Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Jeep Grand Cherokee L

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Anyone actually looked at one yet? Dealers in PHX still don't have them.

This will likely be the next vehicle for my wife but we got rid of our GC because there wasn't enough room, otherwise she loved it.

Appears the 5.7 isn't available unless you get the top of the line model, which is total crap.

Also considering a GCSRT for my Winter car...

Last edited:

CPRHDSRT

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fork
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HC Challenger
Also considering a GCSRT for my Winter car...
If you don't need 3 rows - it's a hoot as a daily / winter ...

20171217_111806.jpg 20171217_111741.jpg

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
If you don't need 3 rows - it's a hoot as a daily / winter ...

View attachment 49954 View attachment 49955
That's a great looking Jeep! We had a non SRT and loved it but got something bigger with 3 rows. Now looking to trade that in on an L for the wife and I might pick up an SRT for my Winter/daily while keeping my BMW as my commuter car.

CPRHDSRT

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fork
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HC Challenger
Thanks. Wondering if they will continue to offer the 6.4L in the new GC / GCL - sure hope so but with the electrification craze you just don't know.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
My only gripe about the Durango was it seemed difficult to get into the 3rd row. Was hoping this might be different but I think I'd want the 5.7 in the L.

It'll be the wife's car so the V6 will do if I snag something with a V8 and some towing capacity.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
My only gripe about the Durango was it seemed difficult to get into the 3rd row. Was hoping this might be different but I think I'd want the 5.7 in the L.

It'll be the wife's car so the V6 will do if I snag something with a V8 and some towing capacity.
My sister has a '20 Durango and I've ridden in the 3rd row. I'm 6' and I didn't have a problem getting back there and I had reasonable room with another adult back there. Not as easy as a minivan, but you'd probably just get one of those if ultimate people moving utility was top priority.

Dealers around me are starting to get the GCLs in and I've seen a few running around. But I've not looked at them other than peeking in the window of one on the dealer lot. Interior looks nice. Not a fan of the front bumper/lower grille area.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
My sister has a '20 Durango and I've ridden in the 3rd row. I'm 6' and I didn't have a problem getting back there and I had reasonable room with another adult back there. Not as easy as a minivan, but you'd probably just get one of those if ultimate people moving utility was top priority.

Dealers around me are starting to get the GCLs in and I've seen a few running around. But I've not looked at them other than peeking in the window of one on the dealer lot. Interior looks nice. Not a fan of the front bumper/lower grille area.
My dealer asked what I thought I told him I didn’t like the front end. Told him looked to much like a Ford Flex. He said that hurt deep real deep.
there are some nice things about it. But nothing I was to crazy about for the money. Yep I have sat 3rd row in a Durango and I am over 6ft

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Can this thing fit a 4 x 8 sheet / stack of plywood in the back? Still thinking the Expedition EL (MAX, now, I should say) is the better pick, but will wait to see it in person and inspect.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Can this thing fit a 4 x 8 sheet / stack of plywood in the back? Still thinking the Expedition EL (MAX, now, I should say) is the better pick, but will wait to see it in person and inspect.
Probably won't fit plywood. Not really apples to apples though. This is a 'mid-size' unibody (even though it's still huge). The Expedition is a 'full-size' body on frame vehicle (like a proper truck). A better comparison would be with the Grand Wagoneer. Or comparing the GCL to the Explorer.

Purrfect

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger
Tempe dodge has em

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
Tempe dodge has em
Yeah, looks like they're trickling in now. I'm on the West side of the valley and it looks like some have gone from "in transit" to actually on the lots. I'll have to check them out when I get back in town.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #14
Well we bought one this weekend. Got the Overland, which is pretty loaded out inside and has the Quadra Trac II drive train with the air suspension. This thing should make a good family hauler that can handle the snow/trails we'll find ourselves on.

Learned a lot this week. Supply chain shortages are forcing Jeep to build cars without tow packages and now they are even sending Overland trims out the door without the air ride suspension (standard on an Overland) because they just don't have the parts to make it happen.

Luckily I was visiting my parents for the weekend and found this one in small town Idaho. The dealer received it before the shortage issues I guess so it's fully option like it should be. The only one with 300 miles of where I live that had everything. Not my favorite color but it's it's wife's vehicle and the dealer actually gave me a great deal on it.

The interior is pretty nice and with the air ride suspension and acoustic glass, this thing is pretty nice to drive.

https://www.ronsayerschryslerjeepdo...-overland-4x4-sport-utility-1c4rjkdg1m8129086

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Nice! Velvet red is an awesome color (same as Octane red). Velvet red is the only actual *color* you can get right now anyway on those. Kind of disappointing you can't get a blue or a green. The Baltic gray isn't bad, but I'm so tired of white/black/grayscale cars.

Hoping to get the wife a new 2-row GC when her lease is up in 6 months. Don't need the 3rd row now that the kids are grown and I like the front end of the 2-row a little better.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
Nice! Velvet red is an awesome color (same as Octane red). Velvet red is the only actual *color* you can get right now anyway on those. Kind of disappointing you can't get a blue or a green. The Baltic gray isn't bad, but I'm so tired of white/black/grayscale cars.

Hoping to get the wife a new 2-row GC when her lease is up in 6 months. Don't need the 3rd row now that the kids are grown and I like the front end of the 2-row a little better.
I like the two row better too, we just need the space.

I was going to order one with the two tone like you have pictured above with the 5.7L as well. After speaking with dealers, I wasn't going to get simple things like a tow hitch (which kind of defeated the purpose of the 5.7L and I plan on using a hitch mounted bike rack) and the air suspension (not a deal breaker but if I'm paying for an Overland, I should get the standard equipment.) They said sunroofs are next on the hit list.

Said all the equipment is being used on the Wagoneers since they're more expensive.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Makes sense. They are having a hell of a time across the board, so if you can only build some vehicles, it might as well be the high dollar/high profit versions.

The credit given for missing features is a joke though. I think it's only like $750 for the missing air suspension.

On a separate note, I hate all the glossy 'piano black' trim and buttons. Fingerprint magnets that scratch way too easy.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle