Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Manual Returns for 2023 so they say

Member ID
Reactions
City
Irvine
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Hellcat 6-sp
  • In ProductionDec-09-2023
It's awesome you have a car built in December 2023!

How does the 6 speed drive, good? I hear some complain about it.
I've driven so many three pedal cars in my life, strongly doubt this one will be near bottom of my list.
Sorry I just copied that from the Dodge build Tracker, it showed December build and did not change even after the car was delivered!

The 6 speed is fantastic, having a supercharged V8 717hp under your absolute Controll is something no future generation will ever have the privilege of experiencing. I bought this so my kids at lease with have that pleasure.

Overall it is a great gearbox, has long throws, slightly notchy, but works well.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Get rid of that Clutch Delay Valve...totally changed my M6 experience. Many say yes, some said no difference, but haven't heard anyone ever say it made it worse.

Feel free to search CDV Delete or clutch delay valve. Lot's of remarks on that around here.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Swamp
State
DC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger
Get rid of that Clutch Delay Valve...totally changed my M6 experience. Many say yes, some said no difference, but haven't heard anyone ever say it made it worse.

Feel free to search CDV Delete or clutch delay valve. Lot's of remarks on that around here.
I drive a M6 Scat Pack, over 12k miles now. Have no concerns on clutch. What does deleting valve do?
The engineers put it there for comfort or wear and tear ? I've read JDM market cars have this too.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Irvine
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Hellcat 6-sp

With 717hp, I would be concerned that each shift would put tremendous stress on the diff during each shift.

I used to have a Honda S2000 and the engineers put the CDV in there to protect the diff from grenading.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
With 717hp, I would be concerned that each shift would put tremendous stress on the diff during each shift.

I used to have a Honda S2000 and the engineers put the CDV in there to protect the diff from grenading.
I drive a M6 Scat Pack, over 12k miles now. Have no concerns on clutch. What does deleting valve do?
The engineers put it there for comfort or wear and tear ? I've read JDM market cars have this too.
I believe the idea of the CDV was to protect the driveline for people that do clutch dumps, whether on purpose or because they don't know how to drive a manual. Yes, with that much power, if you dump the clutch, you're going to do damage. However, if you're proficient at driving a manual, and know you shouldn't do clutch dumps (and certainly don't need to do to spin the tires) then the delay valve comes at a cost in drivability.

If I'm trying to make a turn with oncoming traffic, then I don't need a delay (inconsistent delay) in my clutch response/engagement point. When I bought my M6, I had seriously questioned my purchase to buy a manual, considering I drove manuals pretty much exclusively since I was 16. Once I ripped that sucker out, I was back to joyous M6 driving. As I said, some people have not noticed a difference, but most have reported a better driving experience.

That is my experience.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Irvine
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Hellcat 6-sp
is removing the CDV pretty straightforward?

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
is removing the CDV pretty straightforward?
Yes, for the most part if you're somewhat handy. If you jack up the car, get under and remove the clutch line going into the Slave Cylinder, there are two plastic flow restrictors shoved into the slave side inlet tube. You pull those out with a long, coarse woodscrew and then plug the clutch line back in. These cars are self bleeding, so if you press the clutch pedal like 20+ times, it will remove any air bubbles introduced.

The only thing that made me a little nervous was removing the small metal C-clip on the clutch line. If you lose that taking off or putting back on, you could be screwed if you didn't have a backup. I'm sure if's a little hard to understand without some pictures.

If you're serious, I can probably find some pictures and a write up somewhere around here. I know I have a picture of the two valves and wood screw somewhere too.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Irvine
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Hellcat 6-sp
Thank you sir, I'm sure there is a Youtube vid for this.

I am just enjoying the car as is now getting used to the sounds, smells, power (oh the power!), I have an E39 M5 and that thing feels like a Prius after driving this beast.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I never removed the CDV, and after 13kmi I have no idea why I would want to. It took about 10kmi for the clutch to break in, it was incredibly grippy, like velcro and would almost stall the car. The fly by wire throttle is not responsive enough to compensate for the grippy clutch.

After about 10kmi, everything became more normal. I have no plans to delete the CDV as I have absolutely no issues with the way it behaves. You absolutely need a Barton shifter. A 3.90 is nice but hurts gas mileage.

In normal driving, the M6 is way more fun than the A8. But the A8 is king at the dragway, and when that MC pulls up next to you on the highway at 70! :)

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
I never removed the CDV, and after 13kmi I have no idea why I would want to. It took about 10kmi for the clutch to break in, it was incredibly grippy, like velcro and would almost stall the car. The fly by wire throttle is not responsive enough to compensate for the grippy clutch.

After about 10kmi, everything became more normal. I have no plans to delete the CDV as I have absolutely no issues with the way it behaves. You absolutely need a Barton shifter. A 3.90 is nice but hurts gas mileage.

In normal driving, the M6 is way more fun than the A8. But the A8 is king at the dragway, and when that MC pulls up next to you on the highway at 70! :)
Don’t knock it until you try it!

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Don’t knock it until you try it!
Yeah, but it's a bunch of work for something I'm sure will be worth it. Please tell me again, what does it really do for the driving experience? I have no prob doing it, I just don't want to do it, then undo it.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Yeah, but it's a bunch of work for something I'm sure will be worth it. Please tell me again, what does it really do for the driving experience? I have no prob doing it, I just don't want to do it, then undo it.
I bet it was more work to put in that Barton than to do the CDV delete.

Honestly, I'm just going on my own absolute experience, never driven any other Hellcat or Challenger for that matter. However, it was immediately apparent to me when I got my 2017 Hellcat that from stop to stop driving, the clutch engagement point was completely inconsistent. I expect the clutch to grab at a point to give it throttle and I'd nearly stall (into oncoming traffic). Then next stop, it would engage at the point I thought it would. It wasn't just getting used to this clutch versus others, it was completely inconsistent and somewhat worrisome in city type driving. I just put 5 hours of driving on mine this Sunday, and 3+ hours of that was in traffic in my parts, and it would've been miserable if I still had this problem.

I'm not saying everyone experiences the same problem, but enough people have complained about it and felt a greater improvement after doing this. And also, it could also be if this is your only current manual that you just got used to somewhat feathering the clutch to get used to it. Since 16, I've pretty much always had two manual cars at the same time, so I could never get used to hellcat in the OEM form. My Viper is completely different, much lower engagement point, feels like a wet noodle, and all pedals completely shifted to the left. But even with that, the the Hellcat with the CDV installed very very apparent of its inconsistency and abnormality to me.

Long story short, if you don't have a problem, or don't feel the inconsistency that I'm describing, then don't worry. I only preach this because to me was so profound.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I Love the manual - for a street car its the only way to go as far as I am concerned. For a drag car I wish I was as good at shifting as the auto, but I really bought the car for the street. Always wanted that manual muscle car. The 11.54 ET feels great (for my shifting anyway) and I always want to do better, but you cant replace that 1-2 or 2-3 shift feel even at half throttle on the street with any automatic...

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I bet it was more work to put in that Barton than to do the CDV delete.

Honestly, I'm just going on my own absolute experience, never driven any other Hellcat or Challenger for that matter. However, it was immediately apparent to me when I got my 2017 Hellcat that from stop to stop driving, the clutch engagement point was completely inconsistent. I expect the clutch to grab at a point to give it throttle and I'd nearly stall (into oncoming traffic). Then next stop, it would engage at the point I thought it would. It wasn't just getting used to this clutch versus others, it was completely inconsistent and somewhat worrisome in city type driving. I just put 5 hours of driving on mine this Sunday, and 3+ hours of that was in traffic in my parts, and it would've been miserable if I still had this problem.

I'm not saying everyone experiences the same problem, but enough people have complained about it and felt a greater improvement after doing this. And also, it could also be if this is your only current manual that you just got used to somewhat feathering the clutch to get used to it. Since 16, I've pretty much always had two manual cars at the same time, so I could never get used to hellcat in the OEM form. My Viper is completely different, much lower engagement point, feels like a wet noodle, and all pedals completely shifted to the left. But even with that, the the Hellcat with the CDV installed very very apparent of its inconsistency and abnormality to me.

Long story short, if you don't have a problem, or don't feel the inconsistency that I'm describing, then don't worry. I only preach this because to me was so profound.
Maybe the '20's are different. A friend had a '16 M6 which got me started on this trek. His '16 had the baby elephant clutch, I was worried my wife would be unable to drive it. When I got this '20, I was shocked that it was pretty much "normal". My friend with the '16 called it "girly"! :LOL:

I'm guessing they changed a bunch of things, perhaps they improved the CDV as well. Now that the clutch is broken it, it drives like a normal car, well, as "normal" as a HC can be! :)

When I got the RE I thought I would see which I liked better and sell the other, both are currently selling for more than I paid. But I'm old, and lately the cars have been doing better than my portfolio, and the M6 is just so much more fun to drive around town, I decided to keep both, at least for a while. BTW: You get waaaay more SC whine from the M6! :):):) What really pi55es me off is the 30% increase in insurance!!!!#*^#^%*%!@$#(*!!!