Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Magnuson Moss - Warranty Act

Yoguard

Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat
Magnuson Moss-Warranty Act, US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50 Sections 2301-2312 https://www.carid.com/magnuson-moss-warranty-act.html I think members have referred to this before, but with people having to deal with hardass dealers, this info can help. Sorry if redundant...

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
This is good reference information!
Thanks for the post and I hope I never have to use it.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Good stuff, bump, bump, bump. Hopefully everyone has a cooperative dealer who would like to sell you future cars AND services.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Don't bother reading about the act, just lawyer up and let them handle the big words.
Then it boils down to who is willing to spend what in court.

Useful information otherwise.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Yeah. That act was absolutely necessary because dealers were denying warranty claims on everything. Not just parts related to any aftermarket install.

Sorry but we can't fix your power window glitch under warranty because you switched out the exhaust. Dealers used any excuse to NOT honor warranty claim.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Schaumburg
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I think for something blatant like that, the Moss act is very handy and can be helpful.. where the problem comes in , lots of car groups/forums people will ask questions will this or that void my warranty and people start chiming in quoting the moss act telling people do the mod, dealer or dodge has to cover it etc... but unless people are prepared to pay a lawyer and spend lots of time and money its an uphill battle . Dodge has got plenty of time and money to drag through months of legal battles. The Average person can't afford it. That 400 dollar intake you buy ends up costing you thousands of dollars in legal fees and months of stress and frustration if something on the engine fails that has nothing to do with an intake.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I think for something blatant like that, the Moss act is very handy and can be helpful.. where the problem comes in , lots of car groups/forums people will ask questions will this or that void my warranty and people start chiming in quoting the moss act telling people do the mod, dealer or dodge has to cover it etc... but unless people are prepared to pay a lawyer and spend lots of time and money its an uphill battle . Dodge has got plenty of time and money to drag through months of legal battles. The Average person can't afford it. That 400 dollar intake you buy ends up costing you thousands of dollars in legal fees and months of stress and frustration if something on the engine fails that has nothing to do with an intake.
Exactly. I got into a heated (well he got heated - i just shook my head) with someone on another forum who was posting about how he was going to this, that, and the other to his brand new ride, and was psyched because it had a full warranty. I chimed in and said he would probably void it if he did all that. He then proceeded to tell me I didnt know ”shit” and that I was a tool - to do my research about the Moss act and that everyone loves to say it will void warranty but never backs it up with anyone who has had it happen. Plenty have had warranty denied, otherwise he wouldnt be spouting off about it.
Sure the act is there for reference but be prepared to cough up legal fees to fight when using it. Unless you're chasing a big dollar repair, by the time you possibly win you have spent more than most average repairs wouldve been. It’s not like you go into court and wave a paper around and win.
This guy was triggered and completely belligerent. Obviously your typical sue happy, “im not taking responsibility for my actions” consumer. Total nightmare customer.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
Just like the oil change demands made by FCA. totally bullshit. but it would cost more to fight in court than what you would gain, if you had a failure that was denied because of maintenance records.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Schaumburg
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Exactly. I got into a heated (well he got heated - i just shook my head) with someone on another forum who was posting about how he was going to this, that, and the other to his brand new ride, and was psyched because it had a full warranty. I chimed in and said he would probably void it if he did all that. He then proceeded to tell me I didnt know ”shit” and that I was a tool - to do my research about the Moss act and that everyone loves to say it will void warranty but never backs it up with anyone who has had it happen. Plenty have had warranty denied, otherwise he wouldnt be spouting off about it.
Sure the act is there for reference but be prepared to cough up legal fees to fight when using it. Unless you're chasing a big dollar repair, by the time you possibly win you have spent more than most average repairs wouldve been. It’s not like you go into court and wave a paper around and win.
This guy was triggered and completely belligerent. Obviously your typical sue happy, “im not taking responsibility for my actions” consumer. Total nightmare customer.
ahh yea LOL been there done that... some of the funniest debates are on the Facebook pages of Mopar groups. I see that exact discussion you noted played out time and time again. People just don't get it.

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act also forces manufacturers to pay 100% of the claimant’s attorney’s fees if the claimant prevails against the manufacturer.

For those who don't know.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law

Section 110(d) of the Act makes breach of warranty a violation of federal law, and enables consumers to recover attorneys' fees.

Consumer Lawsuits
The Act makes it easier for purchasers to sue for breach of warranty by making breach of warranty a violation of federal law, and by allowing consumers to recover court costs and reasonable attorneys' fees. This means that if you lose a lawsuit for breach of either a written or an implied warranty, you may have to pay the customer's costs for bringing the suit, including lawyer's fees.

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Somehow missed this topic. Here's the law.

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act requires manufacturers to honor their warranties and auto manufacturers only warrant their vehicles against manufacturing defects. Dodge can void your warranty coverage if you blow the motor with NOS (or whatever, pick your poison) because the failure was not due to a defect in a factory component. It was caused by something added to the car: the nitrous oxide injection system which was not part of your car to begin with. That added / changed part caused a non-defective part to fail. Your mod did not void the warranty. The warranty does not apply if the failure is not caused by a factory defect.

Now, as pointed out, you can go to court saying that the added part had nothing to do with the failure, but that'll cost money and time. And manufacturers love to say "the warranty is automatically voided" even though that's not true. Know your rights and if you have time and / or money to fight it, fight it. I've seen things I could NOT BELIEVE were eventually warrantied because they went through the process. And if you're in my area and have this problem, I'd be glad to help.