Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Mid size SUV help?

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Hey guys, need your expert advice. We're looking at mid-size SUV's to replace our sedan and are having some first world problems. Here are the cars we've narrowed down, in no particular order:
  1. 2020 Jeep GC High Altitude, fully loaded, either V6 or V8
  2. 2020 Range Rover Velar S P340 or P240
  3. 2020 Porshe Macan (maybe the S package, but unlikely)
Does anyone have experience with any, or all, of these vehicles and can provide some feedback? The Jeep is the cheapest of the group, and the most loaded. But it's an expensive non-SRT Jeep. The other two are not as loaded but they're classy and look great. Decisions, decisions...

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Take this with a grain of salt but I have friends in the auto sales business and they have told me repeatedly to stay away from any of the Range/Land Rover products as they don't have great durability, or resale value. They say the resale value after a few years is so bad that they send them straight to auction and don't even bother to sell them on their lots. It they get one that needs repairs, they don't even bother to repair it because the parts are expensive. I think that last part happens with any of the higher priced Euro vehicles. I couldn't believe how much a mirror switch cost for an E-Class Mercedes I used to own.
I have been tempted by nice looking used Rovers in the past and been warned about them numerous times.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Same on Range Rover...mainly electrical problems...but no first hand experience.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I agree with the Range/Land Rover comments above. For resale I guess the Porsche. But again if anything goes for a poo. $$$$
Ok while on warranty but then?
I know they have great quality and what not. But shit goes wrong with anything. Rated well or not.
The Jeep is nice and reliability has improved a bunch. But there will be a hit initially in value.
It would be my choice though for long term.
Basically you have 2 choices.😉
If you do choose the other one just make sure a dealer is reasonably close incase.
They are nice when they work.🤷‍♂️

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Hey guys, need your expert advice. We're looking at mid-size SUV's to replace our sedan and are having some first world problems. Here are the cars we've narrowed down, in no particular order:
  1. 2020 Jeep GC High Altitude, fully loaded, either V6 or V8
  2. 2020 Range Rover Velar S P340 or P240
  3. 2020 Porshe Macan (maybe the S package, but unlikely)
Does anyone have experience with any, or all, of these vehicles and can provide some feedback? The Jeep is the cheapest of the group, and the most loaded. But it's an expensive non-SRT Jeep. The other two are not as loaded but they're classy and look great. Decisions, decisions...
Range Rover residual...terrible ..jeep probably the best residual.....

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Love the Macan but...my wife had a Cayenne S and my buddy had a Cayenne GTS...beware the service costs. A simple oil change service will make your eyes bleed. It was an outrage but when a person in a perfectly clean and pressed white lab coat greets you, well...somebody gettin' paid!

Can't speak to Range Rover.

Have owned 4 Grand Cherokee's over time (2 SRT's). Had great experiences with each and the SRT's were the best. Haven't been in the High Altitude.

Happy shopping and let us know where you end up.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
No bias here. 😂 Durango SRT FTW. 😁

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Being in the car business my advice is steer clear of the prestige stuff unless you dump it right before the factory warranty is up. Nightmares to own and repair. Repair costs are RIDICULOUS. The Jeep? Not so much.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
We're about to trade in a perfectly good Macan Turbo, which my girlfriend really, really likes.
Will she prefer the Trackhawk that's on order? My guess is that within two years she'll get her third Macan.

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Of the three I lean towards the JGC, but I also agree with @Purerock105 on the SRT Durango.

OP
Phizzle

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. We're leaning on the Jeep too. I'll keep you all posted on what we end up getting in the near future.

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Porsche Macao is more compact suv sized. Not sure about the RR, but I think that’s the small one as well.

The cayenne and RR sport/discovery would be the mid sized models for both those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
No bias here. 😂 Durango SRT FTW. 😁
I am considering trading my Hummer H3T for a Durango SRT. I think it is categorized mid-size SUV. Trying to get info on how quick, and how good it handles/brakes. Would love to hear your experiences!

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Also, it seems used Trackhawk 20Kish miles is about same price as new Durango SRT. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
To me those are all fairly small vehicles, I guess they are "mid" size, but I like my trucks big, otherwise what's the point??? I have driven the Porsches, and they drive great but are TINY! Yeah wouldn't touch a Rover, of those 3 a Jeep is kind of a no-brainer.

I will just throw this out there, buy a Toyota or Lexus truck/SUV. Reasonable purchase price, outstanding reliability and resale.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Also, it seems used Trackhawk 20Kish miles is about same price as new Durango SRT. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?
As EricG would say: A no-brainer.

After all, why did you get a Hellcat instead of a V6 or N/A V8?

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
I am considering trading my Hummer H3T for a Durango SRT. I think it is categorized mid-size SUV. Trying to get info on how quick, and how good it handles/brakes. Would love to hear your experiences!
It is but with the 3rd row. The DSRT plays small and big depending. It won't fit in my garage, but at times feels small too. The ALL Wheel Drive is where it's at. It just hooks up. In another thread I stated its definitely feels faster than my HCC up to about 60-65 because it gets the power down.

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
I’ve had a RangeRover sport and currently Evoque,both nice cars to drive and zero problems with eight years ownership between them,but as others have said residual is not good.
How about the all new Land Rover Defender that’s coming out any day now?I think they may hold their value a bit better.

OP
Phizzle

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
To me those are all fairly small vehicles, I guess they are "mid" size, but I like my trucks big, otherwise what's the point??? I have driven the Porsches, and they drive great but are TINY! Yeah wouldn't touch a Rover, of those 3 a Jeep is kind of a no-brainer.

I will just throw this out there, buy a Toyota or Lexus truck/SUV. Reasonable purchase price, outstanding reliability and resale.
We were thinking about Lexus but have had them before and want to change it up a bit. Wifey loves the look of the 3 vehicles I mentioned above, but she has always leaned towards the Jeep.

Idk, maybe we'll give it another try with Lexus...

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I’ve had a RangeRover sport and currently Evoque,both nice cars to drive and zero problems with eight years ownership between them,but as others have said residual is not good.
So the RHD versions are more dependable, you say?
Good to know, since I have three RHD vehicles (no Range Rovers, though).