things that might not actually effect emissions, like these sound mods, might appear to effect emissions, or require extensive testing in each case to see what the effect actually is, and the manufacturer, for ease of handling, just say, F-it, if you mess w the exhaust system, we're invalidating it to avoid potential liability.