Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Motorcycles Lane Filtering: who has the right of way?

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
So lane filtering is legal here in Utah (not lane splitting).

https://ridetolive.utah.gov/lane-filtering/

Guy pulls up between myself and another car at a stop light. Light turns green and everyone starts driving but he doesn’t accelerate away like you’d expect (at least not away from the Hellcat).

Now he’s riding between two cars and both lanes are about to turn opposite directions, where is he supposed to go? Now he is technically lane splitting, which isn’t legal.

I can’t find any law regarding the right of way for this here in Utah. Also not sure how I’m supposed to know what his intentions are.

How do motorcyclist view this? My guess is they pull up and should just accelerate out in front of everyone but technically there isn’t anything saying that the cars around them have to accommodate them, though hopefully nobody wants to create a dangerous situation, I’m sure there are plenty of people who don’t want to let a motorcycle “cut them off” or someone in a hurry accelerates quickly at the green light when the motorcycle doesn’t expect it.

Seems almost all the liability would fall on the motorcycle.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
:unsure:

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Probably get backlash but if they want to die its their choice. I'm so sick of them its not even funny. It should be look twice and save your own life, shouldn't be our responsibility to watch for those ass-hats.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
When I was in London last May that’s all we saw. Motorcyclists rode between lanes all the time and everywhere. They were almost always moving faster than the cars with just a couple inches of clearance on either side. Our chauffeurs were surprised to hear it wasn’t legal in the States. Not sure what they did when one lane turned left and the other right. Everyone was driving on the wrong side of the road anyway.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Okay, I am a long term rider. So lets stop the shit about motorcycle riders! If you don't ride, shut up. @AeroF16 poses a great question.

Dudes my age who have been riding, and are not dead, don't do shit like the young ones, and can teach PHD level defensive driving. I would NEVER lane split. I just saw this lane filtering shit. It is absolutely clear, the motorcyclist must yield, period. That is a pretty safe place to allow the bikers to get between the STOPPED traffic. I have been rear ended at a stop light in my Tahoe. If that happened on my bike, then?

But clearly the biker would be illegal if he took off and accelerated especially with a Hellcat. They MUST yield as the traffic goes in motion, and take a place as safety permits. The law he posted is very clear.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I’m not ever driving a motorcycle in London!:unsure:

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I’m not ever driving a motorcycle in London!:unsure:
I won't even drive a car. It was nuts. It would take like 30 minutes to go 5 miles. Any gap in traffic was instantly filled by another vehicle.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
Okay, I am a long term rider. So lets stop the shit about motorcycle riders! If you don't ride, shut up. @AeroF16 poses a great question.

Dudes my age who have been riding, and are not dead, don't do shit like the young ones, and can teach PHD level defensive driving. I would NEVER lane split. I just saw this lane filtering shit. It is absolutely clear, the motorcyclist must yield, period. That is a pretty safe place to allow the bikers to get between the STOPPED traffic. I have been rear ended at a stop light in my Tahoe. If that happened on my bike, then?

But clearly the biker would be illegal if he took off and accelerated especially with a Hellcat. They MUST yield as the traffic goes in motion, and take a place as safety permits. The law he posted is very clear.
I just watched the videos for the first time after you posted this and it does show that it is on the motorcycle to safely merge back in.

I wasn’t being a jerk to him but I was very unsure about what the hell was going on, what his intentions were, and who the hell had the right of way. He acted as if I did something wrong, so I came home and looked it up.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
When I was in London last May that’s all we saw. Motorcyclists rode between lanes all the time and everywhere. They were almost always moving faster than the cars with just a couple inches of clearance on either side. Our chauffeurs were surprised to hear it wasn’t legal in the States. Not sure what they did when one lane turned left and the other right. Everyone was driving on the wrong side of the road anyway.
One thing Iv'e learned in 45 yrs of riding It doesn't matter what the law is..or who has the right of way for that matter...your safety..and self preservation is YOUR responsibility..every car you encounter...(moving or parked) poses a threat to your safety and well being...always maintain a safe distance...maintain your equipment,,and do a visual inspection of your bike before EVERY trip...even with these safeguards...there is always the element of danger...I still ride and will continue to do so for as long as I can

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB

Long time rider here also and I agree with you 100% @DGatzby. I did a few years out in Commifornia where lane splitting is legal and I was like WTF? Are these people crazy? Swore I’d never do it and never did. There’s enough shit to look out for without putting myself in spots people won’t see me. People that want to do it, we’ll, that’s their business and I wish ‘em luck.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Long time rider here also and I agree with you 100% @DGatzby. I did a few years out in Commifornia where lane splitting is legal and I was like WTF? Are these people crazy? Swore I’d never do it and never did. There’s enough shit to look out for without putting myself in spots people won’t see me. People that want to do it, we’ll, that’s their business and I wish ‘em luck.
I see the sportbike set (yeah I ride them too) do that on the intestate here daily...incredibly dangerous..and there usually @ triple digits.. sportbikes today exceeds 99% of most of these kids capabilities..

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I just watched the videos for the first time after you posted this and it does show that it is on the motorcycle to safely merge back in.

I wasn’t being a jerk to him but I was very unsure about what the hell was going on, what his intentions were, and who the hell had the right of way. He acted as if I did something wrong, so I came home and looked it up.
Yep, he was being an ass. I bet he was entirely taken back when the Hellcat began accelerating;)

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I see the sportbike set (yeah I ride them too) do that on the intestate here daily...incredibly dangerous..and there usually @ triple digits.. sportbikes today exceeds 99% of most of these kids capabilities..
Drove one ONCE! It was my buddies bike. We were out at bike week, my Harley was running spot on and it is quick. We were in rural Wyoming. So no flying insects and lots of visual for animals. So we are passing this car, and I am at the 125 mark. The damn Harley can’t do much better, it is a ‘93 and it don’t have an overdrive (yet). He goes around me!!

I pull over and say that’s fuckin it, give me the bike and let me try that shit. Well, it went 150 or something like in seconds. That was enough. Pulled back over, and gave it back. Never want to ride one again. I have done some Boss Hogs and would do one anytime, almost bought one. But, those sport bikes, well the real high end ones anyway are beyond nuts!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
How many die doing it out in commy-ville. It simply is the most wild and dumb thing I have ever seen.

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
So lane filtering is legal here in Utah (not lane splitting).

https://ridetolive.utah.gov/lane-filtering/

Guy pulls up between myself and another car at a stop light. Light turns green and everyone starts driving but he doesn’t accelerate away like you’d expect (at least not away from the Hellcat).

Now he’s riding between two cars and both lanes are about to turn opposite directions, where is he supposed to go? Now he is technically lane splitting, which isn’t legal.

I can’t find any law regarding the right of way for this here in Utah. Also not sure how I’m supposed to know what his intentions are.

How do motorcyclist view this? My guess is they pull up and should just accelerate out in front of everyone but technically there isn’t anything saying that the cars around them have to accommodate them, though hopefully nobody wants to create a dangerous situation, I’m sure there are plenty of people who don’t want to let a motorcycle “cut them off” or someone in a hurry accelerates quickly at the green light when the motorcycle doesn’t expect it.

Seems almost all the liability would fall on the motorcycle.
Just another mistake made by the legislature. IIRC a nearby state had this and for whatever reason Utah followed.

Many years ago, the drivers license division, insurance agents and even Police were telling motorcycle owners/riders they were not required to have liability insurance. I became aware of this and contacted a DL area supervisor I knew. It took a month, but it got squared away.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Just another mistake made by the legislature. IIRC a nearby state had this and for whatever reason Utah followed.

Many years ago, the drivers license division, insurance agents and even Police were telling motorcycle owners/riders they were not required to have liability insurance. I became aware of this and contacted a DL area supervisor I knew. It took a month, but it got squared away.
No liability coverage required..That's insane..for the operator...and the general public...:rolleyes:

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Ive ridden for 42 yrs. I’d never do that. That's pure dumbassery. Imo he has no right of way. He gets hit riding like that…did it to himself.
Literally everything on the road is trying to kill you when you’re on a motorcycle and you’re going to contribute to it by being a jack ass.
You split, cheat, blend, filter lanes - whatever you want to call it, legal or not you lose any right of way imo.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Ive ridden for 42 yrs. I’d never do that. That's pure dumbassery. Imo he has no right of way. He gets hit riding like that…did it to himself.
Literally everything on the road is trying to kill you when you’re on a motorcycle and you’re going to contribute to it by being a jack ass.
You split, cheat, blend, filter lanes - whatever you want to call it, legal or not you lose any right of way imo.
Amazing..on this issue we are in full agreement..while certainly not the most eloquent dissertation..your points are well made...and I am at a loss for any of my usual smart ass retorts ...kudos poke...;)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle